The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who can build a pro quality custom double neck?
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 3:47 pm    

I play E9 and I play six string lapsteel. Seems to me a double neck instrument with both would be nice to have. I can't be the first one to think about or want something like this.
Has it been done and is there any down side to it? I don't need pedals on the six string neck but maybe one would be useful.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:00 pm    

The forum classifieds often have similar instruments for sale. Does it have to be six strings? Does it have to be a lap steel or might it be a console. (With legs)What about a double neck 9 string console like this.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:06 pm    

Fred Newell had a double GFI....10 string E9 ft. with a 6 string lap on the rear. It may have been just a SD10 though. I'm not sure. I think maybe Jeff Suratt was involved with that..other possibilities, Show-Pro, maybe Jackson....Jimmie Hudson builds 6 string pedal steels and other custom models, so maybe he would have tooling to build a a 10/6 combo.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:25 pm    

Might be worth contacting Jackson Steel Guitars, Tony. They make quality S-10 and D-10 pedal steels and also SlideKing lapsteels and SlideKings with pedals (Robert Randolph plays one). Seems like they've built the individual components of what you're looking for, it's just a question of "mix and match"
https://jacksonsteelguitar.com/

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:35 pm    

I remember someone posting a picture of a Sho Bud Professional with a 6 string lap steel back neck that they did themselves.

Not sure who did this one.

Cody Angel

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:59 pm    

Wally Moyers builds a great tool called the Resorocker. 6 string neck that will retro fit on the back of an SD10. I has 2 electric pickups and a piezo and 2 outputs. The electric pickups can run out to an amp for lap steel, piezo out to the PA for a dobro type sound. I use it and recommend it highly!
Pedalrockers.com

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 5:21 pm    

Seem to recall that Gene Fields (founder of GFI guitars)had a six string neck on his personal guitar. He played the second neck like a standard fretted guitar but with his fingertips in the style of Thumbs Carlysle (sp?)

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 5:49 pm    

Ian,
Is that Gaylon Matthews Sho-Pro? He has one just like it I believe.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 6:03 pm    

I cannot conceive that, as long as you don't mind "wasted space" on the back neck by having the rear deck the same width, most steel makers wouldn't happily give you a lap steel on the back neck. Custom endplates and cabinets might make one say "naah," but if the geometry stays the same, I bet they'd be cool.
Almost all pedal steels are custom made, just because an option isn't on the price sheet doesn'tdoesn't mean it can't be on your guitar.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 10:22 pm    

Steve Allison wrote:
...Is that Gaylon Matthews Sho-Pro?...
I don't know, that picture is from the 2DS website homepage

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 1:43 am    

Tony, Jeff Surratt at Show Pro makes 6 string back necks on Show Pro double body guitars. The back neck is a Flueger dobro simulator that can be toggled off to use as a 6 string lap steel. Very effective as Jeff has made these for discriminating players who want the option of both a 6 string dobro/lap steel on the back neck. Show-Pros are among the finest steels being made out there. Call Jeff Surratt at Show-Pro and he will discuss it with you.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 4:56 am    

Thank you...some excellent suggestions!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 6:38 am    

Russ, that tricked-out SuperPro was made - customized, I should say - by the late Chris Allen Burke out here in Long Beach CA.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 6:34 pm    

Thanks Skip! Very cool. Hope you're doing well and gigging? Smile

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 8:02 pm    

Jeff Garden wrote:
Might be worth contacting Jackson Steel Guitars, Tony. They make quality S-10 and D-10 pedal steels and also SlideKing lapsteels and SlideKings with pedals (Robert Randolph plays one). Seems like they've built the individual components of what you're looking for, it's just a question of "mix and match"
https://jacksonsteelguitar.com/

The Jackson Steel Guitar Company-David, Harry, and Dawn Jackson build wonderful steels! I play a Blackjack Custom and it's a wonderful steel! The sound is similar to a Sho-Bud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 8:43 am     Thoughts on this 2 yrs. old topic

Some interesting builds. Maybe sometime in my future.

Since I've nearly always played D10 or Unis, I'm thinking an SD12 Universal with the 12 on the rear neck and the lap/slide on the front. Similar to what Fred Newell did with a 10 string GFI, I think.

I like the proximity of the rear neck better than the front. It's more accessible to me and avoids tangling with the strings when playing the front neck. [Old Sho-Buds avoided this problem by using 3/4 in. decks.]

Anyway, I think this would be ideal for my situation as I play a lot of bluesy, rock and other stuff on the 6 string lap at times. The Universal would give me the best of the 9th/6th tunings fix I'm used to.

Only drawback is it would probably have to be custom built and that takes money.

I'm thinking keyless to keep the mass down. Excel, Williams or maybe GFI and something like a CatCan modified with one of Lamar's or Sonny's keyless heads....or perhaps a keyless custom build that would fit the deck space.

Another concept is the standard front neck SD12 uni with a rotating 6 on the rear so it could be flipped up when in use or otherwise down out of the way.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 2:56 pm    

Hey Tony,
How about getting a D10, and just stringing one neck as a 6 string?
I did this for nearly 30 years on tour and it worked great.
Possibly a much cheaper way to go, than a custom built instrument, and something easier to resell (as a D10), if you ever need to do so.
Just my 2 cents.
Lee

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 3:33 am    

There was a Mullen G2 posted for sale a while back that featured a ten string neck in front and non pedal eight string neck in the rear...Tony..Hope that you are doing well, it has been a while.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 4:14 am     Re: Who can build a pro quality custom double neck?

Tony Palmer wrote:
I play E9 and I play six string lapsteel. Seems to me a double neck instrument with both would be nice to have. I can't be the first one to think about or want something like this.
Has it been done and is there any down side to it? I don't need pedals on the six string neck but maybe one would be useful.

Another option would be to engage the A&B pedals, lower your D to C# with a lever and play strings 4-9

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 7:41 pm     Who can build a pro quality double neck?

Sounds like you are looking for a guitar similar to (Hank Williams Sr. lap steel player) Don Helm's 10 string front neck, 8 string lap steel back neck. There is a You Tube picture of him playing a blond maple Sho-Bud. He had it built with the Lap Steel neck on the back neck so he could do Hank SR. original recording licks. or play more modern E9th on 1 guitar. He is listed on some of Patsy Cline's recordings with a more E9th sound. Jackson Steel may have the original drawings of that steel somewhere in a file.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 8:23 pm    

Fellows, this is a 2 yr. old post. I don't know how or if Tony resolved this issue.

I have been having some thoughts of what I might like to do along similar lines, did a search, found this and just tacked on to Tony's old original topic instead of opening a new one.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 11:22 pm    

iv e seen more than one Excel built like that
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Dawn Jackson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 6:39 am    

We can build you a double neck with 10 and 6. Or whatever configuration you want. Just give a shout and we can price it out for you.