The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please tell me about the Williams steel guitar . . .
William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 4:16 pm    

Hello all,

Who is playing the new Series 700 Williams pedal steel? It looks great from the web point of view, but I do not know much about it. Is it most often seen on the road or in sessions? Mechanically, it looks well designed and has a clean layout, lots of PU choices, many standard mica or lacquer finishes, and ATA road case included.

Looking forward to learnbing more about the Williams 700 PSG.

Thanks,

Sho Bud Student / Emmons DB E9
Sierra DB E9 / ZUM DB E9 / Derby DB E9 Marlen E9 / BMI E9

Mosrite Ventures '69 / Gibson Cherry ES345 / Custom 'Billie-Tele' Telecaster / Gibson '78 J45 / Custom 'P-Strat' Squire Stratocaster / Epi Parlor

Fender '69 Deluxe Reverb / Peavey NV400 + Peavey TubeFex + Goodrich 7A MatchBox & Pedal

Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 5:21 pm     Williams guitars

This not exactly what you asked for because I have never played a 700 but I did have a S-10 600 for a bit over a year. I have owned 7 pedal steel guitars over the years I have had Mullens, Sho-Bud Msa Gfi in fact I have owned 3 Mullen guitars and Im sure their are several I cant remember, anyway my william was my favorite of all, in fact I just bought a D-10 Williams yesterday!! The 600 and 700 share the same changer and they are awesome! I played mine every day for over a year and never broke a string and seldome need to be tuned, The cabinet work on the Williams is really superb!! Inmho Williams is one of the best guitars made today, just cant get any better!!! Hope this is of some help

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 5:49 pm    

Williams guitars are very fine instruments. The mechanical and cabinet work are both excellent, and they play well and sound good. I have a beautiful Williams 600 series single ten and I am very pleased with it.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 7:41 pm    

Can you Williams owners describe the tone for me, at least relative to other guitars you've owned? Thanks.

Last edited by Mark van Allen on 13 Jul 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 8:08 pm    

I have a 600 and a 700. To my ear they have the fat woody quality of a Sho Bud but with present upper treble sparkle. Also excellent sustain above the 12th fret.

The mechanics are excellent, solid stops and stays in tune. No raise assist springs, so cannot be adjusted for soft hair trigger action if you are into that.

As always you have to judge for yourself, Bill Rudolph will have steels to play athe ISGC in St. Louis.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 10:25 pm    

Mark van Allen wrote:
Can you Williams owners describe the tone for me, at least relative to other guitars you've owned? Thanks.

Listen to BJ Cole for lots of good examples. I played Williams guitars for 8 years and was always able to get any tone I needed from them. Very versatile instruments, loads of sustain.

Here's an example where I played the C6th neck of my Williams D-12 and Dave Zirbel played the E9th neck of his ZB Custom D-10. We both used the same amp - a Tom Bradshaw Webb 6-14E. I play the head, then we go back and forth.

http://soundhost.net/b0b/aPerfectLife-mixed.mp3

Dave's also playing rhythm guitar, and I played the bass and percussion.

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 5:46 am     Williams 700 PU options?

Over the years I have always favored the single coil sound of the True Tone PU, but Williams also offers many other PU choices. What about the AlumiTone PU? How close to a single coil sound is it? Without the use of extra volume, humbuckers can often get lost on stage. I have used a G&L E66, a True Tone and a (Zum) dual coil w/ split tap PUs in the past.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Mosrite Ventures '69 / Gibson Cherry ES345 / Custom 'Billie-Tele' Telecaster / Gibson '78 J45 / Custom 'P-Strat' Squire Stratocaster / Epi Parlor

Fender '69 Deluxe Reverb / Peavey NV400 + Peavey TubeFex + Goodrich 7A MatchBox & Pedal

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 7:12 am     Re: Williams 700 PU options?

William Johnson wrote:
Over the years I have always favored the single coil sound of the True Tone PU, but Williams also offers many other PU choices.

The pickup in the sound clip I posted was George L's 12-1. It's sort of dark and heavy sounding, as was my preference for the back neck at the time.

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 7:20 am    

bOb,

That PU I think works well on that neck. Sounds excellent. Were y'all both running into the same amp channel w/ same EQ, etc? If so, there is a huge difference in the two PU's tone.

billy

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 7:24 am    

bOb,

Where can I listen to some of BJ Cole's work using his Williams guitar?

What are the main differences between the Williams 600 and the 700?

Thanks,

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 7:38 am    

http://www.bjcole.co.uk/

Why don't you shoot Bill or Tim an email? I've always gotten a fairly quick response with any questions concerning their guitars.

http://www.williamsguitarcompany.com/contact_us.html

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 9:43 am     "A Perfect Life"

William Johnson wrote:
bOb,

That PU I think works well on that neck. Sounds excellent. Were y'all both running into the same amp channel w/ same EQ, etc? If so, there is a huge difference in the two PU's tone.

