Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ancient Bb6 Copedents
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2013 1:00 pm    

[size=9]John Alexander wrote:[/size]
Quote:
Don't know if that's the same tuning he used at TSGA, but if he was using his own guitar he probably would've had some of his preferred changes on it.

I didn't sit down at his guitar that day and check every change, Laughing but I did strum the neck and confirmed the open tuning including the "standard" chromatic notes on top.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2013 6:29 pm    

The Bb6/Eb9 and E9U tunings usually have the same notes on the first 4 strings (aside from the half step difference between Eb9 and E9) but on the Bb6 the usual string 1 of the E9 is moved to the third position, and the 4th string requires the engagement of a knee lever to get into the Eb9 mode.

Here are Maurice Anderson's Bb6 and E9 tunings as shown on b0b's web site, which I've been meaning to add to this thread. I don't know how many years these go back, but more recently he was using another Bb6 setup noted above in this thread, which Chris Woitach has also adopted.

Chris Gabriel

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2013 8:41 am    

Add me to the list of fellas who play Bb6. Yup.
chrisgabrielpdx

John Alexander

Post  Posted 3 May 2013 9:47 pm    

Chris - V. good - are you using Maurice Anderson's setup or something else? I liked what I heard on your web site.

Chris Gabriel

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2013 8:04 am    

What you see on my website (thanks for visiting) is a diatonic tuning, which I am not using at the moment. I'm using the most current Bb6, the one Chris Woitach uses. But, I've modified it for 10 strings. So, it's a little different. Basically, It's the exact copedent, ,minus strings 2 and 3 (G and F). I've had the guitar back from Lynn Stafford (who set it up for me) now about 3 weeks, and it's wonderful. It works really well. I love string 10. I see Curly Chalker also had a "9th" in the lower register. String 10 and pedal 3 are great, and I'm slowly discovering so much more...

I'm soon to receive a D-10 which I will keep the front neck in C6. So, that will be cool.
chrisgabrielpdx

John Alexander

Post  Posted 4 May 2013 11:50 pm    

That's an interesting adaptation of Bb6 to 10 strings. More of an expanded 6th tuning than a universal, since so much of the familiar E9 paradigm is missing - the D string, the configuration of the high strings, the C pedal, the F lever etc. - I like it.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 11:53 pm    

<center> Idea </center>