The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National New Yorker wiring
Jonathan Currier

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 5:48 am    

Hello all!
I am a new member, and looking forward to trading information with other lap steelers.
I recently purchased a 1937 National New Yorker. It has had the rotary selector switch replaced with a toggle switch, disabling the two hidden pickups under the fingerboard. I am looking to find a diagram of the original wiring, so I can restore the original pickup switching configuration. Can anyone help me out with this? I would be happy with just a description of how the original switch worked, eg. Which pickups were active in each switch position. I will document the surgury, and post photos if folks are interested. Thanks in advance to anyone able to help me out! ... Jon

Kelvin Monaghan

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 6:46 pm    

Hi Jonathan,I rebuilt my 37 this is the correct wiring.

Hawaiian front 4 pickups all on.The two bass sides are in series thru a .47 capacitor.The two treble sides are in series thru a .02 capacitor,then both sides are in parallel.

Chimes Front two bass side pickups in parallel with the back pickup

Harp is back pickup alone.

Just remember the orientation of the magnets is critical don't get them mixed up,also Bass side means pickup covering 456 strings and treble side 123.

Tonally the Hawaiian setting is very Stat like ,nice and clean not at all bassy or muddy as some i have heard on youtube.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan Currier

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2011 3:33 am    

Fantastic!
Thanks very much for the info!
I had suspected that was the arrangement, and am really glad to know the correct setup.
I had a somewhat harrowing experience while trying to sort out the switch problem. I caution anyone attempting to remove the pickups from this model, as the lead wires coming out of the coils are very small and very exposed to damage. Any movement of the wires in the cavity could break a lead wire from one of the coils. Don't ask me how I know this! I have another story about repairing one of these coils that I will tell later. The good news is that all pickups are working now, and I just have to put in a three position rotary switch to put everything back to normal. I do love the big full sound of the Hawaiian setting! I have been documenting everything in photos, and will share the story in a future post.
Thanks again for the info, ...Jon

William Steward

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2011 6:59 am    

Kelvin, Jonathan - a photo or schematic of the correct setup would be very helpful to me. I would like to restore the wiring on mine which still has everything intact however the bottom pickup may need replacement (any suggestions for source). Thanks, Wil

Jonathan Currier

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 1:39 pm    

I am working on a drawing and photos now. I do not have an original leaf style switch, so that is the part of the puzzle that I am missing. Since I can't get an exact replacement, I will use a modern equivalent rotary switch, which will be in my drawing.
If anyone could provide details of the original switch, that would be helpful to me and other restorers.
The sound of this guitar through my Magnatone 460 is Stunning! A real jaw dropper for sure. ...Jon

William Steward

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2011 3:47 am    

Jonathan - by 'switch' can I assume you are referring to the rotary 'blending' pot or am I looking at something else entirely? I can check the specs on mine. I was playing it last night and agree it has a unique sound. Is certainly my favourite in my small collection but would like to fix the wiring so I can use the second pickup.