The Webb is a single channel amp. We recorded separately, and we each set the EQ to our own preference. The rhythm guitar (a Fender Strat, I think) is also running though the Webb. The Variax bass and HandSonic conga were line direct. I wrote the song.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 9:59 am    

yeah..that was nice!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 10:36 am    

http://www.williamsguitarcompany.com/media.html This media page has links to Williams guitars being played. I only glanced briefly, but there are 3 or 4 there on the youtube link.

I'm only familiar with the 400 series, but it is a great little guitar with some nice appointments and features.

Tonewise, I'd say mellow with it's own sonic characteristics.

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 11:46 am    

I guess I would say that I prefer more of a L. Green single coil tone. If I described my playing style, I am into more of the Nashville fill-type licks of L. Green and B. Emmons heyday. I assume most of those sounds were from single coil PUs. I always heard that L. Green always played E9 Sho Buds.

What is important to me in a PSG is a tone that cuts through live mixes, and easy reach of all the pedals/levers as my leg/ankle flexibility is limited.

billy

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 11:56 am    

If you have "Direct TV" or know someone that does, there are two shows on Saturday night that feature classic Country music. One is "Presley's Country Jubilee" and the other is "Midwest Country". The steel players in both house bands play Williams guitars and both have excellent tone.

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 11:59 am    

I'll check the shows out and look for the PSG payers. I get Dish, so I would think they offer them also.

Thanks,
billy

Matthew Keon

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 12:18 pm    

For my 40th Birthday I had the choice to get any Steel Guitar I wanted.. I chose a Williams for a few reasons..

I really liked the design of the changer - it just made sense.
Short delivery time.
Customer support.
Their finish and inlay work.

My 1st Willy is an SD-10 with a Quilted Maple body and neck. The most gorgeous flame you've ever seen. Abalone inlay that is stunning.. Lawrence 705. Tone to die for.. It's photo #1 in the Williams gallery,

For my 41st Birthday I got my 2nd Williams..

Wide body S-10 with a 1/2 pad. Curly Maple body with an Aluminum neck.. Dual pearl inlay. And Wallace Tru-tone pickup. Classic tone - that cuts through like a razor. It's #54 in the Williams Gallery.

I'd buy a 3rd if I could afford it.. Bill made my every dream a reality. My guitars are exactly as I visioned them and play better then I could have ever expected them to.

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 9:20 pm    

I own/play two Williams guitars, an S-10 and and an S-12 Uni. The 10 has an original BL 705 and the 12 has an Alumatone. The 705 can be a bit edgier, but the Alumatone cuts really well too. I can get pretty much any sound that I want from the Williams guitars, live or in the studio, plus they are compact and lightweight for fly gigs. Bill is great to deal with and builds a beautiful axe.

Last edited by mike nolan on 12 Jul 2011 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2011 4:39 am    

Just a couple of additions to my previous post. I neglected to include the fact that the shows that I mentioned are on the "RFD Network". Also, the "Midwest Country" show will air segments that are reruns from time to time, if so, you may notice the steel player playing a Zum or Fessenden guitar. The newer shows feature him playing his blue lacquer Williams.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2011 2:40 pm    

Uncle b0b,

...that was stupendous!!!

I try not to pigeon-hole music, but that effort on your behalf, sounded like somewhere between Hawaii and Europa.

Bravo! Great effort. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2011 7:53 am    

While I don't own a 700 series I have owned a Williams 400 series guitar since 2006 and I recorded this tune a few years ago using Jeff Newman's CD.

Bill's work is at the top in my opinion.

http://soundcloud.com/dick-wood/01-track-1

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2011 10:13 am    

Billy,

I own a series 700 and it is truly a wonderful modern PSG. I have owned and played Sho-Bud, Sierra, Emmons p/p and others.

I would say that the Williams has an aggressive sound by comparison to the above mentioned axes. Mine is loaded with the Alumitone and it has really good string separation and no dead spots.

The fit and finish is superior and Bill Rudolph's attention to detail is second to none.

Just my 2 cents.

KE
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2011 3:48 pm    

Dick,

Great job and sound. The Alumitone does have somewhat of a single coil tone. String separation & clarity is as advertised too. Nice.

billy

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2011 1:17 pm    

Bill lives just up the road from me and is making me a custom D - 8 non pedal steel with wood necks instead of aluminum. He personally favors the Bill Lawrence 705 reissue blade pickups and that is what I am going with.. and with the wood necks it should be a great sound through the tube amps I use..

Additionally, the dual blades can be coil tapped to give more of a single coil sound if you want.

I will say his shop has very modern equipment, the detail work is amazing, he purchases his wood in small hand selected bundles, is extremely responsive and a great guy to talk communicate with.

After the nonpedal guitar, he swears he is going to get me under his universal 12 and convert me.. I think he might succeed!