The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good tab writing software?
Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 12:20 pm    

Can anyone recommend easy to learn tab writing software? For many years I used Guitar Pro but then due to a computer crash I was forced to purchase an upgrade to Version 6 which is virtually impossible to use. I converted files to TablEdit but can't seem to install the help files. There appears to be no tech support for either Guitar pro or TablEdit. For now I'm back to using paper and pencil. At least a pencil will follow my instructions. I have several students and can't wait 6 months to learn new software with a high learning curve and so-called features that I'll never use.

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 2:12 pm    

I have been using Guitar Pro since it's version 2.
Lately I have been a beta tester for version 6 and I have tried to convince them to allow having a 10 strings score too, like in version 5. No result! 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 12 strings options only...Sad

With people at Arobas Music we have been talking about introducing in next version some features for making pedal steel guitar tabs too. I bothered them a lot about this... They seem to be interested, we'll see.

For now, I think that Guitar Pro is by far the best guitar tab software around: user friendly, quite complete and with great quality prints...

Which problems have you with version 6?
If you purchased Guitar Pro and you are a registered user on the website, you may find a support forum and a not too quick but good customer help service.

About pedal steel guitar, I haven't ever found a really good tab software. TablEdit? ClickTab? uhm...

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 1:01 am    

TablEdit has most of it's support in an Yahoo group

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TablEdit/

You need to be a member to ask questions!

You can also mail Matthieu or Keith directly (they both speak English very well!)

Their contact addresses you will find here:
http://www.tabledit.com/contact/index.shtml

// Anders

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 5:38 am     Guitar Pro and TablEdit problems

When I purchased the original Guitar Pro the deal was that any upgrade would be 50% off but when I upgraded to version 6, they gave only 1/3 off. The problem with version 6 is that I can't use a custom tuning, it keeps going back to guitar tuning. OK, I can write the tab and print it but it plays back as gibberish because the strings aren't the pitch that I entered. I sure wish someone made version 5. Regarding TablEdit, it has a high learning curve and will take a lot of time to learn. I downloaded the zipped help files. The problem is, where do the files go when unzipped? I could do a search on the hard drive if I knew the names of the unzipped files. I emailed Keith 6 months ago, no answer. Without the help files, learning the software is a matter of trial and error. The problem I've run into now is that it won't let me designate the timing of the notes. If I download a tab and then try to edit it, a 1/8 note can't be changed to 1/4 even if I delete an 1/8 note next to it. TablEdit seems to have Bill Gates in control and "knows" better than I do what I want to write.

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 6:19 am    

In GP6, when using a custom tuning (both in a new score or after editing the tuning in a pre-written track) you have to confirm the new settings with the "Apply" check under the headstock shape. Two options there: apply or apply & trasnpose.
After doing that, when saving the score you will save the tuning too.
Never had a problem with this...

Eventually, try checking for updates in the Help menu.

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 2:51 pm     Guitar pro settings

Maybe I'm blind but I can't find any button or wording on the screen that says "Apply". however, I have had some success in solving a few problems with TablEdit today, finally able to access the help files. I'll keep banging away at both software packages and see if I can get one to work enough to write some simple tabs. I've also found some of the crashed files from Guitar Pro version 5. For me that was the best tab software that ever existed. If I can get that running again, it'll solve everything. I wonder if someone on ebay might still have version 5.

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 3:11 pm    

That's what I was talking about:

These options appear ONLY after you edit the current or standard tuning, otherwise they have no sense so they aren't shown...

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 8:23 pm     Custom Tuning

OK, thanks, I'll do some experimenting and see if I can get the apply wording to show. So far no luck but I have a couple of hours to do some experimenting tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll need to click on edit or something like that to get it to show. Simply changing the notes on the headstock keys doesn't make it show. Meanwhile I was finally able to install the Tabledit help files. By default the program and the help files install to different folders and they need to be in the same folder to work. I haven't decided which, if either, program I'll end up using. I guess whichever one I can get to work first.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 10:31 pm    

To be clear, this thread is about writing tab for nonpedal steel guitar, correct? I mean, as I recall, TablEdit does allow for pedal changes, and I presume anything written for guitar (e.g., GuitarPro) has only fixed tuning, without capabilities for pedals or KLs. So, when discussing a "10-string tuning", you presumably mean a 10-string nonpedal tuning, right?

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2011 7:09 am    

sadly right...
let's hope for a next future Smile

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2011 8:07 am     non pedal tab

Yes, my interest is in tab for non-pedal steel, although like many other musicians and teachers, I use tab writing software for several instruments. In my case, 6 and 8 string non-pedal, 5-string banjo and guitar. A little off topic but some GP6 users say GP6 won't accurately play the 5th string banjo sounds. I've imported GP5 files and it plays them ok but I haven't written anything in GP6 yet.

Frederick Krubel

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 10:43 am    

Soundslice now offers four 8 string tunings for non pedal steel guitar. It's a web based free app that syncs sheet music with video. You can import Guitar Pro up to version 6 or Music XML. It's a dead end if you want pedals/levers with a copendent. The standard E9 and C6 necks are unfortunately not offered yet in a S10 configuration. Here's what Soundslice offers for FREE:

8 strings | C6 (G A C E G A C E)
8 strings | A6 (F# A C# E F# A C# E)
8 strings | C6|A7 "Joaquin Murphey" (B A C# E G A C E)
8 strings | E13 "Jules Ah See" (E G# B D F# G# C# E)