The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The New MSA Millennium Line; What do you all think?
Paul Fry

Frankfort, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 1:30 pm    

I've been looking at the new MSA Millennium line of guitars. Looks like they're making a comeback. Does anyone own one of these? I know there are several really good brands of PSG out there...but what are the real differences that make a player pick one over another?
Here is the link to the MSA website.

http://www.msapedalsteels.com/html/products.html

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 2:46 pm    

Paul, I guess I'm missing something, those pics have been out there a while. I haven't really seen any updates of recent time. I could have missed something and I stand to be corrected. I was also under the impression that there were a limited number of fiber bodies available. Just what I remember off the top of my head. Again, I stand to be corrected.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 3:15 pm    

I think I read on here that the Millennium was being discontinued due to the cost of the bodies. I'm sure Reece or Kyle could give you an update.

Arch.

Paul Fry

Frankfort, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 3:40 pm    

Umm, OK. I was just going by the website which is still showing the Millennium in their current products being offered.

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 3:47 pm    

No problem Paul, just the site appears not to have been updated in a while, the confusion is understandable. I do think the Legend and Studio Pro models are still available. But like Arch, I think I also read the fiber bodies were being phased out. Reece, any guidance much appreciated.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 4:42 pm    

I'm happy.

Arch.

p.s.
Look at the state of that room!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 6:27 pm    

The American Flag Millennium shown on their custom shop pictures, sits in my music room. They are fantastic guitars.

How about a 'pitcher'.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 28 Jul 2011 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 6:30 pm    

I love the color of yours Arch, if I ever buy another new one, it will be that color.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 6:47 pm    

A super steel without anything wrong on it!
Like a Rolls Royce!

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 4:55 am     Msa

Forumite Steve Alcott has a really nice one for sale.
widcj@hotmail.com

Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 5:06 am     gone by the wayside

according to Johnny Cox The cost of the cabnets has got to the point that there loosing money and, MSA will discontinue the Millemium

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 6:27 am    

I was also told that the cost of the cabs was prohibitive and there would be no more....I like mine!!!!

[/img]

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 8:05 am     Write Reece

If Reece does not post here soon, do write to him and he'll explain about the future of the carbon composite Millenniums. He was forthcoming telling me why the carbon composite bodies have become ultra-expensive and that the wait would likely be three years to obtain one onced ordered.
As for my Millennium (2002 model) , I had it listed for sale this summer. The reason was financial and had nothing to do with the quality of the instrument. It's a superb guitar for many reasons. stevet

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 9:15 pm    

For what it's worth - even though it appears that the Millys are done, for now at least, the Studio Pro I bought in February is AMAZING - as far as I'm concerned, I'm an MSA guy for life (although I might flirt with other guitars, sometimes...)

Here's Reece playing it, when I was down in Texas picking it up:

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 1:35 am    

I have 2. They are magnificent guitars. And it's true that the Millennium has been discontinued due to the increased cost of the material, But MSA sill makes wood guitars with all the same features as the Milly. Interchangeable pickups, adjusting wheels for the pedal height, 4 raise 3 lower changer with tunable splits on every string etc.

The purple one was purchased new (the only brand new steel I ever bought.)

I found the white one on E-bay (I paid half of what it would cost new, and only had to wait a week for it. Please don't hate me. Embarassed)

This is what the white one looked like when I got it.

I like my steels plain and unadorned, but this one was too plain and unadorned, so I decorated it with a pinstripe and a decal of a purple rose.

I recently upgraded both to the newer 24&1/4 inch necks and fretboards.

I no not expect that I will ever need, or buy another steel. I think these 2 will last me for the rest of my life.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 3:53 am    

They are no longer being made... cost of bodies are to hight right now...
{This statement was approved by M.S.A.}.... Shocked
I will say this, there is 3 lbs difference in my S-12 wood and my old Milly...Sound wise, well, I didn't change my hands from Carbon to Wood, .. so, get the same tone .....

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 7:33 am     Re: The New MSA Millennium Line; What do you all think?

Paul Fry wrote:
...what are the real differences ?

MSAs have several unique features including:

Modular pickups. You can change pickups on them instantly and easily. Some people will want have a lot of different pickups and change them for different songs. I tried out a lot of different pickups, and decided I preferred Bob Hoffner's Tone Aligners, and sold the others.

Pedal height adjusting wheels and set screws on the knee levers.
These allow you to adjust the height of the pedals and angle of the knee levers while you're sitting at the guitar, again, easily and instantly. The pedal rods are all the same size and are not numbered. The day my Millennium arrived, it took me less than 5 minutes to set the pedals and knee levers the way I like them.

4 raise, 3 lower changer and tunable splits on every string. More than enough for the most demanding copedant.

3-D fretboards. I didn't expect this to matter, but there is something very satisfying about it. I can't explain what it is, but it's real.

And finally, their weight, The Milly is (was) the lighest steel guitar on the market. I never weighed mine, but I see to recall that the late Al Marcus wrote that his weigh only 19 pounds. (Does anybody else remember that?)

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 8:21 am    

MSA Millenium have only one extra unique feature on top of all:

It stays in tune forever!!!!!!

Very Happy any questions?!!!

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 1:48 pm    

A little birdie told me about a loaded-up black D-10 that might be coming up for sale soon. If you're interested, let me know and I can get you the details.

Paul Fry

Frankfort, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 11:48 am    

Wow, some absolutely beautiful guitars on this thread! I'm having some feelings of extreme envy right now I've been playin my MSA Classic S12 since 1981. I've become a little bored with my current copedent on it tho. For the short term, I think I'll add a verticle knee & change the copedent to an extended E9. Arch, I love the color of your guitar!

Paul Fry

Frankfort, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 11:51 am    

Andy, if they stay in tune forever, that must mean ONE set of strings will last forever too...right? You have a special PSG thats probably worth alot of $$!! Smile

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 8:36 am    

So from what I've read here the cost of Carbon MSA Millennium bodies was cost prohibitive!! I wonder if that still holes true today?

I do Know that The new Sierra steel have carbon fiber legs an pedal board.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 5:24 pm    

Johnie, as it was explained to me, it was not so much the cost per body, but that there was a very large minimum order required (they were made by a shop that specializes in carbon laminate construction). This meant it would be a very long time until MSA recouped the cost of the order - not a good position for a small business with slim margins to begin with.

Carbon-fiber legs can probably be made from stock carbon tubes, available off-the shelf. I don't know about the pedal board - maybe also?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 6:41 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
So from what I've read here the cost of Carbon MSA Millennium bodies was cost prohibitive!! I wonder if that still holes true today?

Reece once told me the bodies cost them over $1,000 each. They would be cheaper today, but not a lot...unless the volume was fairly high. (Sadly, there are no more high-volume builders.)

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 7:46 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Johnie King wrote:

Reece once told me the bodies cost them over $1,000 each. They would be cheaper today, but not a lot...unless the volume was fairly high. (Sadly, there are no more high-volume builders.)

A wood Lacquer Body cost almost that much in those years.
Plus you just had to mess up the lacquer during assembly and rodding... $$$.

I felt that at the time there was a reticence in the customer base.
Competing builders suggested that "it ain't wood" and I believe that had a negative effect to. Additionally, the new MSA's were EXPENSIVE in those year... they still are up there today... but money has become worth much less than it used to.

I touched a burgundy-metallic S12 at Maurice's home briefly.. I believe in Feb. 2007. It was impressive sounding.

... J-D.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.