The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vintage Danelectro/Silvertone Bass--FSOT
Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2012 1:50 pm    

OK, I have developed some hand problems and I need to get rid if this and an Ampeg bass. I would consider trading for a 70's maple board Jazz Bass or some other relatively thin necked electric basses such as a Vox Phantom, Guild Starfire or ???? I'm also looking for a single coil 12 string electric guitar and would consider D-8 lap console steels too. Or who knows what. I am not going to post a cash price right away, or post to bass player boards until I see what interest there may be here on the SGF.

I think this bass may have originally been sold as a Silvertone, judging from the holes that once held the metal emblem to the headstock. (Repros are available on ePay for $17) The tuners were replaced many years ago with some now pitted ones that look identical to ones you'd find off a 65 Fender bass except that they have no logo. The playability is excellent and it's strung with new Fender nylon tape strings. It growls more than any other bass I've ever played, no doubt due to the 2 original lipstick tube pickups. The bridge is a replacement that allows for intonation to be adjusted for each string saddle but attaches to the body as the original popsicle stick would have. The knobs are incorrect, but have been substituted with some nice chicken heads that appear to be real bakelite from an old radio. I believe all the pots and switch are original and having been sprayed thoroughly, work without crackling.

The bass is in excellent playing condition. The action is low and the frets are fine. The neck is straight. Any dings are minor, but there are a few extra holes as if a different non-standard bridge had once been fitted. I can ship/sell it in a 70's Fender Bass case that works but one of the hinges is a little funky. I intend to publish some photos over the weekend.

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2012 4:12 pm    

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2012 3:29 pm     Silvertone 1443--More Pix

Trades?

About $675 plus shipping could make it yours, too.

I have one of the original knobs. It looks like thoe ones in this picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360393201806+&item=360393201806&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_9546wt_1082

Come to think of it, if this seller knows what he's talking about, (and he seems knowledgeable), the tuners may well be original.

Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2012 5:40 pm    

Scale length?

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2012 6:34 pm    

Stephan Miller wrote:
Scale length?

I believe it's a full 34". I'll post if I find different with a yardstick, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same a P/J Fender.

The neck profile seems pretty much like a Precision. Compared to the Jazz Bass I usually play, it seems flat and wide. Not having played a P Bass for years, I'd say maybe a the Dano's a bit flatter, but less wide, but I wouldn't swear to it.

And though I haven't weighed it, I'd guess it's a little lighter, especially on the body side, than a Fender, but it's not so neck heavy that you're fighting it.

Maybe I can post a pic that gives an idea of the neck profile.

Here's another link with info:

http://silvertoneworld.net/electric/1443/1443.html

I shielded every bit of the cavity with copper tape when I had the pickguard off and sprayed out the pots thoroughly as well.

Last edited by Matt Berg on 16 Jan 2012 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Whitford

Buffalo,NY, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2012 7:05 am     Silvertone

Hi Matt - I've got the same bass. The tuners look original. Mine look exactly like the tuners on my '60's P bass and are reverse, as well. I believe the holes around the bridge are from the bridge cover that originally came with. 34" scale and the neck (at least mine) feels like a Fender C neck, but slightly flatter.
Also, if you look at the back you can see a hole just below the 3 neck screws. It's for adjusting the neck angle with an allen wrench.
I think your asking price is really fair. These basses are GREAT and you don't see them for sale very often.
I love mine. And Matt, I'm missing one control knob. If you wanna get rid of yours let me know.
Good luck - Jim

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2012 8:09 am     Re: Silvertone

Jim Whitford wrote:
Hi Matt - I've got the same bass. I'm missing one control knob. If you wanna get rid of yours let me know.
Good luck - Jim

If the Dano sells and the buyer doesn't want the knob, I will see what I can do.

And yeah, that tilt control screw is useful, helped to set it up fine without missing the ability to crank a truss rod. A lot more sophisticated than using shims.

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2012 9:47 am     Any Interest?

Offers welcome, I can always say no...

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2012 9:07 am    

TT&T

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2012 6:47 pm    

toothy topp--still available...

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2012 1:07 pm