The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Lessons Wanted
Caleb Weems

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 7:20 am    

Hey all,

I’m located in Hartselle, AL. and I’m looking for lessons on pedal steel. I’m pretty new but I’ve been playing music for 20 years at a semi pro level (guitar and bass). I’m looking for something maybe one or two times a month. I’m decent with theory and I have a good teacher whenever I can get to Montgomery. If you can teach or know someone in the area (Huntsville, Decatur, Cullman) don’t hesitate to reach out. I know YouTube is a great teacher but I would like to start with live instruction so I don’t develop bad habits.

Thanks!
Caleb

Daniel Murray

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2023 9:03 am    

Hi Caleb, I know you said you are looking for someone in your area but consider contacting John McClung. He is a forum member and has his own website, so if you search for him here or on Google you can find his contact info and more about his teaching. I took some lessons with him over the summer and unfortunately have a time conflict now that is preventing me from continuing lessons with him. I really enjoyed his lessons and learned a lot! He teaches over the internet but has multiply camera angles to give you close ups and different perspectives when teaching different techniques. His lessons are about as close to in person teaching as you can get without actually being in the room with a teacher, in my opinion. I was also looking for in person lessons in my area and was having a hard time finding a teacher but Johns lessons worked really well for me. I also didn't have to pack up my steel and leave my house to take lessons. In my opinion this would be a great option for any new steel player. Good luck!