The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beware of this seller - ALL NEWBEES
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:27 am    

Had some contact with him a few months ago after posting a WTB ad for some educational material. Almost fell for it till deciding that the old saying "if it seems to good to be true" was applicable.

I actually was referred to him by another third party who is still a member on the forum. After contacting him and doing some research here, I figured out what the deal was. I now included the disclaimer "must be original material, not copies" in any of my dealings regarding courses, books, etc.

The deal he offered me was quite a bargain, but I understand the feelings of the forum and Bob regarding copyright infringement and piracy. Steel guitar material is a very niche market and if we further reduce it by buying bootleg materials, at some point folks will just stop taking the time and effort to produce it. I think most people producing this material do it as a labor of love for the instrument and a desire to further it and help newcomers, not to get rich, which I'm sure they're not.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 9:53 am    

John Roche wrote:
He [Ron/Johann Steenwijk] is also on Facebook, and the strange thing is that on his friends list there are steel players from here and the British steel forum , they all seems to be in contact with him, maybe he is softening them up before he strikes again.

Ron likes to discuss political and religious issues on Facebook. I'm listed as one of his Facebook friends, and we discuss things quite regularly, although I rarely agree with him since my political views are diametrically opposed to his, and he's an enthusiastic collector of weaponry while I'm fervently in favor of more gun control. He's also a "born again" Christian, whereas I'm Agnostic. The reason he has so many members of the Forum listed as friends is that he's an active steel guitarist and he builds pedal steel guitars, and his wife, Karen Kaylee, is a professional Country singer. He's not softening them up for a "strike". He doesn't need to ask for the email addresses of contacts because he reads the Forum every day, although he's no longer a member, and ANYONE can contact any member of the Forum. Most people don't realise that anything you write on the Forum becomes indexed on the internet. Try using Ixquick or Google to search for an issue you've brought up on the Forum and you'll almost certainly find your post without having to log on.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 11:12 am    

Alan, just because anyone can see the posts, doesn't mean anyone can contact a member. Unless you put contact info in your sig, someone would have to be a member to use either the PM or email buttons on the forum.
I didn't realize Karen was Ron's wife.

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 6:03 am     Me Too

He ripped me off some time back when he was still a member, I sent him loads of teaching CD `s and DVD`s in an exchange for some steel parts, never heard from him again, then he was booted of the Forum for fraud and so that was no parts, good bye CD`s DVD`s and I bet they are the ones he is selling copies of.

JG

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 12:34 pm    

Steve English wrote:
Any good con man will keep a few patsys in his pocket for his "good" references. This one's certainly got a few on the Steel Guitar Forum. Rolling Eyes Shame on those of you who are smart enough to know that you're most likely purchasing someone else's intellectual or copy-written property. And for those of you who are ignorant, it might be in your best interest to wise up, or, at the very least, run the risk of being the fool that's separated from his money.

The fact that he has repeatedly used fraudulent practices in order to sell product via the internet is well documented by myself, and many others on this and several other forums. These are not allegations, they are documented facts.

The scumbag has been threatening to sue people for exposing his fraudulent activities for years. The man's an idiot and obviously doesn't understand what constitutes slander and/or libel. He thrives on attempts of intimidation and scare tactics when confronted with his cons and frauds. There's a sucker born every minute, and there will always be scumbags like him to take advantage of them.

Education and information are our best deterrents to these types of unscrupulous shysters. This Forum, and our communications provides us with the necessary resources to recognize these types of crooks and their supporters.

Don't let the liars and cons stop any of you from reporting the truth. If anyone wants to forward the threatening emails that they have received from this crook,I'd be privileged to add them to my files. This douche is not going away. He'll just keep preying on the newer members and the unsuspecting.

b0b, please add this idiot's name to the sticky of who not to do business with! He's worst than all the others listed combined.

To our most notable con and fraud: Sue me you WPOS. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Billy Sims

Grandview, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2014 9:13 am     Got me today on Facebook

I was browsing on Facebook this morning when I received and instant message from Mr. Steenwijk. Said his wife was recovering from a stroke and was in need of money. I did give him my email address and he sent me a list of training courses, tab, backing tracks etc. All for only $100.00. Since I joined the Pedal Steel Group on Facebook this makes the 2nd person to try this with me. I found out about the first one on Steel Guitar Forum as well. Thanks to the Steel Guitar Forum for keeping us steel pickers informed on all things Steel Guitar!

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2014 2:28 pm    

Ron (Johann) Steenwijk's wife, Karen Kaylee, IS recovering from a stroke. She had one last week while she was in the process of posting on Facebook. You'll be happy to know that she's recovering. Very Happy

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2014 3:04 pm    

Odd, Billy Sims. A couple of years ago, this S.O.B.'s wife was a deaf country singer. He said a lot of horrible stuff here, and in PM's, to and about, me and Mike Perlowin. I reacted impolitely, and got kicked off the Forum. This ass-clown sent me emails, threatening to sue, he's sent me PM's on FaceBook--he is a dirty, crooked, low-down, dirtball. I think he got his start selling karaoke tracks, or something. He has several aliases, and I agree with b0b---"The fact that someone lies about his name tells me that he knows it's wrong, too."

