The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Tenor Banjo
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 11:03 am    

I have this banjo here, which is dated to be somewhere in the 1940's....?? Any comments re dating and Value will be appreciated.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 2:23 pm     gibson Tenor banjo

Hi,
With the guitar-style head and decal rather than inlay , I believe this is a 1950s and the serial number would put it at 1955 using the first digit. With dots on the board and the decal, a lower end model. Which model exactly I would hate to guess but probably that should give you a start. Likely you'll find similar ones for sale online with that information and you can probably approximate a value from there. Hope this helps.

Nic du Toit

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 1:57 am    

Thanks for the useful information, John. I had my suspicions that it could be a lower end model. I'll scout around a bit more.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 3:34 am    

Judging from what appears to be a rolled tone ring and as previously mentioned, the style of headstock and inlays (plus the absence of binding along the fretboard), my guess would be a model TB 100...These early "flyswatter" models are actually fairly good candidates for five string conversion.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 6:41 am     Old gibson tenor banjo

Hi again,
I think David is correct on the model, TB-100. So to answer your question about value, its pretty easy to figure out the value in the States, since they are primarily purchased based on the pot assembly and then converted. And you can't compare price on a conversion as that would involve the cost of a new neck and/or tone ring. I've seen some for sale anywhere from $700-1200 but I think anything more than $800 or so would be unrealistic. However, the market for something like that in South Africa I couldn't even hazard a guess since I would bet that locally, not many available. Hope this helps.

Nic du Toit

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 7:13 am    

Thanks John and David.....your input is really appreciated. These banjos are used primarily by local bands doing folk type stuff. They also remove the fourth string, to make strumming easier. ... Smile