The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shane Yellowbirds steel guy
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2012 5:50 am    

Does anybody know who the steel player is thats in this video?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-FWQmNscM
PS- pay attention at 2:55. NICE CHAPS Whoa!

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2012 5:14 pm    

Quentin, That would be Evan Eghoetz, western Canada, not sure which province, formerly London Ontario man. Evan has been a hot picker since the 70's.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2012 8:34 pm    

Thanks Bent. There are alot and I mean alot of steel players that are under rated in our parts. They should get more recongnition, especially after doing it for so many years grinding it out. I think the problem is that country music is not as endorsed in Canada as it should be and so you see alot of the really good guys who don't have any tie downs (families or other jobs) migrate South. I found Evan Eghoetz in the GFI website. Figured I would search him out that way since I seen the horseshoes and 4 leaf clovers on his fret board in the music vid. Winking
BTW, You build some pretty guitars Bent.
Quentin
www.daddario.com/nyxl
www.bjsbars.com

Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2012 12:17 am    

I don't know who we see in the video, but I think what we hear is Doug Johnson playing. Great playing by the way.

Doug Johnson

Brantford, Ont. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2012 12:09 pm    

Thanks Peter, yes that is my track to Barefeet. My pal Evan is the player on the video but that is my track on the audio. Fun tune, recorded at Jason Barry's Barrytones Studio in St. Clements Ontario.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2012 7:40 am    

Wow, Peter, I guess you have a real ear for who plays what..How could you pick out Doug in particular?. Anyway, I stand corrected, and Doug, fine job on Barefeet. Doug, I hope to meet you at the steel meet in Maryhill in February? I'll be riding up with Dale Rivard.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2012 7:47 am    

Quentin Hickey wrote:
Thanks Bent. There are alot and I mean alot of steel players that are under rated in our parts. They should get more recongnition, especially after doing it for so many years grinding it out. I think the problem is that country music is not as endorsed in Canada as it should be and so you see alot of the really good guys who don't have any tie downs (families or other jobs) migrate South. I found Evan Eghoetz in the GFI website. Figured I would search him out that way since I seen the horseshoes and 4 leaf clovers on his fret board in the music vid. Winking
BTW, You build some pretty guitars Bent.
Quentin

Quentin, you are entirely correct about underrated steel players up here in the cold North. One man that I have gotten to know recently is Dale Rivard. Dale is as pro as they come. He came here for a visit a couple of weeks ago . He played my old Red and he literally made the thing come alive! He left me with my mouth wide open. I thought to myself We really have steel players of this ability in our area?? Dale plays with a tight little blues/rock group and makes the steel fit right in with this type of music.

Thanks for the nice comment on my steels...I hope you all have found my web site, below. There should be a small update on there shortly.