The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss GT-3
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 12:33 am    

Does anybody here use a Boss GT-3 for pedal steel? I recently have seen one of these in action and it's a fairly amazing old pedal board and seems like it would be good to use instead of hand made pedal boards or the smaller things that don't have much to offer.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 4:08 am    

Been using my GT-5 non-stop for everything since I bought it in 1998 or thereabouts! Could never hack a bunch of separate pedals... Smile

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 12:15 pm    

Hi Frank, how's it going? I've used many of the Boss GT series effects but not the GT-3 but that whole line is still going strong and I've never heard anything bad about any of them. Basically from what I've read and heard all of them are basically a bunch of Boss pedals built inside one case.

The higher you go up the numbers the more bells and whistles they add I've had the 8 and 10 and really enjoyed them a lot. I only sold them to buy other things that I needed worse. Since I'm not gigging out much I sold and traded most of my live effects and now have a Line6 Pod XT Live to go along with my Variax guitar.

My opinion is that the GT-3 will sound great and will probably be very inexpensive but if you could afford it I would go up a couple more numbers like the GT-6 or even GT-8 they can be had pretty inexpensive on ebay as well. But once again any of those models will sound great! Check out this demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srzSs9G7Q14 don't pay any attention to all of the rock stuff if you watch long enough they play some Fender twin sounds and that page is full of pro demos and home made demos.

Big Bob

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 6:08 pm    

I'm still using a GT3 that I bought when my old ME5 started having problems. Don't remember how many years ago that was, but the GT3 was new technology at the time. It's been through countless 6-sting gigs with no problems. I have only recently started trying to consolidate my 6 string and PSG gear, so don't have a lot of PSG experience with it yet. One thing that is VERY useful is an external expression pedal. I used my old one from the ME5 and it makes a good active optical volume pedal that fits under the PSG nicely. I've got an old PC program that's pretty handy for editing/downloading/uploading GT3 patches that I can send to you if you decide to get one. It uses the MIDI ports on the GT3, so you'd need a PC MIDI interface. It makes it very easy to edit settings real time using a mouse.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 6:37 pm    

Hey Frank
I've been using a GT-6 for more than 10 years and also have a GT-8. It will give you all the reverb, delay, chorus, and overdrive you can handle with the push of a button. The GT-3 has been out of production for more than a decade but if it's in good shape should provide good results. The GT-10 is the current product in this line.

My only beef with the GT-6 and -8 is that they use a dozen or so controls (like a pot) that sense a change and update the LCD screen. When they start to misfire the display goes nuts and replacing them is expensive. They fixed that in the -10. I know nothing about the -3 except by reputation. These are the top of the line Boss multi-fx units and they are as solid as the RV-3 and other great Boss products we steel players depend upon. Like Big Bob said, it's just a collection of stompboxes, with amp/preamp/speaker modeling.

You should be able to get one pretty cheap used.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2011 12:02 am    

Frank,
Good little solid box. My prob, now that I play a lot more steel, was where to to situate the thing. I sold mine about 6 months ago for $125. I now see them for as little as $60.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2011 2:27 am    

I played a gig with a great guitar player, (Rob Riley from Ricky Van Sheltons old band) and he used that thing to death and just had everything over there. I play with everybody and all style so I need some effects. I'm going to try one of these and it should condense it down for me.

Edward Byrne

Foxford, County Mayo, Ireland
Post  Posted 21 May 2011 3:43 pm    

have owned and used boss gt 3 from new since around 96/97, still going strong, superb reverbs and delays, upgraded a few months ago to gt 10, absolutely superb bit of kit, mine is mounted on a stand for easy access whilst playing steel, tuner, reverb, delay all at the touch of a button, added Boss AB/Y box, for switching between lead and steel,

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 22 May 2011 4:08 am    

Hey Edward...

Don't you have trouble getting your foot up on that pedal???? Rolling Eyes

Edward Byrne

Foxford, County Mayo, Ireland
Post  Posted 22 May 2011 11:58 am    

Ha Ha, yeah that is the only drawback, no foot pedal, but everything, including master volume is at hand for the steelie, i particulary like the reverbs in the gt range, not being a fan of built in amp reverbs, especially on peavey amps, and a wonderful patch display, with great pre amp selection, yeah, you guessed it, im a fan