The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams VS Emmons guitars
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2011 2:02 pm    

I'm thinking about buying a new D10 and had my heart set on an Emmons Legrande III. I was watching the Presley's TV show from Branson and their steel player has a Williams. It sounded great - nice full sound but plenty of clarity. My long time steel is a D10 1973 Sho Bud Professional so I'm used to a full bodied sound. Any thoughts on the quality of these two in comparison? Emmons claims to have no cabinet drop on their guitars. I'm not going to change unless I can be sure of getting a top quality guitar that functions flawlessly and stays in tune. I heard Bob Johnson play an newer Emmons recently on TV and it also had great tone.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2011 2:18 pm    

I would reccommend trying out all of them, not just the 2 you listed. There are many good steel guitars on the market today. Good Luck, Larry

Reminder: St. Louis show is just a week away....
you could probably try many of them there.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2011 3:48 pm    

• My first steel guitar was a Sho~Bud Professional that I bought new in 1972. Played it for a couple years and then bought an Emmons P/P because I knew some guys who played them and I liked the sound. Sold the Bud, still have the Emmons. I got lucky; I found the guitar for me early.

• I've heard some good players on Williams guitars and didn't really like the sound. I've heard Buddy play an MSA and he sounded great. I played my ol' faithful black Emmons thought a Webb amp one time and got the worst sound I've ever had.

• Nobody's gonna sound like you do on any given guitar, and vice versa.

• Variables, like amp, effects, other guys in the band, humidity, the big-boobed bartender all make a difference.

• You have to own a guitar and live with it to really know if it fits you or not. Kinda like a computer OS or a dog. If it doesn't work for you, get something else. All the advice in the world doesn't mean doody until you experience it for yourself.

• Me, I couldn't tell nothing' about a steel guitar, playing it in music store or at a showroom in a hotel. Maybe the feel, but not the sound. I'd have to play on a few gigs.

• Most, or all, of the guitars on the market today will be "a top quality guitar that functions flawlessly and stays in tune". But they don't feel and sound the same.

• It's too subjective, all too subjective, like this post. A rational decision is impossible, but that's what you get for being a steel guitar player.

• More hare-brained advice on my blog. (in my sig)

• Good luck!
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Last edited by Cal Sharp on 25 Aug 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2011 8:56 pm    

Having owned ShoBuds, Emmons PP, LeGrandes, Mullens, Fessenden, Zumsteel, Carters, and recently gotten a Williams 600, I can say it's a fantastic guitar. While sound is subjective, and response to the feel and tone is a personal thing, I'd agree the Williams has a full-bodied tone while having good separation and high end clarity. I think anybody who likes classic ShoBud or Mullen tones would really be at home with one.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 1:03 am    

I own a U12 Williams, and love it. I've played Emmons and found them exceptable. Like others have already stated, you have to live with a guitar for a while, to really know if it's for you. I'd buy another Williams in a heartbeat if I needed one. Larry

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 7:27 am    

One of the main differences is size. I had an Emmons SD-10 and it was bigger than my Williams D-12, and they weighed about the same. If you are a large person, you might not like the size of the Williams. If you are small, you might prefer it.

If you fly with your guitar or have a small vehicle, the Williams is a logical choice. It's lightweight and compact.

Larry, what do you mean by "exceptable"? Confused

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 9:34 am     Not a Williams in sight

I naturally think you should see what the top players play! Tommy White
Paul Franklin
Mike Smith
Doug Jernigan
Lloyd Green
David Hartley
Herby Wallace
Weldon Myrick
Mike Johnson
Wayne Dahl
Mike Jones
Johnny Cox
And a few more Sonny Garish
Terry Bethel
Terry Crisp

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 9:50 am    

Williams are great little guitars. They have their own user friendly features and sonic characteristics. If you're looking for an Emmons sound, then buy an Emmons.

