The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alumitone, Telonics - Bionics, Coppertone - what's next??
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 12:12 pm    

Seriously, I have tried both these and each time found myself severely disappointed, and replacing my George L which to my ears is equal or not better than these newbies. I wonder what the next pricy pickup will be called??

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 1:43 pm    

Not too experienced with the different sounds, but the Alumitone is the ugliest pickup I have ever seen in my life. I wouldn't care if it was the "best" sounding pickup in the world and actually played the guitar for me, I couldn't take looking at that ugly thing when I was playing. The puke on the strings would negate any improvement in tone.

Pit Lenz

Cologne, Germany
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 2:02 pm    

honestly, I don`t care too much for the looks of the Alumitone either, but after replacing the XR-16 pickup in my Carter U-12, I liked the clarity and twang of the AT much more than the XR´s sound.
Plus it`s dead quiet!

But , I´m still reluctant ro replace the ( little noisy) singlecoil of my Sho~Bud. It might sound good, but I´m not sure if I want a Model-T with a Flux Compensator...
Shocked

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 2:23 pm    

I am actually happy with the E66 on my E9th but not so much with the 10-1 on C6th on my Carter. I have heard nothing but good things about the Alumitone, and if they offered a different looking cover, I would like to try one.

I had a Sho~Bud Super Pro that I thought sounded like crap and I bought a couple of Lawrence 910's (I think that's what they were) from Tommy White and the guitar came to life. Could be that Tommy left some of his sound in them Laughing . But I also had a Sho~Bud Professional and it sounded great with the Bud pups. I thought the Bud pickups were all the same over years.

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 3:53 pm    

Personally, I like the looks of my Alumitone and the tone and is outstanding - plus it's the quietest I've used (when it's supposed to be quiet).

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 6:10 pm    

I find I am happiest with Bob's Tonealigner pickups. They are quiet, mellow, and punch when you need them to.

I've gotten rid of just about every other pickup that's been in my various steels and ended up with the Tonealigners
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 7:11 pm    

The Alumitone is not pricey. It's on a level with the 705's, Gl's etc. It's a nice sounding single coil-esque response without all the hum IMO. The differences are subtle at first in some cases. You'll notice the important differences in the heat of the battle on stage and likely in your recordings.

I've no experience at all with the Telonics, so I can't comment on that. At nearly twice the cost of the others, I would imagine they have a unique quality in some aspect.

Personally, I'm tickled pink that the guitar builders, electronics companies etc. are still doing R&D and continuing to design new products for the steel guitar. It's good to have choices of guitars, amps, speakers, fx devices, vp's etc.

It's only when they stop that we need to worry.

I don't have the means to spring for some of the new products, but I get the chance sometimes with the "trickle down" experience from those that like to experiment a lot.

You don't have to buy the stuff if you're happy with the status quo.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 6:29 am    

Ugly duck for sure, looks terrible in a black guitar Rolling Eyes
I usually pick them for the sound.
Single coils aside Tonealigner and AT are my first picks

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 8:02 am    

The Alumitone is also available in black.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 10:31 am    

I remember about three or four years ago being in the Carter Room at the Dallas show and trying the first Alumitone, it was fitted in a black SD10.It was so new it had no cover on it, I compared it with two identical guitars either side of it,one with a Bill Lawrence the other a GL , I personally just loved the Alumitone and asked John if I could buy one, but he explained it was experimental(hence no cover) and was not yet on sale. I personally like the cover, and as previous poster said they also come in black.If I could afford one I would try it on my Millenium (the mounting block for the Msa makes it very expensive), although I am more than pleased with the Truetone fitted on it.As they say different strokes for different folk.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 2:40 pm    

Ugly? That's not what I heard.

"Hope this answers the questions that many of you have asked. One more thing that is obvious about these pickups. They are without a doubt, the most beautiful pickups that have ever been put on a steel guitar. The ones we sell are all chrome. This beauty factor alone is well worth the price of the pickup." - Bobbe Seymour, Hendersonville, TN. Devil

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 2:48 pm    

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I hear, but I think they look great.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 3:04 pm    

Truthfully I don't know if I could look at that chrome on my vintage ShoBud. I'll ask Bobbe if he sells the black ones now.

