The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Epiphone EZ Bender.....ever seen one?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2011 7:55 am    

Here's a few shots of a string bending device called the "EZ Bender" which was marketed for a short while by Epiphone. It really wasn't on the market for very long but was a pretty cool idea. It was made for 335, SG, Les Paul, or most stud tailpiece electric guitars.

All you had to do was remove your B string (or any other you preferred) and slip it over the tailpiece and tighten down the Allen screws on each side which went into the hole where the string was. The Allen screws were hollow so the string could pass through them after being hooked at the rear of the bender.

Then you'd just put a string back on, tune 'er up, and you were ready for some bending. I have two of these devices at the moment but only have one installed on an old Memphis Les Paul copy that I'm using like a slide guitar or lapsteel. It bends the 2nd sting B to C# out of an open E tuning.

My other one I had on a Les Paul in standard guitar tuning for the B string but I got a McEwan bender installed on it a couple of years ago so it's in a drawer. The bender operates like a "palm pedal" in that you push it down to raise the pitch of the string(s)...

You can find these from time to time on Ebay or Craig's List. I bought the last one I have for only $12 plus shipping........Here's some shot(s) of it....JH in Va.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2011 7:54 pm    

Richard Bowden who used to play guitar for Linda Ronstadt used to build those benders,I got in touch with him last year to buy one and he doesn't build them anymore but he did mention that Epiphone built them for a while.They worked great...Wish I had one!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 3:31 am    

I Imagine they work,just not something I would put on a 3500.00 buck guitar.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 1:53 pm    

Here's a link to some more info and good line drawing if you want to try your hand at building one:

http://www.acousticmasters.com/AcousticMasters_EZBender.htm

Enjoy.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 3:47 pm    

Mike,That is the one that my friend Richard Bowden designed,He used to build them in L.A for friends for $35.00 I shoulda got one then.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2011 12:41 pm    

these are cool...i can see someone developing this idea into one that attaches to the tail piece of a dobro. just send my cut to me for the idea. thank you.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2011 6:19 pm    

Richard Bowden was half of the "Pinkard & Bowden" duo that used to be on TNN a lot. When he played with that group he used an acoustic dreadnought on which he has a B-Bender attached to the top some way which operated just like this one. I don't know if those were ever marketed. Anyone ever seen one of them?........JH in Va.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 10:15 am    

Jerry,

I've never seen one for acoustic guitars, but here's a recording of one.
It's played by Richard Starkey on a collaboration CD with Mark Cosgrove called 'Delaware Crossing'.
Richard Starkey is a big-deal with Martin Guitars and tours the country putting on workshops and showing what Martin guitars are all about.

The song is "Just a Season" by Roger Mcguinn off the Byrd's 'Untitled' album; which features Clarence White employing his bender, also, although a bit sparsely.

An obscure song, but Starkey may have picked-to-do-it so as to make use of the string-bender. It's a Parson's/Green Acoustic String Bender.

Both versions are below, along with a pic of DC.

Just A Season (Delaware Crossing) http://picosong.com/jEk

Just A Season (Byrds) http://picosong.com/jE4

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 10:29 am    

Chris,Richard used to make a little one for a telecaster,It had a little piece of felt on it so it wouldn't scratch the guitar. Winking

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 10:30 am    

Chris,Richard used to make a little one for a telecaster,It had a little piece of felt on it so it wouldn't scratch the guitar. Winking

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 10:34 am    

This is Richards current band,maybe if enough people write to him he'll make them again??He's a great guy!
http://www.moonandthestarz.com/
Winking

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 2:04 pm    

Nice looking EPI Jerry..

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 May 2011 3:50 pm    

Thanks Joe, here's a few more....JH in Va.