The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  iPad2 - any apps applicable to psg?
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2011 6:15 am    

For example, tab, pocket type diagrams? Tools to make diagrams such as those?

I've got one coming Tuesday. I have some PC smarts but iPad smarts are developing (I helped my wife when she bought one this summer and got seduced by the thing). It's got a lot of potential as a helpful tablet when you're away from your guitar or PC; very portable, responsive, etc. especially with the touch screen.

So anybody been scoping them out yet? Thanks for any discussion.
bk

Patrick Janka

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2011 8:31 am    

Guitar Pro is a tab editing app that has an option for steel. I also like Gigbook for storing charts, set lists, etc for gigs. You simply place your iPad on a music stand or get a special iPad stand. There's the pedal steel app, which is a fun virtual steel. I also like AC-7 Core, which allows you to wirelessly control you DAW, which is nice if you're tracking in another room.

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2011 1:31 pm    

Thanks Patrick, I'll look for those. I'd seen pro guitar which has 6 string guitar and bass stuff, but didn't see any pedal steel. I'll do a more thorough search.

I've found I can e-mail myself from a PC with Excel chart attachments viewable on the iPad, e.g., pocket charts, tab, etc. I'm looking at the "Pages" app as a possible way to modify those, but haven't downloaded it yet.

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2011 1:46 pm    

I use an Ipad for all my cord charts, set lists, etc. It's very helpful and I don't have to carry books around. There's a very good app. for Ipad. It's called "onsong". You can download it for $4.99. I just recently started using it, but apparently you can share files and connect Ipads via Bluetooth. I guess you could go on line, download the lyrics to a song, and share it on stage. Easier to manage requests.

You can use their simple software which allows you to change keys, etc, or use other word document programs to copy and paste. Some of the word document programs don't work on all the features.

Several of the major music stores, (guitar center, etc), have Ipad holders that attach to your mic stand or guitar leg.

One down side is that it's difficult to see the Ipad if you're playing outside.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 9:49 am    

would be nice to have Biab for Ipad.......