The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kalamazoo KG-11 needs work
Lee Cecil

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2011 12:49 pm    

Despite the fact that this one needs some work, it's a ridiculously great sounding little blues guitar. I've had it over 20 years, and performed on it many times, either with a bottleneck slide, or on my lap with a extender nut. The Robert Johnson stuff just sounds great on this one. It frets pretty well in the first position but the action gets high pretty rapidly, which makes it great for slide, but not so good for fingerstyle up the neck. If you want to be able to fret up the neck, it needs a neck reset, or perhaps a heat press to straighten the neck.

There are several significant cracks in the back and the usual assortment of dings and scratches. A few of the cracks show signs of attempted repairs, but not all, and a few are completely through the back of the guitar. It was cracked when I got it, and I never bothered to have them repaired because it sounded so good. I've played it like it is for years. The bridge is perfectly tight, and not lifting at all. Then neck joint is tight as well. Tuners appear to be original. Frets are in good shape. There are a few fretboard cracks, but they're not going anywhere. The pickguard looks to be a replacement. The binding of this guitar is beautiful and unusual, sort of a tortoiseshell look. It's clearly original, but I've not seen another guitar with binding like this, and neither has anyone else I've showed it to. I've tried to show it in the pictures, but it doesn't show up so well. There is an eyelet screw in the top of the headstock that's been there since I bought it, and I never saw any reason to take it out.

I have a chipboard case for it, but not the original case. More pictures available on request. This guitar is also on eBay, but I'll make the customary donation if it sells to a forum member, which would certainly be my preference.

$675 plus shipping.

Thanks for looking.