The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Video Clip As Played On My "New" Mullen SD-10
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2011 2:34 pm    

Up until recently I had never owned a Mullen Steel Guitar. I had played several over the years of other players Mullen guitars and always thought they were built well and sound good, but never actually owned a Mullen.
I was able to make a trade for a "New" SD-10 3x5 a few weeks ago. I thought the guitar was set about an inch higher than standard when I tried it out but knew that I could probably adjust the legs and get it set back to standard height.
However,in trying to loosen the leg and slide the leg back into the outer tube it seemed like the compression ferrule had been crimped on the leg keeping it at that length. I though it may have been ordered like that and I would probably need to get some standard legs from Mullen.
I called the Mullen Factory and Mike Mantey answered. I told him that I had a Mullen guitar that may have been ordered with 1" over standard legs and I wondered if I could maybe trade for 4 standard length legs since these were like new. He asked me to measure the legs to see if they were 1" over standard. They were.
He asked me to give him the S/N of the guitar, which I did and he told me that the guitar was shipped with standard legs in July 2011.
He asked me to loosen the ferrule and slide the leg into the outer part but I couldn't. I had thought the ferrule had been crimped or something, keeping the legs from being moved at all. He said no that they didn't do that, so the legs must be stuck.
So, while Mike was still on the phone he told me how to go about loosening the Brass and Fiber ferrule so I could then adjust the legs where they needed to be.
I did what he suggested and "Hobbie-Jobbie" I was able to correct my problem. All in all, Mike stayed on the phone with me for about 30 minutes trouble-shooting and correcting my problem for which I was grateful.
I thought sure I would have to buy new legs.
So, my reason for letting it be known that the very first time I ever called Mullen Guitar Company about a problem, the man that could solve my problem answered the phone....Mike Mantey.
How many times have you ever had that to happen in this day and time? You're lucky if you can even talk to a human being, much less someone who will stay with you on the phone until your problem is resolved, as Mike did.
Needless to say Mike Mantey and Mullen Guitars hit a Home Run with me....first time at bat. Smile

Thanks Mike for your very able assistance.

By the way, here is a video clip if you want to hear my "new" Mullen with me playing along with Laney Hicks, one of my favorite singers. This video was made with a Vado-HD pocket camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMr98kTWgDs

Last edited by Roger Kelly on 25 Oct 2011 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2011 5:03 pm     great playing!!

hey Roger you sure sound good my friend
mullen sounds great my friend
Gary came down today and told me you guys had made a swap looks like you both did very well
make some more I like um!!
Mike Very Happy

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2011 2:08 pm    

All the Mullen gang is top notch. Service and dependability can't be beat in my opinion. And of course, The Mullen Guitar is #1 in my Book. Good luck with your Mullen Roger, Larry

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2011 6:30 pm    

Sounds good Roger. Keep it up.

Tony

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2011 7:25 am    

Hi Roger Mr. Green
the 3 of you seem to get along fine - Mullen, Laney & you
Keep up the good work & send more

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2011 6:00 pm    

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I hope to be able to put more time in playing my Mullen soon.
My wife and I have been spending many days and nights at the Hospital in Rome, Ga. due to her mother's illness. We pray God will heal her and we ask for your prayers for her too.
Many thanks.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 4:32 am     prayers

Roger we will keep your motherinlaw in our prayers
here at my house
my wifes mother was a wonderfull lady and I loved her as I did my own mom bless um both are gone now
Mike Very Happy

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 5:00 pm    

Roger, you did great playing on that, but then you always do.
How about a few more, I always enjoy listening to your playing.
Your mother in law is in our prayers. Hope all goes well for her.
Carl