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 4:22 pm    

Here's the black Alumitone for your reference (I still prefer chrome on my red/black PSG):

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 10:01 am    

oops

Last edited by Roger Francis on 5 Jan 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 10:02 am    

[quote="Ken Metcalf"]Ugly duck for sure, looks terrible in a black guitar Rolling Eyes
I usually pick them for the sound.

http://youtu.be/8OcQ9A-5noM

Bob Baringer

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 1:11 pm    

I have "Alumitones" in my pre RP Mullen since they were first available, I had several other make pickups, the Jerry Wallace were just great but in a couple venue's (transformers at a Ski Lodge)etc. the hum was out of control...the Alumitones are quiet in all venue's and the highs are outstanding, for me anyway...

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 6:17 am    

ALUMITONE, hands down, tried many pickups, not too disappointed, in fact with 4 steels to my name right now I have 6 different pickups, but again it's the Alumitone.

How come Buddy, Paul, Tommy etc can sit down to an old Emmons, or Show Bud, MSA and play the hell of it, these Icons players of pedal steel sound just like always, awesome.............is it the guitar, the pick up, the bar, amp, brand of beer.

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 7:59 am     Alumitone, Telonics - Bionics, Coppertone - what's next??

My search is over for the best pick up, and I have tried far too many.
Go here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=220347&start=75
and scroll down.
Go here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=220939
and scroll down.
Best regards, Jay Thompson

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 9:10 am    

I actually like the look of alumitones. Sort of has a Rickenbacher "toaster" pickup vibe.

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Rep...up_Front_SRK1F

Haven't had the pleasure of hearing one yet, but I've always been happy with the tone of my Emmons single coils.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 6:58 am     Re: Alumitone, Telonics - Bionics, Coppertone - what's next?

tbhenry wrote:
Seriously, I have tried both these and each time found myself severely disappointed, and replacing my George L which to my ears is equal or not better than these newbies. I wonder what the next pricy pickup will be called??

I know a singer with the same problem. Even the most expensive mike he can buy doesn't make him sound any better. Neutral

Jerry Kippola

UP Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 2:06 pm    

I'd like to see them make it in Nickel, a much warmer lookin finish that would look the part down the road. Never tried one, but would like to- anyone have a 10st
nickel wide mount AT ?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 2:40 pm    

http://www.lacemusic.com/Bassbar.php
No nickel, but I see they're offering a "natural" finish which appears to be tumbled or just original alum stock.

There used to be some pics in pedal steels, but don't see them anymore. Yet, the Bassbars are the steel guitar units.

I think they look cool, but my concern is how they sound v how they look. IMO, anything is an improvement over the old laminated black plastic transducer we've had for 100+ yrs.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2012 5:15 pm    

Sometimes I wonder what people are expecting when they swap pickups out. They're not going to turn a 'Bud into a PP, or increase sustain from a relatively dead guitar... pickups amplify the vibration and character of the strings they're under.
That being said, of all the many pickups I've played, there are relatively vast differences in clarity, response, string separation, balance, and feel (for lack of a better descriptive term). It follows that players would have as different emotional and perceptive responses between the various designs as they do between guitar designs.
Sometimes one can be happy with a recommendation from a trusted player, but unfortunately it may take trying several or many brands to find the one that best makes your guitar "speak" and rings the bell for you.
For me, I've just loved the sound of OME single coils in some guitars, preferred various 'buckers in others. the Alumitone is a fine, clear pickup with a LOT of relative output volume and very clear highs.
Some guitars might need that more than others.
I've just swapped an Alumitone for a Telonics in my Williams, and the adjustability (to a fine degree) wins out for me. I liked the Alumitone much better than the stock SC though.

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2012 8:54 pm    

+1 for Alumitone
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com