The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1935 Dobro #37 Sq. Neck. MINT minus!
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 11:44 pm    

I've debated for a few months over this and have decided to offer it for sale. This is a mint-minus model 37 Regal made Dobro label square neck w/solid headstock, a twin to Uncle Josh's old "Cliff".
Screen holes, orig. stamped cone & large spider w/new maple inserts added by me. Maple soundwell, bound top, back, and neck w/rosewood fretboard. Rare model has the original translucent button Kluson 3 on a plank tuners and orig. high bone nut.
I'll tell you how clean this thing is....when I got it from the family of the original owner I opened the orig. faux alligator, purple-lined soft case and the metal and finish were absolutely stunning in condition! No pitting or playing wear really. The guitars finish is still shiny! Not new-ish import type shiny but classy real vintage N.O.S. shiny. Easily the cleanest, most original, unplayed, unfooled with pre-war Dobro I've ever seen, and thats saying alot if you know my history with these instruments. Im not old enough to have seen these guitars when they were new, but I cant imagine they looked much different than this one. Absolutely no weather checking, crazing or dings, and the finish is still quite reflective. All in all, mint minus condition or thereabouts. Only thing I found was a very small bit of binding shrinkage in the bass side waist on the back, no big deal and an easy fix.

Soundwise..... with these guitars, if they sound great with the original cone & spider they're better than pretty much anything else around. This guitar is no exception to that rule: it has THAT Uncle Josh tone. Big, deep bass, punchy mids and sweet twangy highs....think Flatt & Scruggs "Fireball Mail", I kid you not!

$2500.00 firm + shipping to lower 48 or consider trade for 60's-80's Emmons D-10 p/p w/case.
Ive looked over Gruhn's list and he's asking 3K or more for a few in not near as nice original shape as this one.
I will provide detailed pics to serious buyers/traders.
thanks for looking!
sincerely,

MC

mwillsteel@comcast.net

615-446-5952 10am-6pm.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 12:51 am    

There are few people on this earth who know more about original Pre-WWII Dobros (and setting them up) than Mike Cass. A great many of the Dobros that I have collected (from lowly model 27's to the rarest custom walnut model 156) all came by way of Mike. He was trained in reso set-up by none other than (the late) John Dopyera himself.
Mike-One question-I thought the "solid headstock" models were put into production in around 1937?
Also-One suggestion-This post might get more views by prospective buyers if it were in the "For Sale Steel Guitars" section.
P.W.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 3:16 am    

I'm not a perspective buyer,and I have a 1937 model 37 round neck Regal dobro/solid headstock...(NOT in amazing condition)...but I'd sure like to see some pics of this gem! Very Happy

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 1:56 pm    

Paul, Im guessing the age really, give or take a few considering theres no ser#, but the family thought the sister said '35 so there ya go. I may put it up on the steel sale area.
Will post pics when I get my cam/card straightened out.

Jack DiFranco

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2011 7:41 pm    

Boy, I'd like to see some photos too!

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2011 1:49 am    

Mike Cass is away from his house for a couple weeks.

When he returns, he says he will get to the bottom of his digital camera data card issue and post some photos and reply to any questions.

Thank you.

Chris