The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CB Workin’ - Roadtrippin’ 2 new songs
Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 5:25 am    

Here’s one from the new Golden Bear album. My first attempt at both recording pedal steel and home recording. I’m a relatively new player and the learning curve was steep for me.

These guys are based in Central TX and I’m about 4 hours away in NE Texas. It was a long distance affair with everybody laying down their tracks from their own homes.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms all welcome. I’m trying to learn this thing and would welcome any input.
Thanks,
Scott

https://www.facebook.com/GoldenBearATX/videos/350760549638360/?vh=e&extid=npOamhQbaUK9eWCA

Last edited by Scott Akers on 16 Sep 2020 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 6:04 am    

Scott, I thought you did fine on this. The mix isn't the best but the steel sounds good and in the right places. Good work.

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 7:39 am    

Thanks Larry. I’ve seen lots of SGF posts regarding not playing over the vocalist. I really had to think about it and play accordingly. The 6 string player in me wants to play everywhere.

Thankfully there was no time pressure. Chris from Golden Bear would send me a demo mp3 with drums, bass, vocals and rhythm guitar with the instructions to add some steel. I’d record and send a steel track back to him and he’d use whatever he felt worked for the song.

I had zero home recording experience and the first track (Port Aransas) was done with garage band on my iMac. Someone on the forum posted a link to a 60 or 90 day Logic ProX free trial. I jumped on that and ultimately purchased it. Ha, still so much to learn. Almost overwhelming.......but worth every minute of effort.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2020 12:40 pm    

Scott, yes learning to record at home and playing at the same time is a task. Hard to concentrate on both at once. You did really well with that approach.

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2020 3:43 pm    

Ok. I promise this is the last one I’ll post from this record. I know my playing is rudimentary at best on any of these tunes but I sure had fun taking part in this project. All songs on the album have pedal steel except for this track where I got to play some resonator and a little bit of telecaster.

https://youtu.be/ou6C6rY9yfQ

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 3:00 pm    

Sometimes simple is better: love what you played here!

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 5:34 pm    

Thanks Dan!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 5:48 pm    

Good job on this. I know its not as easy as people assume it is. There's a lot involved in doing a project like this. I think you did very well.

RC

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 6:26 pm    

Thanks Rick. Staying focused and trying to create sounds that would augment each song was the hardest part. There are so many things you want to play. Now that it’s done, there are of course, things I’d like to clean up or rerecord but I realize it’s a snapshot of where I was in my ability and experience at the time. Time to let it be and move on.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 6:46 pm    

Scott Akers wrote:
Thanks Rick. Staying focused and trying to create sounds that would augment each song was the hardest part. There are so many things you want to play. Now that it’s done, there are of course, things I’d like to clean up or rerecord but I realize it’s a snapshot of where I was in my ability and experience at the time. Time to let it be and move on.

I understand completely. My biggest problem is I don't know when to stop. I always think I can do better and it goes on and on. In pro studios they tell me when they are satisfied and and you move on.