The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1961 Guild Starfire, 1919 Gibson A-3 mandolin - ALL SOLD!
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2012 2:26 am    

Up for sale is a 1961 Guild Starfire. I believe this left the Hoboken factory as a Starfire I (identical to a II but with a single pickup), but the label is gone so I can't be 100% sure.

The guitar suffered a headstock break which has been expertly repaired; the repair appears to have included the insertion of pegs through the break, as there are two small circles in the headstock veneer that look like plugs. The finish along the crack was touched up very well, and it was done long enough ago that the newer finish has checked just like the rest of the body.

I believe that the repair was done at the Guild factory, partly because of the superb way in which it was done and partly because it would explain how the guitar acquired Guild parts from later in the '60s. The bridge mini-humbucker and Guildsby tailpiece (and accompanying aluminum bridge) were definitely added in the mid to late '60s. Everything I haven't already mentioned (tuners, pickguard, etc) appears to be original, though the pickguard must have been re-cut to fit the bridge pickup.

Aside from this work, the guitar is in excellent condition. There is some wear, mostly along the back edge (the earliest Starfires, including this guitar, had no back binding) and a few dings on the back of the neck. It plays very well and the Bigsby is nice and smooth. The first few frets have some light wear but there's plenty of life left. The electronics all work fine and the guitar sounds great.

The price is $SOLD! Paypalled/shipped in the continental US. I can do a little better for cash on pickup. The sale includes a recent TKL hard case that fits it very well.

Click here for more pics.

Also up for sale is a 1919 Gibson A-3. The mandolin is all original, plays perfectly all the way up the neck and sounds beautiful, but it has cosmetic wear

The finish is original and mostly in good shape, but there have been a few amateurish touch-ups to the top and back (not by me!). There is a ~2" section of the side near the tail that has separated from the back slightly (see photos); as I understand it, this is a fairly common problem with Gibson A's from this era. Structurally it's fine; there's no movement along the joint and it's perfectly stable. Aside from this, there are no cracks, sinkage, splits, breaks or other structural damage.

The tone of this mandolin is deep and rich, with a lot of bass, sustain and good balance across the strings. The neck is perfectly straight and the action is low all the way up, so playing it is a breeze. It has a big, V-shaped neck. It comes with the original case in poor condition; I will also include a recent TKL hard case that fits it perfectly.

I am asking $SOLD. This includes Paypal fees (money order is fine, too) and shipping within the continental US. I can offer it on 48 hours' approval - if you decide to return it, you're only out shipping both ways. Trades for other vintage stuff may be considered, but cash is king.

Click here for more pics.

Last edited by Noah Miller on 7 May 2012 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2012 11:52 am    

The Guild is sold outside the forum. The mandolin is still available.