The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Rains D-10 Custom 8 X 8 ***Coming down**
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2012 9:54 pm    

I am selling a one of a kind 2008 Custom Rains D-10 - 8 X 8. I say custom, because this guitar is totally unique from the ground up. I ordered the guitar with a two-tone split front. From what I understand, it was the first two-tone Rains where the mother of pearl strip was not split, but rather a continuous strip along the middle of the front apron. Note the necks are not the “brushed” look. They are fully polished out. In the past, I have owned several Franklins which had polished necks, and I personally feel this gives a sleeker look to a guitar top.

I need to mention the Rains logo on my guitar. When I ordered my guitar, I wanted something different than the available logo. I told Gary I hoped he wouldn't mind if I took the liberty of experimenting with different fonts. If a different one was substituted, I would pay the price for the creation of the logo for my guitar. When I created the new one, I emailed it to him. Come to find out, he had already had a very few made of that same font, but never put them on any guitars. So if you notice, the top logo is the one I picked, the bottom logo is the current logo. He only had the new one in white, which would not have showed up on the pedal bar.

I feel one of the biggest selling points is the guitar’s copedents. I had learned a little bit of C6th while living in Nashville and sold my double neck with the thought of replacing it soon. That “soon” turned out to be 13 years. I knew my first D-10 in 13 years had to possess a copedent that would allow me to learn as much C6th as I could possibly learn in as short of a time frame as possible. To do so, I studied the C6th copedents of 5 players whose C6th playing I deeply admired. I printed these copedents side by side to see which changes these players had to have on their guitars….looking for common ground. I then borrowed a friend's guitar which only had one or two knee levers on C6th. I literally detuned the C6th neck to simulate all of these individual knee lever changes (AND floor/knee combinations) so that I could hear what this copedent would give me BEFORE I spent the actual money to have the changes put on my guitar. I would urge anyone to do the same thing so you will hear the changes for yourself. In designing my C6th copedent, it was not only important for me to nail down WHAT changes I wanted on the neck, but WHERE I wanted these changes to be placed. In fact, I personally feel the latter is every bit as important as the former. I will not go into detail here, but can email a pdf file explaining all of this to any interested parties. I will say this copedent sped up my C6th learning exponentially because of the way this setup matches the E9th tuning. Murnel Babineaux put this C6th copedent on his new guitar and it “unlocked” the tuning” for him as well.

Murnel and I spent 3 nights changing out multiple pickups and digitally recording the results to arrive at my final decision to put George L TW pickups on the guitar. To hear what this guitar sounds like recorded, go to the website below, click on Media, and click the play button on the “MP3 player”. (I must mention the first 2 tracks were EQ’d a bit on the “different” side, but the song, “In His Hands” is a more accurate representation of what the guitar sounds like).

http://jeffdugan.org/

The guitar comes with Gary’s newest undercarriage mods, plus his new matte finish fretboard. Last, but not least, I must mention the guitar comes with a SPLIT flight case made by Texas Case Co. now Red Dirt Cases. Putting the pedal bar, rods, and legs in a separate case distributes the weight very nicely! The cases alone cost over $400. A new Rains customized like mine will go over $5000. Get a like new model for $3425 plus shipping. Extra knee levers, neck polishing, and custom cases are not cheap. I bought this guitar for a job that required me to leave it packed up in Nashville 80% of the time. It has extremely low mileage on it. The ONLY two items I will consider in a partial trade are an 8-string Beard Mike Auldridge model resonator guitar, or a Dingwall 5 string bass. Pictures below:

Joe Rogers

Last edited by Joe Rogers on 12 Aug 2012 7:44 pm; edited 14 times in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 4:28 am    

Joe

WOW!!! Smile Nice horn, man.

Herb

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 10:42 am     Goodness!

No kiddin'!! Whoa!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 11:26 am    

That price is what a lot of SD10s go for now!

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 1:29 pm    

Joe,

I would like to see the pdf file on your C-6th copedent. Please e-mail me if you would. Beautiful
guitar!

Thanks,

Roy Peterman

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2012 5:05 pm    

Herb, thanks for the compliment on the guitar. It IS a nice horn..! Smile Carp did a great job on it..!!

Roy, I just now sent copedent info via email.

Interested buyers, read the first section again. Price lowered as well as info on the only two items I will consider in partial trade.

Joe Rogers

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2012 8:07 am    

Joe nice playing, wow what a singer. The reason for the different EQ on the songs had to do with the amount of music on the other tracks I think. I liked track one, the steel was able to cut through the rest of the music, have it's own space. Track 3 was lush, bottom line is YOU CAN DO IT ALL with this guitar. Great looking axe.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2012 9:23 am    

bump for a nice guy and "killer" player

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 1:22 am     Cth copedant

Joe, I too would like to get a PDF or any copy of your C6th copedant or see it posted if you don't mind. Good luck with the sale. Really cool looking steel! steve t

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 10:39 pm    

Larry, your reasoning is partly correct. Also, two of the people involved (not myself) had differences of opinion when it came to steel tone, so there was a minor tug of war there.

Yes, the guitar IS a chameleon and can pretty much sound like what you need it to sound like...

Joe Rogers

Justin Cormier

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 8:01 am    

Nice guitar Joe!

Carter D-10

Fender Vibrosonic Reverb with JBL D130F

CNC Machinist
Cajun Musician

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 4:10 am    

Looked through my old receipts and found out this was NOT a 2007 model, but built in 2008.

New Lowered Price!!

Joe Rogers

Clark Connell

Des Moines,Iowa USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 8:05 am     Rains D-10 8x8

Exclamation Exclamation What a beauty......Gary Carpenter builds one of the finest, if not THE finest steels out there today folks, I know, because I own one too. This will make someone a fine guitar, (and a Gary Carpenter fan). Also, your playing is great Exclamation Exclamation

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 6:05 pm    

New Pic!!

Joe Rogers

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2012 5:19 am    

Great guitar sounds great. Had a chance to play it a couple times and found it to be very player friendly. This is Cadillac of the Rains guitars.

Howard Nash

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2012 5:29 am     Your C6 Set-up

Joe,

Please send me a copy of you C6 set-up.

Thanks.

Howard Nash

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2012 7:39 am    

Price lowered again...$3825 plus shipping....

Joe Rogers

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2012 10:05 am    

Well, this a just a great steel, I played a few times and that rains is hard to beat! And, if you buy that thing.... you get some of the magic Joe has in his hands.... you will be a better player Winking I promise!

A fact: If I would have the money for... I would buy it in a minute! This is a great steel in great condition, like new, hard to find for this kind of money, a honest and true person to deal with... is there something else you need... ????

right, you have to have to money for!!! Oh Well
Be fast, the one who got it, have a winner at home!
Smile

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2012 11:07 am    

Price lowered again...$3725 plus shipping.... Smile

Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2012 5:07 am    

Price lowered again...$3625 plus shipping....

Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 10:25 am    

Price lowered again...$3525 plus shipping....
Last price drop before I yank it off the market.

Joe Rogers

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 8:23 am     Rains

Joe, is the E9th neck an Emmons set up?

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 8:45 am    

Floor pedals are Emmons setup, E raises and lowers are on the right knee.

Joe Rogers

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 8:46 am    

on top for a topsteel and a topguy!!! Very Happy

David Black

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2012 8:42 am    

Joe,

Being pretty limited on my abilities on the C6 neck I (like several others have already indicated) would like to have a copy of your C6 copedant. The closer it can get to that of the E9 would make it a lot easier to learn!

Thanks in advance!