Steenwik, or whatever his name is, is probably reading this right now, while he's planning his next swindle. With apologies to Mr. English, "Steenwijk, or whoever you are---BRING IT." But the "lawsuit" will be here, in MY county, in MY state. Bring your deaf wife. Bring some of the "handicapped, under-privileged kids," too. And bring a LOT of cash. Trust me, you'll need it.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2014 4:38 pm    

When I first joined up on the forum a few years ago I did not know the do's and don'ts. I posted my e-mail not thinking anything about it. Guess what happened. I was looking for an old LP or Cd and he just happen to have one. Sent him $20.00 and still waiting to receive. bOb asked for copies of my e-mails and I think that was when he kicked Ron off the forum. Just thankful it was not a lot of money.
Thanks to bOb and this forum I am a lot smarter guy than I used to be. J.R.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2014 10:07 am    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
...A couple of years ago, this S.O.B.'s wife was a deaf country singer...

She still is, and her hearing is getting no better. As if losing one's hearing were not bad enough for a professional singer, she's also lost both her parents recently. Whatever your problems may be with Ron, let's leave Karen out of this. Crying or Very sad

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2014 11:42 am    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
...He has several aliases, and I agree with b0b---"The fact that someone lies about his name tells me that he knows it's wrong, too."

Does that also go for people who are afraid to say where they're from?

Where exactly is "Over There"?

I've seen one of the emails that you sent to Ron Steenwijk, (yes, I know you intentionally like to misspell his name),and I've never seen such filthy, foul-mouthed, downright disgusting and threatening wording before. You are not someone I would ever credit with anything other than malisciousness. You seem to take pleasure in maligning people's characters, and are a disgrace to the Forum. I have no position to play in all this, but, in fairness to Ron, and all Forum members, I find all this trial by internet extremely disturbing. Crying or Very sad

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2014 10:09 pm    

"Does that also go for people who are afraid to say where they're from?"

Nope. I'm from Ware Shoals, South Carolina. I got an email from "Ron," where he mentioned coming to my home--Rather threatening, I thought.
Where exactly is "Over There"?
See above.

"I've seen one of the emails that you sent to Ron Steenwijk, (yes, I know you intentionally like to misspell his name),and I've never seen such filthy, foul-mouthed, downright disgusting and threatening wording before. You are not someone I would ever credit with anything other than malisciousness. You seem to take pleasure in maligning people's characters, and are a disgrace to the Forum. I have no position to play in all this, but, in fairness to Ron, and all Forum members, I find all this trial by internet extremely disturbing."

No, I don't know how "Ron" spells his current alias.
As has been mentioned in this thread, "Ron Steenwijk" is not the guy's real name.

And since you take issue, with my spelling, may I ask what "malisciousness" spells? Maybe,maliciousness?

Karen is Ron's partner, in several of their scams. May as well include her--She's a conspirator.

Now, the "I've never seen such filthy, foul-mouthed, downright disgusting and threatening..." email--Who showed it to you? Are you telling me that you have access to my email? I don't take pleasure in "maligning" people's characters--And I don't like some guy who doesn't know me at all, referring to me as "a disgrace to the Forum."

And this is not a "trial by internet." Your friend was tried, and convicted, a couple of years ago. THAT'S WHY THE S.O.B. DOESN'T POST HERE. He has a lifetime banishment from the Forum.

Anything else you need me to explain?

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 9:21 am    

Yes. First of all he only has one name, and that is Johann Steenwijk. If you don't believe that, how do you explain that his father and daughter are also Steenwijk? He calls himself Ron, which is his middle name, because, being Dutch in the USA, Ron is a better name to use in C&W circles that Johann. He doesn't have multiple identities. You refer to his wife, Karen, as his "partner", purely to insult them both and suggest that they are partners in crime.
You say my "friend" was "tried and convicted" a couple of years ago. That is libellous, and no wonder he's thinking of suing you. He has never been tried and convicted of anything. Where was this "trial" held, and since when has a decision to exclude him from the Forum by its owner, (which he has every right to do, even if only for suspicion), been a "conviction". "Conviction" is what courts do when they determine that someone is a "convict". Is Ron a convict? You should also know that for a foreigner to become a "Resident Alien" in the USA he has to go through a rigorous background check, and a criminal record would prevent him moving to the USA. Since then he has also become a US citizen.
You refer to Ron as my "friend". In actual fact, I've never met him. I spoke to him once over the 'phone about seven years ago, and I argue with him on Facebook, because our views are diametrically opposite on most matters. I empathise with his case because what I see are a few disputes which may or may not have merit, but to which a bunch of louts have jumped onto the bandwagon to make him out to be a criminal, in which you seem to have succeeded so far. Destruction of people's character via the internet has become an amusement for some. Having seen the absolutely disgusting emails that you have penned, you have no credibility with me whatsoever. I couldn't even copy and paste them into the Forum as almost every single word would be taken out by the software.
You, sir, are a cad of the first order, and a disgrace to the Forum.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 10:03 am    

Alan, I'm done with you. There are currently 4 pages in this thread, and you take issue with only me? Are you a moron?

