The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leavin' & Sayin' Goodbye
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 8:33 am    

Who's on this cut by Jack Greene?
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 10:00 am    

I think Lloyd Green

Joe
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Franklin

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 11:33 am    

I am guessing here, but its a good one...This is certainly Weldon Myrick's tone and licks. The only guy who has fooled me going into Weldon's world was Russ Hicks who really loved and captured Weldon's thing. Especially during those late 70's when he was playing with Barefoot Jerry...This sounds like an older cut from around that period.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 12:12 pm    

Paul is right of course - I jumped the gun knowing that Lloyd played with him. Weldon was Weldon for sure.

He and Hal both told me not to try to be Buddy, Weldon, Hal, Lloyd or Paul just be you - borrow from all of um Hal said, borrow from all of um and many more but just be you. A great memory.

Thanks Paul
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 4:16 pm    

This was from 1972.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 6:01 pm    

https://youtu.be/aKXSvTQMYDE this is the cut I think, marvelous playing indeed.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 4:57 am    

Sorry I forgot the link. Old age and too much isolation.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 12:37 pm    

Speaking of "Leaving", here's the master John Hughey with the impeccable Dawn Sears, both unfortunately departed now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhiyEoGC1xw

Joe

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 12:55 pm    

Paul’s comment about identifying a player by style and tone brings a question to mind. While a player’s style is unique to the player, how much of the tone is controlled by the engineer? Do the session players have input into what they hear on play back?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 1:04 pm    

Joe Goldmark wrote:
...here's the master John Hughey with the impeccable Dawn Sears

If there was ever a better concert DVD than that one, I'd sure like to see it. Sheer perfection.

Franklin

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 5:33 pm    

Personal tone is in the players hands....We can be manipulated through different gear etc....But we can never be changed into sounding like another player....If it could how many would sound just like Buddy, Lloyd, or whoever has their favorite tone? The hands reveals a players tone. Back in the 60's before album credits I learned who was playing by their tone and then their style of licks.
Paul

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 12:11 pm    

Paul, personal tone, right on target. Years ago I had the privilege to be a student of Neil Flanz, here in Florida. After the lesson he would play a few songs, his style & tone, amazing, during most of his playing I would watch his hands and how he concentrated on and getting that "Flanz P/P" sound, all personal involvement, a true old time professional.

His Emmons P/P was falling apart, it would move left to right, backwards and forwards, rattle a little, as he played, it looked as it was about to fall to pieces. But his tone, wow.
Talk about equipment!!!!

His early 1960s Nashville tales on the music scene there was a history lesson I'll never forget.
He had a kind word for everyone he spoke of.
KEN

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 1:15 pm    

Jack Greene - Leavin' And Sayin' Goodbye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXSvTQMYDE&feature=youtu.be

That is a very strange steel intro and steel solo. Am I the only one who feels that it doesn't fit well in this track?

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 6:09 am    

It's interesting that this recording was mentioned. For 35 years this recording has mystified me. I got all Jack's albums from that era and they are all masterpieces. So one day I was playing a CD I made of that album in the car going to a gig with Walter Haynes. Walter played steel and fiddle in my band for 10 years and was also producing at Owen Bradley's studio when Jack cut these songs. I asked him who was playing steel on this song and he said it was so long ago he couldn't remember but it sounded like something only Emmons would attempt to pull off and actually make it fit in the song but then he said "Why did he do that? That don't fit that song."
Anyway I had to take a stab at it myself but I never could get the feel the original had. Not even close.
I made me a track to it playing all the instruments similar to the original record and even sung it but no cigars on steel. I'm sure players like Franklin and Green can pull it off but I dig it even if it don't fit the song. Here's my feeble reenactment of that recording session.

https://youtu.be/yB-FgFzx0qk