The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Loessberg And Ray Price
BOBBY JACKS

Fort Madison, Iowa
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 10:16 pm    

Just Got Back From A Great Ray Price Show In Boonville,Mo And Jim Loessberg Playing's was Superb, Got to talk to Jim great Guy and Great Show.Jim, Jerry Virden Lead Singer From Lonesome Fugitive and me

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 10:33 pm    

Jim is an awesome player. Very Happy
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 12:56 pm    

He's on several of the Bobby Flores CDs I have. I've learned to recognize his pickin' on the radio.

Gotta love it!

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 2:12 pm     Jim's tone

Whenever anyone ask me what a push/pull should sound like, I pull out and play any of my Jim Loessberg CDs and that pretty much answers any/all questions.
BTW I believe he goes guitar - volume pedal - amp..

Mike

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 2:37 pm    

Bobby, it was great meeting and talking to you and Kathy. And yes, it was a GREAT show. All the players was superb. I especially enjoyed Jim, and I appreciate Him taking the time to talk to me after the show. Larry Baker

BOBBY JACKS

Fort Madison, Iowa
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 7:10 pm    

Same here Larry tell Jean hello also. Had a Great Time Talking to you guys and everyone there. BJ

Jerry Virden

Des Moines, Iowa. USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2011 9:23 pm    

It was my first time seeing Ray Price what can I say but ....WOW !! It was a pleasure to meet Jim, I got a chance to visit with him before and after the show. Rays band was the best.

Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2011 3:53 am    

To my ears, his tone is the very best. It's very distinctive. But absolutely perfect. Oh ya, and it doesn't hurt that he's a monster player...

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2011 5:43 pm    

I had the pleasure of seeing Jim and Ray in Plant City, FL, last Friday. What a show! What superb playing by all the band members. I didn't get to meet Jim, but I surely enjoyed seeing and hearing him play. I couldn't figure out what amp he was using. All I could see was "Custom" in the upper right corner area. Sounded sweet!
NRA Life member

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2011 4:17 pm    

Ditto's what James Marlowe said. Great picking. As for "The Chief" - That man is amazing. He was in great voice, even better than when I saw him 4 years ago. Will he ever wear out? I don't think so...

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 7:46 am    

I have had the pleasure of having Jim right down the road for many years.
Not only is he a monster player, his tone is what I have been looking for from day one. He has been a ton of help in that regard as well as being willing to show me anything he knows.

He is proof that the majority of tone is in the hands. He was at my house the other day playing pinball, and when we finished I asked him to see if he could help me find his tone on my rig.

He plays one of the first P/P Emmons guitars with the "old style" Nashville 400's, or an old Standel amp.

I usually play a Blanton with a newer "modded" Nashville 400. He found his tone right away. He played the guitar about an hour, playing just about every tune from Buddy's "black" album.
When he finished he said "Boy, this sounds awful close to my guitar".

Jim is just a great player (both steel and pinball Cool), has great tone, and is a great teacher. Not a bad drummer ether. I'm proud to call him a friend.

Best,
Justin

Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 8:56 am    

SO right you are, Justin. I have to throw in my 2 pennies about Mr. Loessberg once more. We've worked many gigs together, each of us on various instruments and I look forward to it every time. I know I'm gonna learn something important. Jim is just a bottomless pit of knowledge when it comes to the steel guitar and is able to help me with ANY aspect, and is more than happy to do so at any time, day or night. He is, all around technique, vocabulary and tone-wise, the best steel guitar player I know. Jim has been a huge inspiration and absolutely pivotal in my development as a player. Aside from keeping me facing the right direction with the instrument, he has hooked me up with some unbelievably rare opportunities. Now, I can't tell him any of this stuff to his face! He'd just scoff and tell me I'm full of it! haha!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 12:29 pm    

As for me, what Biller said.

Verbatim.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 1:06 pm    

Here are a couple of action pics. Not the best pics, but they work.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 1:10 pm    

Jim looked like that 25 years ago when he was a mid-level manager for the Travis County Republican Party!!! Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 2:05 pm    

Anyone know what kind of amp he's using in that pic? We weren't close enough to tell. I love his tone. Great stuff.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 2:45 pm    

It's an old Standel I think. I know he has one.

Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 9:21 pm    

correct. It's an early 60's Standel Custom XV. The hybrid model with 15" JBL D130. It used to be mine but Jim liked it so much he bought one just like it. Ofcourse his didn't sound as good to his ears so we swapped.

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2011 7:49 pm    

Wow, do I owe you guys some money?

Thanks to everyone for all the kind but undeserved words.

To those of you whom I have had the pleasure of meeting, it was nice to visit. I'm sorry it always seems to be much too short. To those I have not yet met, come say hi the next time Ray is in your area.

The amp in question is the Standel like Dave said. I can't thank Dave enough for swapping amps with me!
What Dave said about looking forward to the gigs goes double for me. No matter what instrument (steel, guitar or bass) I always enjoy working with Dave. As an added bonus, we can find any venue on the planet without a map!

Herbert, as always you are too nice. I will have to correct you on one point. I was at the Republican Party of Texas, before they kicked me out of politics. In retrospect, it was the best thing that could have happened to me because it forced me back to the thing I knew best -- music.

Speaking of former careers, Herb used to spend his time writing want-ads for the "Deviations" category in the Daily Worker, er...the Austin Chronicle.

Justin, I could spend the rest of my life trying to pay you back for all the things you have fixed for me, the favors and the friendship. Just add all your nice words to the list.

Thanks a million!

Jim

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2011 4:57 am    

Jim Loessberg wrote:

Speaking of former careers, Herb used to spend his time writing want-ads for the "Deviations" category in the Daily Worker, er...the Austin Chronicle.

Hey, I only did that for a year! Then I got one of my sales staffers to handle those customers! Laughing