The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. My view on this years ISGA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  My view on this years ISGA
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 10:35 pm    

Very disappointing! There was an extremely low turn-out, and looked like an apparent boycott of some vendors. Example. . . . .Emmons, MSA, Sho-Pro, Jackson, Fulawka, Rains, Franklin, Desert Rose, Sierra, Rittenberry, Peavey, & Fender were not represented. None of these companies had a booth this time. Also something nobody can help but many of the big name legends have died off. I really do appreciate Scotty's efforts to keep this thing a float, but it looks as if the St. Louis Steel Guitar Covention as we once knew it is dying.

Nick

Last edited by Nick Reed on 6 Sep 2011 2:52 pm; edited 7 times in total

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 11:43 pm     2011 isgc

Id have to disagree I saw way more people there this year, yes there were fewer vendors and maybe the changes were affecting that but I spoke to many today as we loaded out and they said they did excellent, I dont think that judging the event by simple attendance or visitors or vendors, Its more then that and they are working hard to turn the ship around in a difficult economy, I saw far more people then last year in every show, The Hall of Fame show was well attended, Maybe the Thousands that used to come arent back yet But dont count the team out. Were all working and trying to hold a tradition of THE SUPER BOWL of steel shows, There ws lots of diversity on that stage and I think thats a Plus also...my 2 cents
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 5:44 am    

At any given time there is as many as 4 or 5 hunderd people outside the main ball room, most of the rooms was full of musicans picking,an the vendors look busy. When they shut down the outside rooms for the Awards the main ball room was pretty full, with the economy the was it is, an the bad weather up east I know some could not get plane reservation, an some had there flight cancelled, I would say it was a very well attented event.

Paul E Vendemmia

Olney Maryland Mongomery
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 6:45 am    

I had a great time and spent some money at alot of the venders. And I like the pay booth at the botom of the stairs. I payed one time and went out and had a great time. It's still the super bowl of steel shows

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 8:48 am    

Nick - why did you delete your original post? I, for one, would be interested in your take on the convention. I attended the ISGC for 7 or 8 years in a row. Once the intial WOW factor wore off I realized that they are pretty much the same from one year to the next, and I didn't feel like I would be missing much if I skipped a few. The last one I attended was 2003 and from what I've seen on the forum and from talking to other people I still haven't been compelled to spend the time and money to go again.

John L. Farrell

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 10:47 am    

I just made it here, so I don't know what you said but I will add my two cents.

The International Steel Guitar Convention is a family reunion for me each year since my introduction about 20 years ago. I only wish it had been 35 years ago. Each year I look forward to seeing and visiting with my friends and along with that I get to hear the greatest players in the world. I only wish that all of my friends could return each year. I miss those that do not return. I thought there was a great turnout for the convention this year. And, I visited with some who were there for the first time. I had friends that traveled via Amtrack because it was cheaper than buying gas. As for me, I will figure out a way of being there for 2012 and beyond. So beam me up Scotty, See you next year.

John

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 1:03 pm    

[/quote]pretty much the same every year. I think not,I have been to six and I came away each year with new friends and witnessed great players I have long admired..Russ Hicks recieving his induction for one,Russ and Laney doing the late show and having Leona Williams as their guest..Also the whole Hicks family did a show earlier in the evening,Laney Russ and their 4 beautiful daughters and you could feel the pride that Laney and Russ were feeling as they sang..Incidently If everyone that was present in the builders rooms and walking the halls were in the main room all at once there might not have been enough seats..Everyone has favorites and they won't sit for 5-6 hours,but they are there for their favorits..And there was the return of Smiley Roberts (minus the shorts),the effort it took Red Kilby to be there and in great voice singing with different steelers...Charged my batteries enough to think about next year, health willing..I don't want to forget the Jazz show..Talk about diversity? We already know it won't be the same next year..There will be different inductees,different steelers added to the show but old favorites still being there doing what they always do the same each year..Play great steel guitar...

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 2:03 pm    

Joe,
The scene you described is exactly the way it was the 8 years that I went. Only the minor details change every year. (I think Smiley was wearing those shorts 15 years ago.) I'm not saying that it's bad, just that there's not much new in it for me and hence no reason to drop the cash that it takes to go there.
One thing that drives me crazy about steel shows in general is that the whole day seems to be filled with slow E9 shuffles like "A Way To Survive" or fast jazz stuff on C6. I know that there are exceptions, but I find them to be rare among the other yawners that I previously described.

Let the flaming commence.

