The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  All dressed up and no place to play.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2014 4:08 pm    

We work all year to learn some songs to do a particular show only to find out your not invited.
For most of us this is the only time we get to show our talent. So we contribute our talent for free, buy a motel room for 100.00 bucks plus the expense of getting there and play for a half an hour. Why do we do this, well I for one don't do it to impress anyone. I do it because of my love of the Pedal Steel Guitar and the friends I've made over the years that I enjoy being with. A lot of these Steel shows have forgotten the reason for having these show's. They think its about having the pro's and Stars there to bring in the people and make money. Well here some food for thought. Next time you have you show, don't invite any of us non pro's and see how your show goes.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2014 7:39 pm    

Bill Dobkins, you sound like you're in cut time.You make a good point out of what's wrong with everything anybody who is in charge, but, you do it for the love of the Steel Guitar and the people you want to be around who do have a name or not. Did your Steel Guitar cry about it? The brotherhood of Musicians across this here USA and around the world is powerless with changing anything about real Traditional Country Music to it real roots of what History it plays.Man, I am so sad about how so many who have been around this circle of the Music business can't stand up to it neighborhood of night clubs and build it back to what it was. It's not dead,it's the people who play it are to old to do anything about it with these folks and let the young walk all over us. Not Me.Good luck in your neighborhood and change them radio Stations too! Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the Pigeons -facebook. Winking Winking

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 5:03 pm     The Shows and the Pros.

Bro. Bill, don't let it get you down man. I'll never get invited to play a steel guitar show, but it does not bother me in the least. I've been to the Phoenix, Dallas, and Tulsa Shows, and I heard some great players, and some that ain't so great. But everyone is having fun and I enjoy just getting to hang out, talk to a few folks, play Fred Justice Steel Guitars, and go home. I'll be crankin' the old Emmons up this weekend, in Woodward Okla. There ain't much money in it, but I do it cause I love to play Steel Guitar.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 8:55 pm    

Don't get me wrong, It doesn't get me down. It does however upset me that some of these show's have forgotten what their about.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.