You say my "friend" was "tried and convicted" a couple of years ago. That is libellous, and no wonder he's thinking of suing you. Is he thinking of suing me? I didn't know that---but I could give a fat rat's butt if he does. Why don't you tell him that, the next time the two of you talk.

"Having seen the absolutely disgusting emails that you have penned, you have no credibility with me whatsoever. I couldn't even copy and paste them into the Forum as almost every single word would be taken out by the software."

There you go, bragging about "my" emails. Yet you don't mention who showed them to you, where you saw them, or even what the hell you're doing looking at another person's email. I'd consider that slander, especially when you want to attribute this garbage to me. I've deleted the emails that your pal sent me. Pretty nasty stuff, they were.

"You, sir, are a cad of the first order, and a disgrace to the Forum." Is that all you got? A "cad of the first order?" Man, you are one tough son-of-a-gun.

Maybe you need to do something about your selfie, there, Alan, ol' buddy. Your hair kinda looks like a halo, and NO self-respecting agnostic would be caught dead with a halo photo, now, would he?

Man, I hope your old lady is sterile.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 10:19 am    

Forum members--I am a big man, as those of you who know me, can attest. But I am not too big to apologize. I had NO IDEA that Mr. Steenwijk was famous on the OTHER side of the pond, as well.

http://www.thebritishsteeliessociety.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5039

I feel so goofy, now...

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 10:59 am    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
Alan, I'm done with you. There are currently 4 pages in this thread, and you take issue with only me?...

That's because the others are just bringing up grievances, whereas you go several steps further, using abusive language, making threats, and slanging personal insults which no gentleman would ever descend to.
When you do that you lose all credibility. It's something you should take note of.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 11:17 am    

Okay, Alan, I think he got your point, and he apologized. Can we end this now? Oh Well

Reply not necessary. Just stop.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 2:47 pm    

He may have apologized to you, but he just sent me a personal message full of venom and disgusting language.
He is no gentleman.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 3:36 pm    

Alan, you are telling a lie. I called you a liar, yes.
Venom, I can spew here. You are making yourself look like a whiney little brat, and I will not be a part of that. Insult me some more. You embarrass no one but yourself. b0b, Could you go ahead and close this thread? I'll be more than happy to send you the venomous email that Alan sent me, and my advice to him.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 4:52 am    

Alan and Steve, This forum is too precious to allow it to deteriorate into the kind of fighting and flaming that has marred so many other internet forums.

Please, both of you, walk away from this conflict, delete your recent posts and lets all get back to the talking about our steel guitars.

Please.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 6:10 am    

Hi, Mike. I'm glad you've entered the arena. Sorry this garbage is so out of hand. I can hardly wait for Brooks' response. If he removes his posts, especially the ones aimed at me, I won't have a reason to be upset, will I? And if I'm not upset, my posts wil become meaningless, and I'll gladly delete them, as well as the emails and PM's I have received from Brooks and Steenwick.
And I have asked b0b to close this thread anyway. Maybe he'll delete the whole thread.
b0b??

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 6:15 am    

With all due respect....I agree with Mike..BF

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 6:20 am    

Stephen, I don't think B0b needs to lock the thread to make people return to civility.
I WOULD point out that you've said nice things about the demeanor of a bass player we both know (and of a late Dobro picker), and have commented on their civility. Perhaps just ask yerself, before typing, "would Mike (or Tom) have said that, or said it that way?"

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 6:23 am    

Bill! Where in the world have you been? We gotta be careful--we got me you, and Mike--One more steel player, and a convention could break out.

"Wild Side of Life, boys---In C.

Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 7:50 am    

Alan Alan Alan:

Ron only has one name? Who is Randy Jackson? Who is John Sliwa? Who is Jerry Kramer? If you don't know ask right here.

Alan why does Ron sell copies of lessons and music? How many times has he sold his one and only copy? (probably every time he makes a fresh one and only copy.)

Have you noticed that Ron sells something every time claims to have a bad situation?

How do you know Karen really had a stroke? How do you know it really is Karen? Most IMPORTANTLY: how is it even remotely germane to Ron selling bogus copies of music and lessons? Is an alleged hard life excuse for pirating?

If you want to defend Ron in any manner you should do your homework. The list of incidents that you ignore is long and growing.

Remember Ron's steels for tots fiasco? After claiming openly on the forum that a student had a volume pedal that was sent to him he admitted to me in pm that he had moved it. He couldn't deny it - I had the evidence. He couldn't say he got rid of it after making the claim - the pedal was already in someone elses hands when he told the lie. If you need to see the pm's let me know.

I don't see the gain in closing this thread that brings to mind what Ron does.