The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a PodXT into input 2 of a Nashville 400
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2011 9:28 pm    

Had an idea the other day and tried it out. I usually run my steel->VP->PodXT->Nashville 400. When I've tried plugging straight into the 400, I find I like the tone but not the reverb. The PodXT has great reverbs and delays, but it somehow makes the tone feel/sound "less than" going straight in. The 400 doesn't have an effects loop, but I figured I could accomplish the same idea by doing this:

steel->1st output of VP->Nashville 400 input 1
steel->2nd output of VP->PodXT->Nashville 400 input 2

I set the PodXT to bypass amp models and just use reverb and delay. I set the delay mix to about 35% and turned the reverb mix control all the way up. Then I just used the output volume control on the pod to dial in the amount of reverb/delay I wanted to hear. Worked like a charm! I got the nice, present tone of the Nashville and the reverb and delay I like from the pod. Has anyone else tried this? Any drawbacks you can think of? I thought phase might be an issue, as there is probably some latency in the pod since it is using DSP to generate the sounds. But in this case it doesn't seem to be an issue; at least, it didn't sound 'phasey' to me.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 4 May 2011 12:03 am    

Doesn't a Nashville 400 have preamp send/ power in jacks? If so, isn't that all an fx loop is?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 May 2011 2:22 am    

I use my POD XT for effects only. I run from guitar to Hilton VP to POD XT (left out) to input on amp. I use the "Output" control on the POD XT as a remote level control. I don't hear any difference in tone between going straight and through the POD XT.

Have you tried both Left and Right outputs from the POD XT to both inputs on the amp?

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 4 May 2011 10:03 am     Pod

Hi Bryan,
I use the POD XT in the effects loop with great results. I typically turn off the "amp" and just it for effects only - but will occasionally use the "amp" to quickly boost up a particular frequency. It has great Reverbs etc.

Jim

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2011 1:36 pm    

Brett,
You're right, but that would route the steel through the Pod converters and back into the amp, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I guess a better way to say it is that I'm using the first input for the dry steel and the second input as an effects aux return, with the output level knob on the Pod serving as the effects level control.

Jack, that's typically how I've run it in the past, but to me this new setup somehow feels & sounds different, and better. What would the advantage be of running a stereo output into a mono amp?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 May 2011 1:51 pm    

You won't get stereo running both into one amp, but you will get both channels, depending on how you have the "Tone" setup. I haven't tried it but I've seen several people that have "stereo" devices that are doing that.

I don't notice any change in tone running through my POD XT and now a POD X3, other than the obvious addition of effects. I've used it with a Nashville 112 amp and now with an MB200 amp and either a 15" Eminence or SICA speaker. My wife is now using the POD XT with her GFI S-10 and a Goodrich 120 (pot) volume pedal into a solid state Fender amp and there isn't any difference that I can hear.

Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 May 2011 3:01 pm     Re: Using a PodXT into input 2 of a Nashville 400

Bryan Daste wrote:
...I thought phase might be an issue, as there is probably some latency in the pod since it is using DSP to generate the sounds. But in this case it doesn't seem to be an issue; at least, it didn't sound 'phasey' to me.

You're adding delay to the signal anyway, so I wouldn't think latency would be an issue. IIRC the podxt has a latency around 8ms, or 9 feet.