The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Custom Built Bass Guitar Like U-Bass *new price*
Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2011 5:09 pm    

I know this is a steel guitar forum but there must be a bass player or two around here. This is a one of a kind, prototype custom bass built by me. It is my version of the extremely popular U-Bass built by Kala.

The U-Bass is a not a toy. It is tuned like a standard bass and has as close to the tone of an upright bass as is possible. The strings are made of polyurethane. The solid body gives a little more punch and sustain than the acoustic version which is built on a baritone ukulele body. Kala has recently released their own solid body version with a street price of $1000. The instrument is so unique that it would take forever to describe it so I have no problem answering any questions. There are no templates or patterns available for this so it was all done by hand. Here are a few details of this instrument.

Chambered and carved top Sapele (mahogany) PRS style body
Neck woods ebony, flame maple, and sapele
20" scale
Rosewood fretboard and bridge
Black binding
Fretless with inlaid maple fret lines and pearl dots
Custom Hipshot tuners
Shadow compensated bass pickup
Corian nut
Switchcraft output jack
Hand rubbed oil finsh

It fits perfectly in the included baritone ukulele gig bag. This bass sounds HUGE and would be great for recording if you don't have access to a double bass. There is a lot of information out there on the U-bass including many great (and some not so great) videos on youtube. Thanks for looking and I welcome any comments or questions. $550.00 shipped.

Last edited by Harry Sheppard on 22 Jun 2011 4:56 am; edited 4 times in total

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2011 5:52 pm    

I'd jump on this myself if I didn't already own a U-Bass. I love the body shape, and I know that Harry's workmanship is second to none. If you're not familiar with the U-Bass, I did a short review / demo a couple of years ago when they first came out. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPx6RS8PiM

This little bass has become my favorite bass for gigging, jam sessions, anything. It sounds more like an upright bass than anything I have ever played that wasn't an actual string bass. I do play upright, too, but this thing sounds so cool and is so easy to carry around. Someone will get a great and unique instrument here.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2011 8:57 am    

That is a beautiful instrument. Will you be making any fretted versions?

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2011 1:31 pm    

Jerry,

Thanks for the comments. Your video is why I bought my first U-Bass. I have always liked the PRS style body and really just wanted to see if it would work. I think Kala missed the mark on their solid body U-Bass. It's kind of ugly and reminds me of a Guitar Hero guitar but they still seem to be popular.

Ron,

I played a fretted U-Bass and thought it lost a lot of the upright bass tone and feel. It just wasn't as much fun to play. I was concerned about being able to play in tune with such a short scale before I bought my first one but it is very easy and feels great.

To answer a few emails, I do not plan on taking orders for these. I am just building them for myself because I do not like what is available. This was a prototype. Now that I have my design down, I want to build another one with the "fancy" woods so this one needs to go.

Harry

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 5:02 am    

After looking at what Ebay is charging these days I decided to just lower the price here. I am not sure what it is really worth but this is half what Kala is charging and I think this is a far superior instrument. $550 shipped with the case.

Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2011 7:49 am    

Harry,
I am very interested. Contact me with your contact info and we'll chat. This 20" scale could work out perfect for me since I ended up in a wheelchair after a motorcycle accident with a spinal cord injury. A normal long scale bass is just too heavy and too long for me now. I need light and short.

I am sending you a pm.

Sincerely,
Kurt Kowalski

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2011 9:36 am    

Kurt,

PM sent. What a perfect use for this instrument. I would have never thought about that.

Harry