The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Rodgers
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 7:04 am    

One of Canada's top pedal steel guitarist, HANK RODGERS has joined his equally fine western-swing fiddler brother FRANKIE in that great session in the sky. Hank was well known throughout Canada and especially in Alberta and BC...a fine gentleman and a fine musician. The RODGERS brothers were legendary in Canada's c/w field and both will now be sorely missed. Our love to Charlane and her family with deepest condolences.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 1:41 pm     Hank Rodgers:

I first met Frankie & Hank in the 60's when they came into The New Frontier in Honolulu where I was playing. (They were on a tour with Rex Allen Sr.) We've kept in touch all those years. Not only will Hank be missed as a musician, both he & Frankie will be missed as just NICE PEOPLE.
Len Ryder

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 4:17 pm    

I can only repeat what George & Len have said, above. Condolences to Charlane & family. RIP my friend! Jim H.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 4:49 pm    

Sorry to hear of Hank's passing. Very sad news.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 7:21 pm    

This is such sad news....Hank was a member of the SWSGA and was at our annual show last month. Due to health reasons, he declined to play; what a gentleman and a good friend and supporter of the steel guitar. Meriul joins me in our condolences to Charlane. She will be in our prayers for strength during this trying time.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Las Vegas, NV

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 6:50 am    

I too add my condolences to Charlane and family. Not long before Frankie his brother passed they played on the Southwestern Steel Guitar Association show. Hank always came to anything to do with the steel guitar in Arizona while they were down here.

He was my first steelseat order even before I had bought the company. That was at Bud's 80th Birthday Bash in Yuma. Through that year we became better aquainted. After I built the first seat I emailed Hank and he told me he did not want it till they came down in October. So I sold that one and built him another one. By the time he got back to Phoenix I delivered him Henry the VII (we had a running joke about how Henry the 8th was setting) Always that great half smile and his eyes would light up.

Great couple and he will certainly be missed.

He was also involved in building steel guitars in Canada. I hope someone on here can give us the whole story on that too. I think I have it correct but would rather let someone that was involved tell about that.

Denise and I will have Charlane and the family in our thoughts and prayers.

and you will both be missed at all our SWSGA functions.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 4:27 pm    

Sorry to hear of this sad news. Charlane & Hank were so very nice to Chris & I a couple of years back at the SWSGA show.
They were outside walking their poodle & we started talking about dogs & had a great conversation.
They were both very friendly & easy to talk with.
We will keep the family in our prayers.
Ron & Chris

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 7:13 pm     Hank Rodgers

Hank will be missed. He was a great guy, and a wonderful player. I did mnay gigs with his brother Frankie, and I still miss him. Two wonderful people gone.
John Cadeau

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 10:31 am    

Sandra and I always enjoyed our visits with Hank and Charlane and offer our deepest sympathies to the family on this loss.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars