The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Derby d10 adjustment
Christopher Robison

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 2:12 pm    

Just got a beautiful derby d10. All mechanics are in pristine condition; however, I feel like the lkl lever is mounted in a weird spot. It’s mounted between pedals 3 and 4 while lkr is mounted between 4 and 5. Does anyone consider this to be normal? (for a derby or even in general). I’m pretty new to this (only my second steel) but it feels awkward to play- my leg is at a weird angle. just want some perspective before I take the steel apart to move things around. Lkr mechanics aren’t meant to be moved so I’d have to move all pedals and associated mechanics one spot to the right to compensate

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 6:36 pm    

That sounds pretty normal to me. If you are sitting in the correct position, the left leg should be at an angle while your right leg is perpendicular to the guitar. In other words, move your seat position to the right, with your body centered at the 15th fret.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 7:05 pm    

I 2nd Bill's post.
Most players want there right leg 90 degrees to the guitar sitting on the volume pedal between the RK levers and your left leg at an angle to reach the pedals.

Another thing that could be causing a LK lever problem is, If the guitar has been changed from Day Set Up to Nashville/Emmons Set Up. By a previous owner.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 10:04 pm    

That might be considered normal if it had a zero pedal. Generally the LKL is positioned between P2 and 3 and the LKR 5 1/2- 6" away.

Christopher Robison

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 2:21 am    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
That might be considered normal if it had a zero pedal. Generally the LKL is positioned between P2 and 3 and the LKR 5 1/2- 6" away.

That’s how I feel. I understand my leg needing to be at an angle, but with present setup it’s almost impossible for me to compress “a” without engaging lkl

Christopher Robison

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 2:22 am    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
that’s how I feel. Lkl seems to be in the way at present

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 7:30 am     Congrats!

Derbys are fine steels and opinions may vary, but many think as good as any all pull guitar ever produced. They have been played by the best and are still played by many! All of that said, the vertical angles of the knee levers are adjustable by an Allen screw, easily accessible. It is true however, moving the knee lever cross shafts are not an easy process, but not out of the scope of a competent pedal steel mechanic. A few have chimed in here, that could do that for you. I'm short, 5' 2", so every steel I've played, mostly Derbys have been modified to fit my shortness, which is mostly in my legs. There are big players, tall player, short player and players of ever shape and description. Not every steel, especially in the used market, will be a perfect fit for all. For me, having my right forearm horizontal to the floor is important, so my steel height and seat height are important. Having my right leg 90 degrees to the steel IS important, but for me is not possible, close but no bananas. If you want to play, you will find a way, even if it will never be a perfect fit. IMO!