The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Origin Effects SlideRig Pedal for Little Feat Tone
Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2012 12:15 pm    

I've just started selling a compressor pedal, aimed at slide guitarists. My aim in designing the unit, was to try to recreate the 70's Little Feat studio slide-tone.

The circuit is based around two high quality 1176-style (studio comp) compressors used in a chain arrangement. This makes the guitar very sensitive and also really helps iron out peaks. More to the point, the dual compressor circuits create super-sustaining solo lines with a characteristic attack and shimmer.

The pedal features two sets of controls, to allow the player to dial in two differing settings and quickly jump between them in a live scenario.

• 100% Class-A discrete signal path
• Ultra-fast "FET" response
• Attack & Release presets
• Studio-grade "discrete" preamplifier
• Rugged VU-style meter
• Low-noise electronics
• Optimised for guitar/bass but also great for
processing recorded instruments
• Selectable True or Buffered Bypass
• 50 hours life from single 9V / PP3 cell
• Optional external power (9-18V DC)
• Traditional Through-Hole PCB

I've made some demo clips and would love to know what people think...

This should work for Pedal/Lap-Steel too - sadly, I no longer have either, so haven't tried it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2oA46hHfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZi6NOUn6o8

More info can be found at:

www.origineffects.com
http://www.facebook.com/OriginEffects

Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2012 3:43 pm    

Very nice!

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2012 9:30 am    

Very interesting. Price in the U.S.?

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2012 11:09 am     Origin Effects SlideRig US Pricing

I'm based in the UK. The cost of an exported SlideRig would be $299 + $39.99 shipping (UK to USA express 2/3 days).

I currently have some units for sale on Ebay, or will be more than happy to deal direct.

Also, I'm happy to accept returns, subject to condition - all the usual stuff!!!

Thanks for your interest!

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2012 10:02 pm    

A rare thing indeed, a boutique FX pedal that doesn't look like it was fingerpainted by a drunk blind guy. Smile Interesting stuff.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 3:25 am    

Per Berner wrote:
A rare thing indeed, a boutique FX pedal that doesn't look like it was fingerpainted by a drunk blind guy. Smile Interesting stuff.

Yes, classy. And a name you don't have to cover up for playing in church.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 5:41 am    

Impressive.

I have a question. Why, when you use an external power supply, does it require one with a positive ground? What is the advantage of a positive ground over a negative one?

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 10:28 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Impressive.

I have a question. Why, when you use an external power supply, does it require one with a positive ground? What is the advantage of a positive ground over a negative one?

Hi Mike.

When in use, the negative side of the supply is connected to electrical ground - this gives you a positive supply voltage inside the pedal.

I think you are possibly referring to the fact that in most cases the centre pin of the 2.1mm power-connector is wired-negative (so the outer part of the connector is positive. If so, there is no advantage - it's just convention (this is what most manufacturers specify). It just makes it easier to buy a supply that works on lots of pedals!

Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 4:02 am    

Wow Simon! That's the closet I've heard anyone come to the Lowell George/Little Feat (slide guitar) sound since Bonnie Raitt. I'll be ordering one soon. Thanks!

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 7:03 am    

That's praise indeed - thanks very much!

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 7:42 am    

Can someone post a link to the one of the the tunes by Little Feat that inspired this pedal?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 10:14 am    

Simon Keats wrote:

I think you are possibly referring to the fact that in most cases the centre pin of the 2.1mm power-connector is wired-negative (so the outer part of the connector is positive. If so, there is no advantage - it's just convention (this is what most manufacturers specify). It just makes it easier to buy a supply that works on lots of pedals!

Simon, I must admit I'm confused. In past years, the center pin was positive and the ground was negative, and then many of the manufacturers reversed this.

Today I have some pedals that are wired one way, and some that are wired the other. If it doesn't make any difference, why did the manufacturers change the system?

I've been told that if you hook up the wrong power supply you can damaged the unit.

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2012 12:07 pm    

Here's a great track...

Roll 'Em Easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7TLnRThxL0

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2012 12:12 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Simon Keats wrote:

Simon, I must admit I'm confused. In past years, the center pin was positive and the ground was negative, and then many of the manufacturers reversed this.

Today I have some pedals that are wired one way, and some that are wired the other. If it doesn't make any difference, why did the manufacturers change the system?

I've been told that if you hook up the wrong power supply you can damaged the unit.

Certainly using the wrong supply can damage a pedal (or anything electrical). Mine are protected against reverse-connected supplies (as I would think most are these days).

I guess a supply is one more thing a company can sell you and so perhaps that's why some companies deviate from the normal polarity! Older pedals using germanium transistors do need a negative supply, and so there's another "slightly less pessimistic" reason!

Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2012 7:30 am    

Btw, yesterday was Lowell's birthday (April 13, 1945). He would have been 67! Hard to believe he passed 33 yrs ago. God bless Lowell and the Feats!