The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  T-8 Stringmaster
Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 3:45 am    

I talked Mr West. He's 85, honest as the day is long, unassuming, and they simply don't come any better.

The guitar is in outstanding condition.

It has two issues. One is that it comes without an original case. That isn't a deal-breaker in the world of vintage instruments. The second issue is that the steel used to have an additional, 4th and unoriginal, neck on it. When he got it, Mr West removed that and there are no marks or telltale indications that the additional neck was ever attached. So the guitar is back to it's original state. Except......

When the 4th neck was added decades ago the neck switching system was altered to accommodate or access that additional neck. That entailed drilling the metal plate behind the bridge. When mr. West removed that neck he crafted a small chrome plate for the neck switch which now covers the drilled portion of the plate. A close look at the steel's pic will show that.

Jon A. Ross

not actually FROM Maine...
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 6:37 am    

Eric Philippsen wrote:
I talked Mr West. He's 85, honest as the day is long, unassuming, and they simply don't come any better.

The guitar is in outstanding condition.

It has two issues. One is that it comes without an original case. That isn't a deal-breaker in the world of vintage instruments. The second issue is that the steel used to have an additional, 4th and unoriginal, neck on it. When he got it, Mr West removed that and there are no marks or telltale indications that the additional neck was ever attached. So the guitar is back to it's original state. Except......

When the 4th neck was added decades ago the neck switching system was altered to accommodate or access that additional neck. That entailed drilling the metal plate behind the bridge. When mr. West removed that neck he crafted a small chrome plate for the neck switch which now covers the drilled portion of the plate. A close look at the steel's pic will show that.

Again I hope no one believes I, in any way, sought to impune the integrity of Mr. West. All of the character defense statements posted here give the impression that someone believes he has been slandered in some way, which, if so, is utterly preposterous.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 7:11 am    

Vintage parts show up - you just have to do the math and figure what the additional costs are - for example there's a vintage D-8 case on eBay right now for $339 Buy it now. Considering that there are t-8 for $700 more than this on Gbase and allegedly original, get a new chromed plate and find an original case in due time. $700 is a big budget for a couple parts to restore it; meanwhile buy this beauty and PLAY IT!! Elva sounds like an upfront guy - I don't have space for any more stuff right now or I'd consider it more. Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 10:15 am     not original

I agree it should be a great player but not a complete original guitar. next time stating these issues up front in the original Ad would be helpful and allow potential buyers to decide if the price is ok.
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 10:19 am     Re: not original

Jim Waldrop wrote:
I agree it should be a great player but not a complete original guitar. next time stating these issues up front in the original Ad would be helpful and allow potential buyers to decide if the price is ok.

Yes.. and the thread would be shorter. On the other hand I look forward to selling guitars when I'm 85 Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 2:31 pm    

Side topic:

I visited with Elva last year and played a lot of his non-pedal steels. One that he makes stood out, I don't know if he has a model name for it, it was an 8 string, but the big fat, wonderful tone of it knocked my socks off. After saving for a current project, I'm saving for one of those.

Elva reminds me of a white-haired church deacon, old school honesty and manners.

I hope this Fender finds a good home soon, it keeps calling out to me, just not the best timing, dagnabbit.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 6:35 pm    

Elva, email sent regarding this T-8. Please contact me at:

lamaral82@aol.com

Regards,

Lenny

Jon A. Ross

not actually FROM Maine...
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2012 10:03 am    

What is the status of this guitar, anyone know? Did anyone here buy it? I submitted an offer and heard nothing. Did anyone ever receive additional photos from Mr West? I reckon I should give him a call again...

JOZEF SMITH

WESTMINSTER - CA - USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 11:25 pm     T-8 Stringmaster

I think the guitar has been sold. The guitar is in great condition and it sounds like a stringmaster.
I checked and played all 3 necks before Elva put it for sale. Elva made the case for it and did one also for my T-8 stringmaster. Very good buy for that ptice and condition.

JOZEF SMITH

WESTMINSTER - CA - USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 11:31 pm     stringmaster case

For my own info, does anybody has a picture of the original case for a T8 stringmaster.
Mahalo.

Elva West

Anaheim, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2012 11:48 am    

t-8 stringmaster sold