Otherwise, I refer you back to C#'s excellent take on the subject.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 10:14 am    

C# says:
Quote:
• Variables, like amp, effects, other guys in the band, humidity, the big-boobed bartender all make a difference.

and the man tells the stone cold truth Neutral

Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 11:02 am    

I'd buy the Emmons Legrand 3...You already have one of the best sounding steels in the world, if it's anything like the ones I've played... Only an Emmons sounds like an Emmons,,the rest are just clones...Don't part with the Sho-Bud,,,or you'll kick your A$$,,just like I did....Just my opinion....Carson

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 11:54 am    

Something to keep in mind. I feel sure you will be like most and want to trade or buy and sell along the way. You can bet that a Emmons, Mullen, Zum, MSA, Franklin and more will hold there value.
Other brands sound good and play well but don't sell well. Kinda like some cars !
If you plan on keeping your guitar that is one thing. If you think you will sell and buy something else in the future, thats something you should consider .
I'm not knocking anyone's guitar but they are an investment. Most all modern steel's play good and sound good. Some just sell better than others.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 12:37 pm    

Bill Moran wrote:
Something to keep in mind. I feel sure you will be like most and want to trade or buy and sell along the way. You can bet that a Emmons, Mullen, Zum, MSA, Franklin and more will hold there value.

I would definitely include Williams in that class!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2011 2:05 pm    

Don't overlook the Rittenberry.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 7:11 am    

Or the Henway. Rolling Eyes

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 7:39 am    

Ok Erv...; I'll bite. What's a Henway? Most are about 3 pounds. Laughing

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 12:55 pm     I like that advice

What Cal said. Every one is different ear, differentfeel, just darn different. If we wern't we would have all driven Chevy and married blondes back in the day

Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 3:00 pm    

I married a blonde a long time ago..I was driving a chevy when I met her..I still have the blonde and I'm still driving a chevy... Smile

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 8:39 pm     Williams are great

I was watching the Presley's TV show from Branson and their steel player has a Williams. It sounded great - nice full sound but plenty of clarity.<<

Their Steel players name is Kevin Clemens..he is a great player and I agree, he sounds good on the Williams..I'm sure he would also sound good on other brands as well...I have a Williams series 600 and it is a great Steel with a great changer design.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 5:33 am    

Jim Bob,
You got it!!! Very Happy

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 6:56 am    

Not because I play a Show Pro but, they retain value just as only a few high end models do. I can't recall ever seeing more than a couple up for sale in the add section in the past 6 yrs. The same with the Williams or Franklin guitars.
Show Pro guitars are custom instruments and are built for each individual.
They now offer interchangable aluminum necks too. I have the first one with this design. It is really something to hear and a beautiful work of art.

David Alley

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 8:10 am     emmons or an williams

as an williams owner I would put my guitar up with the rest of them great sound and it's keyless string breakage very rare thats my opinion

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 8:50 am    

I love my Williams and my Carter, but that doesn't mean I don't still want an Emmons. It's great to own a guitar that's being compared to some of the best out there. I found that great equipment doesn't make you a great player, lol. I got to see a Show Pro a few months ago, a true sight to behold.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 9:07 am     Three to like.

Williams, Rittenberry and Show-Pro are my three favorite brands..I do wish Show-Pro would use the same type of end plates that Williams and Rittenberry use.

Jim Means

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 9:42 am    

Hi Steve,
I usually don't weigh in on these kinds of discussions because bass is my main instrument, but I enjoy trying to play steel. This discussion would be the same for whatever instrument.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT CAL SAID!! Read every word and then read it again. I own 3 different brands of steel. Cal was fortunate, he found his early. I was not so lucky. I will not name the brands because it really doesn't make any difference. The main thing is too find a guitar that is an EXTENSION OF YOU . Nothing else will do! My wife is the farthest thing from a musician (but a great supporter). When I am downstairs in my music room playing and she is upstairs, she can tell if I am playing my #1 (favorite) guitar or not just by the way I play. Why, because that guitar is an extension of me. It just "fits". Unfortunately, as Cal stated that just takes a few time out to determine. By the way my wife can usually which one I'm playing when it is #2 or #3. Not because of their sound so much, but because of the way I play.

I apologize for being so wordy Sad Good luck in your search.

Jim in Missouri

Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2011 10:01 am    

There are a lot of great builders out there today..I am quite sure that they all build a fine instrument that sounds good and works good...It's hard to tell anything about a guitar until you gig with it..It just seems like you have to put a few miles on it to really tell..What I like about an Emmons is,,it has a great depth to it's sound,,like a good human voice..Think of Connie Smith or Jim Reeves and you'll see what I mean by "depth"...On the other hand, not everybody likes this type of sound,,some people prefer something else...Again,,this is just my opinion...Cheers,,,Carson