The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Georgia Steel Guitar, Roadside Rag orgins
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 8:16 pm    

Just wondering if anybody knows the orgin of these steel guitar instrumentals?

Thanks

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 10:02 pm     That's a great question!

At the moment, I can't recall 'names' but a little history does rise to the occasion.

"Georgia Steel Guitar" was written by the steel player that was with Curley Williams and the Georgia Peach Pickers, years ago. He was Clyde "BOOTS" Harris, born 10/20/23, Henderson AL. He penned the song in 1944 and played the Grand Old Opry from 1942-1945. He had several other businesses and retired in 1997.

The other tune you mentioned, I seem to recall on an earlier RCA recording by Cecil Campbell........

JERRY BYRD had a great instrumental version of the first one you mentioned.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 10:31 am    

thank you for the information Ray.

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 3:05 pm    

Not 100% sure but I think that "Roadside Rag" might have been penned by pre-war Western Swing steel guitarist Andy Schroeder.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2011 9:36 am     Roadside Rag was by "Andy" "S" !!

I have an old late 40s "78"rpm record of the "Roadside Rag" by "Speedy West" and it lists Bill Boyd and Andy Schroder as co-writers !! Andy "S" worked in the Bill Boyd band and probably wrote the tune himself and "boss Bill" just added his name !!!! Andy had a couple other steel songs on record with Bill Boyd . the ole geezer AKA Eddie "C"

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2011 1:02 pm    

I remember Boots Harris playing Roadside Rag and thats when I learned it. Back in the old days, if any Sideman wrote an instrumental that the Band recorded, the Bandleader usually always became the co-writer.

Another old Steel instrumental was "Blue Steel Blues" I don't remember where it came from !

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2011 1:20 pm    

There's a nice version of Ga.roadside rag by Jimmy Day on his Steel and strings album. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2011 5:39 pm     A few more "OLDE" steel recordings !!

I looked thru my olde 1940s "78s" and found "New Steel Guitar Rag" and also "New Fort Worth Rag", written by Andy Schroder & Bill Boyd , recorded by Bill Boyd and his Cowboy Ramblers on RCA Victor !! Also recorded on the "Super Disc" label , "the Tennessee Ramblers" - "Beaty Steel Blues" "featuring Cecil Campbell on guitar " (should have said steel guitar)!!?? the old geezer AKA Eddie "C"

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2011 2:36 am    

I believe that "Blue Steel Blues" was a Ted Daffan composition.

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2011 10:39 am     Roadside Rag

Eric, I tried to get Ted to teach me his original verson of The Blue Steel Blues shortly before his death. He said that there had been too much water under the bridge and was not sure he remembered exactly the way he first recorded it. Shot Jackson recorded a tune he called THE FORT WORTH DRAG or Fort Woth Rag, do you know which is the correct
title?

www.billchaviers.com

Steel Guitar Tabs

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2011 11:29 am    

Ray brings up the great Jerry Byrd version of Georgia Steel Guitar. I've always loved Chet Atkin's break on this tune. When Jimmy Capps and I used to play this tune in Slim Mims' band, he could quote that solo note for note. I learned it from Jimmy and still love to do it.

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2011 12:27 pm    

Shot's song "Fort Worth Drag" as featured on the 1965 Starday LP "Stars of the Steel Guitar" is nothing more than a thinly-disguised rip off of "Roadside Rag" played on resophonic guitar instead of steel. You can hear a few measures of the recording on this site...click the icon next to the title: http://www.allmusic.com/song/t2455453 I don't mean to sound critical; I happen to love this recording!

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2011 1:46 pm     Roasdside Rag/Fort Worth Drag?

Thanks Eric, I had forgotten about that album. I think I do have a copy in storage. Been a few years since I last listened to it.

www.billchaviers.com

Steel Guitar Tabs

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2011 12:45 pm    

How many of you Old Timers remember playing "Dragging The Steel"? Same initial Riff and chords as the fiddle tune "Dragging The Bow". Don't know which came first !

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2011 1:01 pm     I've wondered about this stuff for years.................

You mention "Draggin' the Bow" or "STEEL".........

I believe "Draggin' the Steel" came first but I've been known to make a mistake here and there. Texas Jim Robertson's band was the first I ever heard to do "Draggin' the Steel"

How about the late DALE POTTER's "FIDDLE STICKS" which was a note for note version of "Oklahoma Stomp"?

"Blue Steel Blues" was quite popular when I was still a young'n, as was "This is Southland". Anyone got either of those tunes they could post here?

As long as we're on the subject. What about JERRY BYRD's "BLACK & WHITE RAG"? Also some similarities to "DRAGGIN' the STEEL". Anybody got a copy of that?

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2011 5:13 pm     Fort Worth Rag !!???

Andy Schroder wrote and recorded "New Fort Worth Rag" in the mid 40s with Bill Boyds group. Shot recorded the same song in the 60s on the Dobro and called his version "Fort Worth Drag" !! I have both recordings. Eddie "C"

Fred Isenor

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 11:01 am     Roadside Rag

Billboard Magazine November 25, 1944 states Roadside Rag was composed by Bonnie Dodd. She played steel with Tex Ritter on some of his mid 1940's Capitol records. However Billboard often made mistakes so who knows.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2016 5:25 pm    

Bob Dunn did Roadside Rag around 1935. Think he may have originated it.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2016 9:10 pm    

The earliest versions of "Roadside Rag" that I know of:

April 22, 1940 by The Hi-Flyers with Andy Schroder on steel

November 7, 1944 by Cliff Bruner with Harris Dodd on steel

November 19, 1945 by Bill Boyd with Noel Boggs on steel

Here's the label of the first version, showing "Schroder" as composer.

Followed by a pic of Andy, taken in Odessa in 1947.

Followed by a pic of the original "Georgia Steel Guitar" by Curley Williams, with composer shown as "Harris". That's Boots Harris. Recorded late 1946.

Followed by a pic of Boots Harris when he was with Hank Williams in 1944. Boots to Hank's left.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 2:51 pm    

DRAGGIN' THE STEEL' was written by Tommy Sargent and was recorded by 'Texas Jim Lewis and his Lone Star Cowboys' on 'Exclusive Popular series 34X', EXC-1270-2. (I just happen to have the original 78 rpm)

When I was playing steel for the Manvel, Texas Opry in early 2000's, one of the guest vocalist asked me if I could play it because her dad played steel and knew Tommy Sagent, who taught it to her dad.

She grew up hearing her dad playing that tune and wondered if I could learn it play it for her at our Opry.

I just happened to have the record in my collection, but never learned to play, until she asked for it. So I did, and everytime she would come to the opry, I got to play it. 'It's a small world'!

Thanks for the memories.

Jim

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 3:10 pm    

Jim Bates wrote:
DRAGGIN' THE STEEL' was written by Tommy Sargent and was recorded by 'Texas Jim Lewis and his Lone Star Cowboys' on 'Exclusive Popular series 34X', EXC-1270-2. (I just happen to have the original 78 rpm)

Here ya go, Jim. From early 1948.

Texas Jim's brother Jack Rivers (Lewis) also recorded "Draggin' The Steel" a few months later. Not sure, but I think Sargent is on both versions.