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 2:25 pm    

I am new to PSG, and this is the first time I have ever attended the International Steel Guitar Convention. I thought it was amazing!! To think you could meet and talk to some of the best players in the world was incredible. I spend most of my time in the smaller rooms because you could sit in the front row and really watch the players.
My favorite player there was Rusty Rhodes. The way he could jump from one neck to the other and not miss a beat was fun to watch. He would call out songs and a key to the band and everyone would just jump right in. I have never seen anything like it.
I also enjoyed watching Mike Sigler in the GFI room. They make playing the PSG look so easy, but I have found that it is not that easy. It is inspiring to watch really good players; it gives me an incentive to practice more.
I also got to meet my new friend Jay Thompson. It was nice to see you again Jay.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 3:42 pm     Re: My view on this years ISGA

[quote="Nick Reed"]Very disappointing! There was an extremely low turn-out, and an apparent boycott of vendors.
For example. . . . .Emmons, MSA, Sho-Pro, Jackson, Fulawka, Rains, Sierra, Rittenberry, Peavey, & Fender were not represented. None of these companies had a booth this time. Also something noboby can help but all the big name legends have died off. I really do appreciate Scotty's efforts to keep this thing a float but it's looks as if the St. Louis Steel Guitar Covention as we once knew it has died for good.

Nick, I was there thursday with my Ritt. I thought for that day the crowd was down. From what I have heard the crowds for the rest were normal. I know this was new to a lot of folks(haveing to pay to get in)The convention. I think it should have been done years ago.
I just wish they would give the performers a break. Like Amber Martin,Dottie Jack, Red Kilby Jeanie Devore ect. As for me I know of a least ten people who came to see me and stayed for whole thing. As a perfomer it would have been nice to get a break for Fri and Sat. I'm not complaining as this is not about money to me. Its about getting to play in front of people and friends. As I said on my set for most of us we will never get to play the big time so this is as good as it gets. Thanks again to Scotty and staff for the Invite, Hope I get to come back next year.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 4:08 pm    

Thanks for putting it back up Nick! Smile

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 4:13 pm    

PS All the big names have not died off..Maybe some of them were not there..But their plaques are..

Tommy Gibbons

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 5:54 pm     2011 ISGA thoughts

No WOW factor this year...except Austin Stewart.

I sure wish TEXAS was closer! Texas is where PSG is alive and well...
2012 Dallas...yes
2012 ISGA...unlikely

God bless Dickey!!!

TommyG...

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 6:34 pm    

Nick, I see you mentioned a boycott. If true why would vendors and builders want to take away such a major venue to get their products out there. It doesn't make too much sense to me with such a small market already. I had a good time and the talent was great.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 8:37 pm    

I've been coming to Scotty's convention since about 1974 or 1975. I can see the change in average age of attendees, the low number of well known Nashville veteran studio players on stage (many of which pioneered the different styles). Vendors were fewer in the early years because there were fewer electronic inovations and fewer brands of steel guitars. In general, we're victims of the times. This includes the economy. Scotty probably has the only real handle on it with profit/loss margins and what's needed to keep it rolling.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 2:28 am    

I had planned on going but in the end being retired and on a fixed income I could not justify the $$ it would have cost for my wife (who is learning pedal steel) and I to go. 15 years ago there would not have been any question, we would have been there (and $$ was not an issue) but now with just about all the "pioneers" gone, retired, etc and the number of vendors that were not planning on showing it is not the same.

This is not a "knock" on the pickers that were there, but without Buddy, Hal, Lloyd, Hughey, Jeff, Paul, etc it is not the same.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 6:18 am    

I for one loved the show. There did seem to be smaller attendence. (Seemed like), but I was told it was up from last year. I think there are a lot of people trying to boycott this show, one reason was for the change in the way you had to buy a badge at the bottom of the stairs. I believe in this change and think it went very well. It is soooo far from free for Scotty to put on that show. I arrived Wed. was able to see what goes into setting up.

So to you Scotty and crew, my hat is off to you.

I want to Thank EVERYONE who came to the show and the ones who tried or played guitars in our demo rooms. We had a great time and a nice show.

So see you in 2012. (Security could be beefed up tho, even if the show had to hire someone, but they should not have to)

Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 8:16 am    

We have been coming to this convention since 1985 and would like to give our take on this year's crowd. First of all, clearly there were less distributors than in past years. That being said, it appeared to me that the crowd was up some from the past two years and it definitely was a better buying crowd. I think that the economy has slowed things down but we saw more people buying at our booth than the past two years. All we try to do is break even since we do not have that much to sell and more importantly, is to have the fine folks come by and drink a cup of coffee. The fellowship is always great and we look forward to it every year. The Russ and Laney show was out-a-sight WOW!!! We also had a good turnout for our gospel steel show. A great big thanks to Scotty and all of the support folks for the hard work that they put into this year's convention.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 9:06 am    

i've never been to the StL show, but this year decided to try and attend, things were slow at work so i said this is the year. i tried to round up some local steelers that had been in the past to see if anyone wanted to share a room and i was surprised that out of 6-8 i talked to that HAD been before, NONE were interested in going...all cited different reasons - none having to do at all with the effort Scotty puts in. it ranged from security (i've heard STL can be rough, but figure this hotel is not in that part of town) to Dallas being better musically - i dont know the real reasons but i was surprised as i figured this was THE event to attend for steelers.
still hope to go someday

