The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  how does everyone feal about a ZUM steel the good and bad i
Pete Ethridge

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 9:59 am    

I think it is the best built guitar out the . also the play smooyh and made out of good materal give me your feed back good or bad like to hear both sides

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 12:24 pm    

PRO: excellent guitars: I've had three and all sounded great and played well. Bruce provides excellent customer service

CON: nothing at all, [except I don't think he is taking any new orders]

Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 1:55 pm     Zum Guitars

Over the years I have owned a lot of guitars, ZB,MSA,Franklin, Shobud,Custom Made,and Little Buddy and currently have a Legrande III as well as the Zum.There are some great guitars out there, but none compare to the Zum in my opinion. Bruce builds a great Guitar and his customer service is second to none. He wants the guitar to fit you as good or better than you do. You just can't go wrong with this guitar. Maybe a little pricy, but you get what you pay for.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 3:16 pm    

The Guitar and Bruce, all good, no bad.

Last edited by Ivan Posa on 1 Mar 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 3:17 pm    

As far as tone goes, The ZumSteel is as good as the best out there. On the mechanical end and ease of playing it has the corner of the market. Bruce is a master.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 3:54 pm    

I had one and sold it. It was a nice looking and sounding guitar but a little on the light side for me. I like a guitar to really stay put while playing it. But it was a good guitar in all other respects and as said before, Bruce knows what he's doing.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 5:04 pm    

Really great guitars. Have a "modern" sound, for lack of a better descriptive, and play smoothly and solidly. Some really nice finish options.

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 5:40 pm     All Good !

All Good no Bad, Plays like a Dream,and sounds Like Gold! Bruce is a Great Person to Deal With! Randy Gilliam. Very Happy

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 5:55 pm    

Bruce Zumsteg is gentleman and a fine craftsman. He conducts his business in an exemplary manner.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 2 Mar 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 12:07 am    

Mechanically superb, tonally excellent.

Finish wise, the mica on mine has lifted in a number of places.

Thats the good and bad from my perspective.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 12:24 am    

my first Zum was a 1981 D10 that i got off ebay
it was a great steel & took me forward
i then ordered a new one from Bruce Z in 2006
i'll agree w: many above, Bruce really makes them good to fit the player
i still have it & have no complaints
Zum : all good / no bad Mr. Green

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 4:43 am    

Excellent guitars..

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 7:03 am    

I got my first one in 1979. We still have 3 in the house and I'm getting my old triple neck back. Zum is the best you can get , and Bruce is one of the best guy's I know. I'm currently playing Hal Rugg's 1996 Zum on my Jody Nix gig.

And I still can't think of anything negative....

Last edited by Johnny Cox on 2 Mar 2012 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 7:58 am    

The guitar I have set up and play, at present, is a Zum Hybrid. When I first heard talk about Bruce's new changer design, it got me interested. And when I heard that Buddy Emmons was playing one, that was good enough for me! And I'm not in the least disappointed! Very Happy

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 10:10 am    

My U-12 Zum, bought new in 2005, is the best steel I've ever played. Bruce's commitment to his products is unsurpassed. Buying a ZumSteel was probably the best thing I ever did in my steel career. No negative comments to be made, just positive.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 12:27 pm    

I have a 2001 U-12 and a ca. 92 D-10. All good, no bad. Playability = outstanding. Tone = outstanding. I'm at the point where the only pedal steels I ever play are these and my Franklin.

The only small issue was that when I reconfigured the 92 D-10 (Day to Emmons and a bunch of other changes to match my usual config), a few pull-rods cracked at the hole which holds the pin that fits into the bellcrank. The rods are quite small-diameter - probably one of the things that helps keep the weight down. So that spot can weaken and crack if you're not gentle removing the rod from the bellcrank, and there were a few that were tightly lodged in there. C'est la vie, and I need to replace a few pullrods. I think that's reasonable on a 20-year old guitar. Every engineering design has tradeoffs, and I think the tradeoffs made on these guitars are close to perfect. From a mechanical point of view, I like the newer bellcranks and pullrods better. My takeaway is that when Bruce puts something 'new and improved' on a guitar, it's really 'new and improved'.

Anyway, both guitars sound and play great. They also take different pickups well - I've had original Zum, Emmons, and TrueTone single-coils and Lawrence 9xx and 7xx humbuckers in one or another, and they all sounded different but good, to me anyway.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 12:47 pm    

Dave
I quite like those old style comb type pullers, and I have made a number of pull rods complete with miniature pins made from cut down sewing needles of the right diameter.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 7:38 pm    

I love my 90 D-10. Plays and sounds awesome.

The last two posts hit on the only drawback.
With those pins in the rods riding in the combs, changing of copedent becomes difficult without careful planning, as most of his rods have a bit of a bend, which you have to take into account in the new assignment.
This isn't really a problem since I have an MSA I can tinker with, and if I want changes made to the Zum, he's an hour and a half by car
The Zum is just a superb guitar, and Bruce is a hell of a guy with outstanding customer service.
(Edited for clearer wording)

Last edited by Lane Gray on 3 Mar 2012 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 8:00 pm     Zum

Wish I still had my Black 90 model D-10. A Zum is the best playin steel as far as smooth,tight, solid action, they also have very good tone.

Anybody know what amp, and effects(if any) Gary Carter uses with his Zum on the Marty Stuart show?

terry

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 8:12 pm    

Ken Byng wrote:
Dave
I quite like those old style comb type pullers, and I have made a number of pull rods complete with miniature pins made from cut down sewing needles of the right diameter.

Overall, I agree. The combs allow easier leverage tweaking. I also like the in-line pull that they provide.

On the other hand, the old-style clamp screw can be tough to access, and the newer bell-cranks make it easier to run adjacent pull rods on the same puller.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2012 12:10 am    

Thanks, Ken - that's a good idea. I agree that, from a playing and adjustability point of view, I also like that design. I just find that I need to be very gentle with the rods - I wish I had seen this thread before I started working on that guitar. LOL. But that 92 D-10 is really a great playing and sounding guitar, and frankly, every Zum I've had my hands on (several) was similar.

Pete Ethridge

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2012 5:34 pm     a big thanks to everyone who anser

i really like this ZUM its 02 model and i am very very pleased with probly won't play anything else.when you have a great guitar why trade it for something your not going to like.so i'.

ll keep playing ZUMS from now on. Abig thanks to everyone wh wrote me back on this subject

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2012 6:23 pm     Zumsteel

All good, no bad. The man and the machine. I have a D-10 hybrid, and an SD-10 standard. I treasure them both.
widcj@hotmail.com

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 11:05 am     My Zumsteel- Simply the best

I'm no great player by any means but I record and am primarily a guitarist/composer but when I saw this thread I had to comment, I was lucky enough to order my U-12 from Bruce some years ago and recently I needed another Psg in my studio so I acquired an Emmons Le Grande of which I fondly refer to as Miss Emmons Le Grandia, she's a beautiful guitar which was set up and sold by the great Larry Petree in Bakersfield, I love both guitars but the Zum is so much easier to play and upon doing my research I found that Zums were used by most Pro's but again I'm not a pro player just a avid lover of pedal steel guitar and still learning, anyway thanks to Bruce for my pride n joy, Zums are truly 'Wonderful'. also thanks to Larry for my Legrande II.

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2012 12:23 pm    

Great guitars, no negatives as far as I'm concerned.