The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aussie Steelers July Get-Together
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 9:20 pm    

Nick O'Neill organised another in the very popular get-togethers for Australian steel-players living in the Sydney and surrounding areas for Sunday 1st July 2012.

For various reasons it was a smaller group than usual which gathered. Both Michel Rose and Tomi Graso were unable to attend, and regular attendee Damien Odell could only spare a short time before dashing off to another appointment.

However Mike Tyne, Nick O'Neill and Ned McIntosh set up their steels, with Kerry Donlon on 5-string bass-guitar and Gary Brown on his Gilet resophonic and an old Bakelite Supro twin-neck console steel.

(L to R) Nick O'Neill, Mike Tyne and Gary start jamming whilst Ned and Kerry set up.

Mike was playing his vintage Sho-Bud S10 which he used when he was on the road with the great Slim Dusty. In passing I must mention two unique aspects of Mike's gear...first his Ernie Ball tone-bar. There's probably close to half a million miles of red Australian outback dust has gone under that bar over the years Mike was on the road with Slim Dusty. The plating might be "a little thin" in places, but under Mike's guiding hand it sounds awesome.

(Above) Mike Tyne's well-weathered tone-bar has seen a lot of miles in its time.

The second aspect is Mike's innovative use of two delay pedals in series. When he engages "overdrive", it's as if Bobbe Seymour has just started playing. Honestly!

(Above) Mike's dual DD3 system for that "Seymour Sound" when you need it.

With three steel-players in a jam it was always going to be a case of musically arriving at one destination by three separate roads, and so it proved to be as we jammed through a variety of steel and country standards. Ned brought his custom-shop Carter, called "Blondie" for obvious reasons.

(Above) Ned seems more than satisfied with Blondie's tone through the NV112

Nick had his Mullen S10 G2 as per usual, again through an NV112. Actually, it was a special day for Nick because on 5th July he hits the big 60...Nick's wife Anne decided to kick off the celebrations a couple of days early so here is the birthday boy complete with cake, blowing out the candles. (Fire regulations prohibited the use of 60 candles. The cake was certainly big enough to handle them though!!)

Speaking of amplifiers, we had a visitor in the form of Mark from Megtronics and he had a prototype solid-state amplifier he's working on and wanted to evaluate for steel-guitars. Operating in class AB, with two 12" speakers it was surprisingly light and had two channels, one for dry and one for effects via a patchable loop. Below are some photographs. It sounded pretty good but Mark reckons with a few tweaks he can improve it. Since Nick's NV112 has the Fox mods, Mark now has a pretty good idea of what we like to hear in a steel amp.

(Above) Mike tries out the prototype "Orbitek" amp

(Above) The prototype from the rear showing the two 12" speakers and patchable impedance plugs.

(Above) The top view of the prototype showing two input channels and temporary labelling.

Finally a group-shot of all the participants. The cake didn't stay looking like that for long because we demolished a good portion of it, leaving enough for Nick to take home to share with neighbours and friends.

(L to R) Mark from Megtronics, Mike Tyne (background), Nick "Birthday Boy" O'Neill, Kerry Donlon, Gary Brown, Ned McIntosh.

A great day, even with a relatively small group. Gary's Supro console steel sounded fantastic so apologies for not getting any photos. Maybe next time? As always, thanks to Nick for getting us all together, and to Ann for feeding us and the impromptu birthday party.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Last edited by Ned McIntosh on 5 Jul 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 4:40 am    

Thanks again Ned for the fantastic photos and the report. As always I had a great day and am looking forward hopefully to many more of them. You guys are fantastic the way you turn up, many traveling long distances to boot.

I'm still working on the last of that cake. I really should head off to the gym for a good workout ( maybe not, I might just sit and do a little more practice instead )!!!!!!!! Take care.
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 6:32 pm    

Nick looks like a lot of fun mate - and happy birthday you old bugger Very Happy Gary looks remarkably chipper for a dead bloke too !!!!! Laughing
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 2:00 am    

Thanks for the pics and update Ned. Looks like a great day. Happy birthday Nick and best to all down south!

Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 1:14 pm    

Happy Birthday Nick... hope the next bit is suitably awesome mate!... Hit the big six-oh myself a few weeks back.... definitely a milestone.
Sorry I couldn't get there this time. looks like you guys had a great meet.

Barry Phillips

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2012 1:03 pm     Barry Phillips Steel Guitar on You Tube.

Hi Nick-Happy Birthday-Keep picking and there will be lots of years ahead-looks like a good meeting-Take care Barry.

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 8:27 pm    

G'day Nick & a big happy birthday mate.
Hope you both had a great holiday outback, we missed you at the Brizvegas festival.
Hi to all you other cockroaches down there!
Looks like you had a top time - any cake left??? Very Happy
Cheers to all.

Mike Kirkley

Helendale, California
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 3:21 am    

Belated Happy Birthday, Nick!!! Mate, I really wanted to be at your latest one of these things, and the only reason I wasn't is that I'm back in Tassie. Looks like I'll be moving back to the mainland here real soon, and it'll be Alice Springs that I'm moving to. Looking forward to it, although based on simple measurements, Alice is further from Sydney than Wynyard is!!! Anyway, glad you are doing this, it's a real good thing. Thanks mucho!!!

Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2012 5:45 am    

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. Being 60 is not so bad after all!

Barry, I've been enjoying your posts on utube. You are sounding great.

Allen, delighted to hear you won the lucky door prize ( lap steel ) at the Brisbane Steel Guitar Festival. Can't wait to hear you play it next year. No cake left. Sorry ( there never is when I'm around ).

Mike I did not get to Alice Springs last month as it is over 300 kilometers from Ayers Rock. We did not have enough time. We may pay you a visit one day when you have your new job set up?

Paddy, Gary is on top of the world for a bloke in his condition and playing better than ever too !!!!! ( you got to have a laugh or this old world could drag you down ).

Geoff, see you at the "Shed" next time.

Stay safe everyone and never stop picking those beautiful strings
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.