The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho bud Pro copedent advice
Erik Sears

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2024 7:01 am    

I am a proud new owner of a 1971 Shobud pro s/n 1608. It is in bad disrepair with water damage from the previous owner but I’m bringing it back to life. It is a 4 x 3, which is completely foreign to me. The previous owner had everything way out of whack and the set up made no sense to me. I have a Simmons 3 x 4, so I’ve started setting the Shobud up similarly but I’m not sure what to do with the fourth pedal. On top of that, the Shobud has no left knee right lever. On the Simmons I use the B pedal and LKR to get the fifth seven cord of the key I’m playing in. As II’m noodling around on the Shobud, while I’m getting it set up, I find myself reaching for the LKR lever quite a bit. I’ll have to work through how to remedy that. In the meantime, could someone please send me any suggestions for a copedent on 4x3? I can’t seem to find anything. Thx

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2024 11:24 am    

The Sho-bud standard was r/k/l where Emmons had that change on l/k/r. This is the one you spoke of. It lowers 4&8 1/2 step; good for the 5 seventh, the 3 minor and the1 Major7. RP

Will Flagg

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 2:53 pm    

Sounds like a fun project! I think you'd probably want the E lowers on on one of your right knee levers. I'd bet most 3 lever setups would be something like:
LKL: raise E's to F
RKL: lower E's to D#
RKR: lower 2 to D at least, and probably down to C# (halfstop at D), along with lowering 9 to C# (this string can act as a feel stop for the D on string 2).

What you put on the fourth pedal is up to you. The Franklin pedal or the Tommy White pedal could be considered.

I'd probably get some parts from psgparts.com and put a 4th lever on it, and set them up like the simmons.