The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Poor Poor Pitiful Me
C. Eric Banister

Scottsburg, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 6:42 am    

Anyone know of any tab for the Terri Clark version of Poor Poor Pitiful Me? Particularly the solo break.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 6:52 pm    

Hey Eric, is that solo steel on Terri's version? I thought that was guitar....I'll have to hunt it up and listen to it online.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2022 7:31 pm    

I just listened and it's probably lap steel. I didn't hear any pedal work. Paul Franklin is credited with pedal and lap steel on the album.

Might even be slide guitar.....but I don't remember Brent Mason doing a lot of that.

C. Eric Banister

Scottsburg, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 8:34 am    

Thanks guys. I initially thought it was lap steel. Most of the live clips her guitarist plays it as a non-slide solo. When she did it on the Opry last year, Tommy White played all the parts on steel. I guess I'll just pick one and dive in!

George Biner

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 2:57 pm    

I've been coincidentally listening to that track lately -- it's a great sounding track. I do suspect however that Terri's vocals are auto-tuned but I can't prove it - if so, yeech, she's a great singer and doesn't need that.

I always thought that the solo is a regular guitar with a lot of bending -- I'll have to go back and compare versions but isn't it a clone of the Waddy Wachtel solo from the Linda Ronstadt version? Waddy never played steel that I know of.

And it's cool cuz it has lots of cowbell!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 11:33 am    

My bad Eric. I just assumed you were asking about pedal steel. Didn't really read your post very well.

Still haven't listened to the Terri cut, but Paul with a little edge, on lap steel makes sense for the tune.

C. Eric Banister

Scottsburg, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 6:14 am    

No problem at all, Jerry.

The more I listened to it, comparing it with Tommy Whites' take on the Opry and the Waddy original, the more I leaned toward pedal steel because as I work on it there are a couple of quick slides that can be done on lap steel, but sounded smoother to me with a pedal. So I took a shot and message Mf. Franklin on the forum and he said that he indeed played pedal steel on the track!

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 10:34 am    

Here's a video of her doing the song on Opry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3eIEftNIs&ab_channel=TheRanch

Tommy plays the solo off the record so I'm guessing it was Paul Franklin on pedal steel on the recording.