The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day's "Steel and Strings" tunings
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 6:31 pm    

Would someone please post or explain the tunings and copedent that Jimmy Day used for the "Steel and Strings" recordings? I believe these are 8 strings tunings that pre-date his use of knee levers? Also, is "Steel and Strings" a compilation of two albums? If so, was he using the same tunings for both sets of recordings? Also, would someone please identify which neck he used for which song?
(I have searched and can only find info on his 10 string tunings.)

What a great player and great sounding recording!

Thank you,
Cliff

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 9:56 am    

I have been told that Jimmy used E 13 tuning on that album.

MC

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 11:17 am    

Jimmy used C6 and D9 tunings on Steel and Strings. I got this info from the master himself.

You can figure out it's a D9 tuning by trying to play some of his stuff using open strings, impossible on the E9.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Cliff Kane

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 11:48 am    

Thanks, guys. Herb, for D9, do you drop E9 strings down a tone, or do you restring with heavier strings?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 11:58 am    

Cliff
I don't drop the strings, because the only guitars I have a D9 on are my Bigsbys, which have a 25" scale and can't handle E9. So I just use an E9 set on them.

Dropping to D9 on a modern guitar would require resetting the pedal travel and tuning, most probably, how much depending on the brand of guitar. Personally, I'd just keep the thing in E9 and figure out what Jimmy did by transposing up a key.

Bon voyage.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Cliff Kane

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 2:38 pm    

Yes, that makes good sense.
What a wonderful record. He really had a nice, expressive feel and voice. I thought it was a Fender but I have heard it was a Sho-Bud. All of those tunes have a great groove and swing. I think a lot of players focus on the status quo technique and sounds, and Jimmy really swings.
Cheers

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 3:32 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Jimmy used C6 and D9 tunings on Steel and Strings. I got this info from the master himself.

I haven't heard it in a while but I remember thinking that could be done on 8 string D9 with 3 pedals and no knee levers. Is that what he used?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 10:30 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Herb Steiner wrote:

I haven't heard it in a while but I remember thinking that could be done on 8 string D9 with 3 pedals and no knee levers. Is that what he used?

Doug
Exactly.

Harry Johansen

Kvalsund.Norway/Valencia Dumaguete,Phils.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 12:51 am    

I had a 12 string Ext.9th Fulawaka I re-stringed to a thicker gauge.Never had any problems.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 5:52 am    

Cliff Kane wrote:
What a wonderful record. He really had a nice, expressive feel and voice. I thought it was a Fender but I have heard it was a Sho-Bud. All of those tunes have a great groove and swing. I think a lot of players focus on the status quo technique and sounds, and Jimmy really swings.
Cheers

Jimmy's approach to music is what I try to teach in my course material and when I'm soloing on a ballad or straight country song. Not necessarily his licks per se, but his phrasing of the melody as a vocalist would sing it, with pauses and behind the beat phrases that still wind up with the rest of the accompaniment at the end of the song.

Playing the precise melody in this fashion, the audience can almost hear the lyrics to the song, which is what I'm after.

Roger Guyett

San Francisco, Ca.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 7:14 am    

Cliff Kane wrote:
What a wonderful record. He really had a nice, expressive feel and voice. I thought it was a Fender but I have heard it was a Sho-Bud.
Cheers

Agreed - really enjoy listening to his playing.

Does anyone know which it was, fender or Shobud?
I've read on the forum that it was the long scale fender,
hence the D9 tuning....but maybe not...???
What year was that record produced ?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 7:57 am    

Steel and Strings was Jimmy's second album for Phillips and was recorded in 1962. Most definitely a Sho-Bud by then. Tommy Jackson was the only fiddler.

Golden Steel Guitar Hits was recorded in 1961 and was most probably a Sho-Bud as well.[/i]

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 11:15 am    

Herbster:

I love your posts. I try to read them all. You have this habit of posting only when you have something to say. Smile

Thanks......see you in Dallas in March.

Ben....Punta Gorda, FL

Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 10:37 am    

Herb,the other Herb-Remington, noted to me that with Day's playing you could hear every syllable of the words of the lyric. As done on, "Am I that easy to forget" from that record.

Last edited by Jeff Keyton on 6 Nov 2022 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Stewart

Pensacola
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2022 7:08 pm     Jimmy Day Often Used Both Necks For One Song

I think one of the most beautiful quality albums ever recorded is "Golden Steel Guitar Hits" by Jimmy Day in 1961. I have tried diligently over the years to figure out what tunings that Jimmy used to record these songs. I wish there was more information about the tunings. I haven't found much in the forum. I did find Herb Steiner's post which verified that Jimmy himself said he used the C6th and D9th tuning.

However, it is obvious to me that Jimmy Day used a D-8 pedal steel guitar to record this album. Jimmy used a pedal steel D9th on Bud's Bounce and on I Love You Because. Jimmy also used his D9th tuning for "Indian Love Call" on his "Steel & Strings" album. I'm think it was likely the same guitar. You can hear the pedals. He is playing a D-8 pedal steel.

Coconut Grove is definitely all C6th, but from listening to the chord changes in the song, he used a pedal steel on this song too. In the song he often plays a 9th chord on strings 1,2 and 4 using a forward bar slant (a common lap steel chord), and then he slides down 4 frets and the only way he can get the sound that I hear, is by using a pedal to raise string 4 (G) a whole tone to A. He never breaks his slide.

I figured out most of the chords for Coconut Grove. Jimmy also definitely uses a C# note for this song on string 6. I think the tuning is (high to low): E, C, A, G, E, C#, A, G.

Texas Playboy Rag starts out using C6th, but after the other instrument solos, he finishes with a D9th tuning. As best I can tell he is using this tuning (high to low): D, Bb, G, E, D, Bb, G, E. There are some chord changes toward the end of this song that I cannot figure out. It is obvious to me that Jimmy used a D-8 pedal steel, which gave him additional chord changes.

Steelin' The Blues is definitely all C6th.

Boot Heel Drag, Remington Ride and Steel Guitar Rag all sound like non-pedal C6th to me.

Please correct me if anybody knows I'm wrong, because I am as curious as anyone what Jimmy used exactly. Gotta love the steel guitar!

Last edited by Dave Stewart on 5 Nov 2022 10:50 am; edited 4 times in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 3:06 pm    

I'm just a hacker, but I don't hear any C6th on the "Steel & Strings" album. Half-pedals or slants for the seventh, augmented, and diminished chords, and some moving harmonies using pedaled and open strings.

But on "Golden Hits", there is lots of C6th stuff.