The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal failure at a gig..ever happen to you?
Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 10:06 am    

I had the not fun experience of having my string-and-pot Goodrich volume pedal fail on me mid set at a gig this week.

I assumed the cord had frayed or broke, but when I opened the pedal up at break I found that the tiny, thin meal lug that the string is tied to had split in half. Must have been just enough bend in the metal over time to finally and eventually fail. I just tied the end of the string directly to the body mounting screw and was good to go! Whew!

Gotta remember to bring that extra back-up pedal to EVERY gig!

It is a challenge to play a set without a volume pedal--maybe even a good exercise in picking dynamics and muting. Makes you realize how much steelers come to depend on it!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 10:39 am    

It happens. Once I was setting up for a steel show and the string inexplicably came loose from the hold down. I was able to re-wrap it and get going but it was unnerving.
I try and remember to load in the spare.

Electronic pedals are not immune to failure either. Read stories here about broken a/c cords, other problems.

Good idea to have a spare if you can.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 10:41 am     Vol pedal failure

It happened last saturday night. I just went straight to the amp. It's not as scary as you think. Unless you're on the Grand Ole Opry!

Last edited by Dave O'Brien on 18 Feb 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 11:04 am    

I definately have volume pedal failure anxiety syndrome. I have one in every car and two In every steel seat. Confused

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 11:36 am    

YES! Two years ago at a TV recording!!!

Lesson well-and-truly learned and, at last, I have something steel-related in common with Tommy White - I, too, have spare pedals everywhere!

Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 1:00 pm    

NOPE .... but I was playing lead at a job last year and my steel players VP quit Oh Well . He was happy that my Pak-A-Seat was in my truck & loaded with everything.
He has several pedals {to go along with his 7 D-10s} but didn't bother to carry an extra. Rolling Eyes
DOES NOW Exclamation
Peavey Guitars

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 1:22 pm     Dare to carry no spare!

I've alwways used a Fender pot pedal, and the string has only broken once at a gig, and that was back in the '70s. After playing thousands and thousands of gigs, it still serves me well, and still looks like new! The nice thing about the Fender pedal is that no tools are required, and the tension spring acts as a shock absorber, so the string life is VERY long.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 3:21 pm    

I have a small, inexpensive tool bag that I bought at Harbor Freight. Less than $10.

In it, I keep an extra volume pedal, picks, bar, cords, strings, tuner, tools, etc.

That bag lives in my truck and is always ready for emergencies.

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 3:37 pm    

A fifth 'O' hooch & ya don't wurryaboutit.

I never had one quit on a job but I did fret a bit when I changed pots & couldn't figure out how to rewind the damn string,did finally figure it out after about a week(with Tom Bradshaws help)

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 4:58 pm    

Yep..........once.............have always carried spare since then.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 7:28 pm    

I always carry a spare. It's one of the things that could ruin a otherwise great gig. I've had a amp go down and played through the P.A. I had other things fail and had a work around, but I don't have a alternative to the volume pedal other than another on the gig.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 9:23 pm     WIth regard to string breakage.................

I had a 9 volt battery crap out on me once and it started giving off a very slight, distoration sound when notes were plucked. I'd never experienced this before and had no idea what it was. After awhile I just unplugged it and played the rest of the evening without it.

The next week, I'd forgotten about the incident and set up to play. The pedal was working great, having had time to let the battery rejuvanate just enough to get me started. Then boom, it went dead. I always carry extra 9 Volt batteries.

I did encounter my volume pedal not turning off, when in the off position and also, turning off at the top end or at full volume. I took all three of my pedals to a local guitar manufacturer to have the strings adjusted for which he charged me $145.00. I didn't play any gigs for several months and when I did, I found the same problem still existed.

I went back and was again charged $145.00 to do the chore once again. He claimed I waited too long to complain about the work. They NEVER were properly adjusted and remain that way to this date.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 10:25 pm    

$145 Good Gosh Montee we're in the wrong business!!!

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 4:01 am    

I have had the string break more than once on my Goodrich pedal. Goodrich is what I have used for years. That being said, they are not the easiest pedal to put a new string on. Last year the little metal piece broke that mounts to the base of the pedal. I always carry the string and install it when needed.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 5:41 am    

I had the same experience as Ray. The 9 volt battery in my Goodrich pedal went dead. I was lucky that in my head I found the right diagnosis for the scratchy sound.
This doesn't always happen, once one of the replacebel(sp) pick-ups in my Sierra shifted, so it made no contact. I didn't realise the cause why there was no sound... Played standard guitar for the rest of the evening. Oh Well

Quesney Gibbs

Anniston, AL
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 5:45 am     Vp

I have used a Goodrich light pedal for more years than I can remember. Not one failure in all that time. Best VP I have ever had. Very Happy

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 7:04 am    

Oh yes, It happened to me right before Christmas. Was tuning up for a Christmas benefit gig. The pot fell apart inside the can. And no spare. I had a Dunlop pot ordered a few days before the gig, but didn't do me any good that evening. Just packed up the steel, and played rhythm guitar, and banjo for the bluegrass songs. Learned a good lesson, never be without a spare.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 11:14 am    

Last week I played a show. My volume pedal was just fine for the two rehearsals but it went crazy when I plugged it in 20 minutes before curtain. So, I just pulled out my spare vp and, bang, I was up and runnin'.

And that's why I always carry a spare.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 12:35 pm    

Just once that I remember. Last summer playing a gig out in the boonies, 2 hours from home. My Hilton pedal went dead. Luckily I had my Goodrich LDR2 with me. Turned out to be a bad wal-wart. I will never travel to any gig without a spare volume pedal.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 2:52 pm     Vol pedal?

FWIW there was at least one forum regular who never used a volume pedal. Can't remember who - can you?

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 6:21 pm    

I had one go once just as I was launching into the steel break in 'I Sang Dixie'...no fun at all. I spent the rest of the gig going straight into my amp which sucked, but probably a good lesson in right hand technique....
I now always carry a spare.

Pete Ethridge

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 4:37 am     volume pedel

it no secret i do have bad nerves when somethig goes wrong i am very lucky to have a good freind jim parker to help out he a great player and knows how to work on most any steel or pedel.once for some reason the string slipped and i didn't know what went wrong but he took it and put a new strig on it.thanks to people like jim that will help you out of a bind

Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 5:14 am    

I always carry an extra voulme pedal to gigs. I have had pots get scratchy, string breaks, etc.
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 8:32 am    

Dave; I believe your referring to this amazing player right here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeL-jTeEoHQ
What do I win?
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 8:39 am     Interesting...

Greg, that's great... That would sure make you pick with authority, to get the needed sustain, wouldn't it.