BOBBY JACKS

Fort Madison, Iowa
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 10:44 am     Constructive Criticism

The Badge area as I saw It was a bottle neck area with vendors on 1 side and people standing in the way of people trying to get back and forth(elevators food area),needs to be moved in my opinion The biggest problem for us in the south tower was the shutting down of the Lower Lobby Elevators MAJOR Hassle for anyone in the south tower(NOT GOOD),you had to walk the entire length of the hotel and back then back again to take something back to your room. The crowd seemed good vendors I talked to said sales were not good, I think as doing this type of thing before being a vendor you need to be there as a vendor even with NO sales because sales may come 90 to 120 days later or more it still gives you the personal contact that you would otherwise never get. I may buy a new guitar but I didn't buy it there but I got to see the new Russler for example and it was very nice. The Russ And Laney Show was GREAT and it was good to see them together with their girls again as I have 4 and I know the feeling. Laney's singing was as SUPERB as Russ's Playing was outstanding on his New RUSSLER Randy built, I think we just need to tweak a few things here and everybody will be Back. If your a steel player or lover SUPPORT is what is Needed thru tough times and we'll be back.

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 12:16 pm    

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed here.

--I'd like to have Buddy Emmons feel welcome to attend AS A SPECTATOR without people bugging him to get up there and play.

--I'd like to see a younger act, like Dale Watson or someone like that, kick off the Friday opener.

--maybe I missed something, but I didn't see the parade of nations at the opener this time. That's why the convention is "International" -- it's like the Olympics -- all may attend, and all may play if they have what it takes!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 12:22 pm    

I know of no conscious or organized boycott of ISGC by any of the vendors I've talked to who didn't attend. Rather, most vendors aren't tourists or "civilians," but are in the business of providing goods and services to the steel guitar industry. We base our decisions on how much it costs to attend, and how sales are projected based on past years' experiences.

Most vendors don't have time to enjoy much of the show, we're busy tending to our tables and rooms. Speaking for myself only, my sales at St. Louis have decreased each of the past 4 years, while the costs of attending have increased substantially, primarily hotel and parking garage expense. I frankly cannot afford to sell 50 courses just to break even on my trip; no slam on the ISGC or Scotty, it's simply a business decision for many of us.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 2:17 pm     Isgc

Well, I wasn't going to comment but I can't hold back anymore. First, I have played the Convention for 34 years without missing and I have had a booth for the past 33 of those years. I think Scotty should be thanked for everything he does as the show was still first class, in my opinion. It as well as all the other shows will never be the same with all the Legend players we have lost. That cannot be changed and is not anyone's fault. People like Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green who are invited but do not want to do any shows cannot be helped and this is certainly not Scotty's fault. There were several great players on the show this year who don't come to many other shows and it was nice to hear them. J.D. Maness had just had surgery but came anyway and he doesn't do many shows so that was a treat to hear him. Next, Steve Palousek who is one of my personal favorite players and blew me away with his tone, touch, feeling and taste. Steve hasn't done any shows in many years, but Scotty talked him into coming. Of course, Doug Jernigan is one of the best of all time and is always there. There were several others that you don't hear very often at other shows, such as: Wayne Hobbs, Smiley Roberts, Jim Vest and more and it was great hearing all of them play too. I will admit that the sales were the worst that I have ever had since I have been going, but it is still good to visit with everyone and there are contacts that are made that do sometimes result in future sales, so I still believe in representing my business. Again, my hat's off to Scotty as he did start all of this and should be commended for keeping it going all these years. I will always be there as long as I am physically able and support Scotty in every way I can.

Herby Wallace

William Beverly

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 2:57 pm     Two Cents More

The show certainly had a little different feeling than last year. There seemed to be a little bit less spontaneous 'off stage' stuff and a quieter crowd overall, but, that having been said, the size of the Saturday night crowd seemed about the same, just less rowdy I suppose. I expected a bigger event because it was the 40th, and it seemed like a good T-shirt opportunity. I was actually on the fence about going until the last minute and am very glad I went. Things I didn't excpect to move me did and things I expected to didn't. As with life. Keep the Gospel going for sure. And wasn't it great to hear how far Herby has come back from his set back? And Joe Wright was materful as ever. What speed and tone! J.D., Russ and Steve were worth the trip alone. And so what if the Legends can't or don't want to do it anymore? Invite them, respect them, thank them for their contributions and move forward. How about more Young Guns to help promote and develope players. Rosevelt Collier of the Lee Boys anybody?

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 3:10 pm    

My opening post was based strictly on personal observation and not personal feelings. The reason I've made several edits were mainly to correct my bad spelling errors. I was only stating my opinion not meaning to insult anyone.
Let me say that the best part of this years convention for me was seeing my friends Bobbe Seymour, Larry "Wimpy" Sasser & especially Russ Hicks getting inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Nick