The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Daniel Lanois' book "Soul Mining"
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 3:42 pm    

I just saw him perform a few months ago with the electronic musician Venetian Snares and it was pretty cool.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 6:00 pm    

Daniel Lanois, Greg Leisz, Susan Alcorn & Bruce Kaphan; outstanding "texturalists". I include Bill Frisell in this crew, although he plays guitar but often collaborates with Greg Leisz.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 7:24 am    

I had the pleasure of being recorded by Bob a couple times, Willie P. Bennett's Blackie & the Rodeo King album and Ken Whitely's Up Above My Head gospel treasure. Ken and his brother Cris were instrumental ( no pun intended ) in bringing me into the fold back in the day and I would continue to work for them in live and recording scenarios my entire Canadian career and wound up being a long time alumni of Willie's as well. Bob actually hired me for a couple side projects he was producing but sadly to say I got red light fever & choked. Never saw him again as he moved shortly after to New Orleans but despite my momentary setbacks those recordings live on and I learned about humility and kept pushing forward. It's no surprise to me Bob takes pedal steel down different avenues, he's been doing the same thing for recoding since Grant Avenue.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 7:38 am    

Mike Holder wrote:
I had the pleasure of being recorded by Bob a couple times

What did I miss? Who is Bob?

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 7:47 am    

Sorry about that, I meant Daniel and must've gotten red light fever again!! LOL ! Bob ended up taking over Grant Avenue after the Lanois brothers vacated but this post does relate to Dan Lanois.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 1:19 pm    

Hawaiian guitar. I just thought I'd chime in that the man I bought my first pedal steel guitar from got his start selling Hawaiian guitars (and lessons, and I think an orchestra to join) door-to-door in the 1930s. It was quite a thing back then.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver