The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  BJS Steel Guitar Bars Business Update
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 7:08 pm    

BJS Bar Customers... To all the devoted friends of Bill Stroud, and customers of the BJS Bar, I am Butch Gardner, and pleased to introduce myself as the new owner of BJS Steel Guitar Bars.

From the business side first... The BJS name, tradition, and reputation will continue. Before his passing, I made this commitment to Bill and am now making that same commitment to all of you. Bill and his family have entrusted me with that responsibility. I ask your patience for the short term while we complete this difficult transition. Over the coming week, I will be completing the affairs required to operate the business and hopefully will able to process your orders very soon. There are some items where available stock has gotten low or is out. I will keep you advised of those conditions on an "as ordered basis". I am taking immediate steps to replenish low and out of stock items as soon as possible. BJS Bars must go through several manufacturing steps to become the quality bar that they are. Again, I will push those to completion ASAP. For correspondence, please update your contact list to direct future BJS emails to bjsbars@hotmail.com. The BJS web site will also be updated with current information in coming days.

From a personal side, I would like to share with all of you and the family, how much I will miss my good friend. Bill and I have worked together for roughly 12 years on what we called our regular job. As you know, Bill was a specialized machinist and die maker by trade. During our relationship we have worked side by side, and long hours on some very difficult projects. These conditions usually make you best of friends or the opposite. Needless to say, Bill and I were best friends. We both had musical backgrounds and shared that passion. It is now that I must tell you, I am a saxophone player and not a steel guitarist. I intend to change that. I am 57 yrs old and have worked for 35 of those years in a metal manufacturing environment. I have now left that line of work and will be focusing my full attention to the business of BJS Steel Guitar Bars.

As my ramblings have already gone on too long, let me close by saying... It is great to be a part of this group of fine musicians. I look forward to meeting and getting to know each of you. I will be in the normal location at Scotty's, so please stop by to get acquainted.

I would like to add a special thanks to Lee Johnson, Bill's right hand man for so many years at the shows and conventions.

Best Regards,
Butch Gardner

p.s. b0b, please place this correspondence where you feel it most appropriate. You will be getting a form for my own membership to this forum right away.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 9:13 pm    

Butch G-Welcome to the Forum.Congratulations on carrying on the B.J.S. Company in the tradition of
our late friend Bill. I have been using B.J.S. bars for approximately 30 years and have a half a dozen of them. The last few times that I spoke with Bill at Scotty's show, He mentioned that there was a new
B.J.S. "Dobro" type bar that he was developing.
(Something possibly shaped like the old Steven's steel-for lap steel or resophonic guitar players)
Do you have any plans for a B.J.S. bar such as this
to be produced in the near future? Thanks. Paul W.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 3:20 am    

Welcome Butch!
You have a great legacy to live up to.

In addition to the great BJS product (I own two) Bill's customers service always went beyond what was required.

I spoke to Bill about his plans for a Dobro Bar at least 5 years ago. He said to expect one in the following year. It didn't happen, and I didn't follow up as I was content with my Scheerhorn and ED Smith.

I just assumed the project was on hold for whatever reason. No problem there, but if a BJS dobro bar is ever produced I'd buy one, just because the PSG bars are so good.

Don't worry about not being a Steel Player.
Leo Fender didn't even play standard guitar.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 4:14 am    

Welcome aboard Butch G.. I also have two BJS bars that I bought from Bill a few years back.I have been using it ever since I got them.I would also be interested in a Dobro Bar.It is never to late to learn to play the most beautiful sounding Instrument in the world the Pedal Steel Guitar.I started when I turned 60 and will soon be 75.
Good luck and hope it all works out for you.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Bill Stroud

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 5:54 am    

Paul, Joey, and Sam, Yes on the Dobro, and thanks for your input.

From a business plan standpoint, I expect it may take me a month or so to get caught up with the Steel Guitar Bar portion of the business, and that must be the first order of business. However, during this period I will be in the early stages of developing a Dobro product. My goal is to have a Beta version available before year end.

You guys and anyone else interested in the Dobro product, please drop an email to bjsbars@hotmail.com with Dobro in the subject, and I will keep you personally updated on my progress.

Thanks Again,
Butch

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 8:30 am    

I am very sad about Bill's passing. Bill was a long time dealer of Hilton Guitar Pedals. Everybody liked Bill.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 10:45 am    

Glad to see that the best bar in the business will continue to be made.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2011 6:59 pm    

Butch, this is great news. I am so stunned at the loss of Bill. But so glad that his legacy continues in your capable hands.

I'm a long-time user and dealer of BJS products, and was fearful these amazing products were going to vanish.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2011 3:42 am    

I wish you much success and I to appreciate you continuing this great product..
Hook

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2011 5:24 am    

Let me say first that Bill was a long time friend and we all will miss him. Butch is also a long time friend and I am glad to hear that he is taking the business. Although sad situation Butch will give you the same service and dedication to the product. I know Bill would be happy his business is in Butch's hands and I am glad that Bill's legacy will live on in his
product.
All the best Butch

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2011 2:19 pm    

Most of you know me by face , but many probably don't recognize my name on the forum, but I am Lee Johnson Bill Stroud's buddy, This has been an awful time for me , but I am proud to have been Bill's friend and partner, through the years. I will try to continue to help , in the BJS, work assisting The new owner if I can at the first couple of show's. This new owner is a very wonderful man and I'm sure you will grow to love him as you did Bill, I have also known Butch for a long time and you will see what I mean once you meet him. Hope to see you all at the shows. Your Friend Lee

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2011 5:18 pm    

This is great news that Bill's legacy & love of the steel guitar will live on. Bill was very customer and product orientated and sounds like he left things to the right person to carry on! He'll be smiling down on us all Winking
We all miss Bill and the contributions & efforts he has made to the lovers of steel guitar.
Welcome to the forum Butch!

Bill Stroud

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2011 8:16 pm    

Thanks to all for your support.

Chuck, Good to hear from you.

Lee, See you soon.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2011 1:36 am    

Greetings Butch & welcome to this great forum
Glad to know that you're keepin' BJS goin'
One of the best bars around Mr. Green

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 4:49 am    

Butch and Lee

Thanks to both of you for posting this wonderful information! It really does look as if Bill's legacy will continue! I have been a customer of Bill's for 25+ years and the quality of Bill's products has never faded in all that time (nor did his smile, or so it appeared to me!).

Butch, I wish you well in your new venture and rest assured that all current users of BJS tone-bars will, I'm sure, be fully behind you and continue to spread the gospel to potential new customers.

Kind regards
Gerry Hogan