The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless Non-Pedal Steel Guitars
W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 12:28 pm    

Recently I've built a few keyless steel guitars. One is an 8 string, the other a 7 string. Here are some pics:

Wayne

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 12:47 pm    

Wheeew, Wayne...that is one interesting guitar.

Great looking changer.

I just keep looking at the pictures...over and over.

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 2:05 pm    

Tom Campbell wrote:
Wheeew, Wayne...that is one interesting guitar.

Great looking changer.

I just keep looking at the pictures...over and over.

The first one, the 8 string, tuners are styled after a pedal steel changer, sort of. Allows for a much shorter overall guitar length, if I want to make it short.

The 7 string is just straight pull. Strings feed in through tuners, and go through body at the head end. I wanted to see if I could clean up the appearance on top.

Wayne

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 1:45 am    

I bet with that pedal steel type tuner, you could come up with a way to have a lever that did three tunings like the HipShot Trilogy or other devices.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 6:25 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
I bet with that pedal steel type tuner, you could come up with a way to have a lever that did three tunings like the HipShot Trilogy or other devices.
Yeah, I thought about it. But my considerations when I made it, I just wanted to make a lap steel. This kind of changer can make the guitar very short, I made a lap steel with this kind of tuning system, it was 24" scale and overall length was 25". If the tuning fingers are flipped around so the opposite flat end is on top, then a lever can be put on top. On a pedal steel, fingers like this have a rod at the end to pull or push for raise or lower.

The 8 string was an experiment, I wanted to hear what kind of acoustic qualities a box would produce, and I had a bunch of extra metal to use up, so I cut the pieces and bolted them together, a whole lot of work.

On the second steel pictured, it is extruded aluminum rectangle tube, and the ends are open. The 7 string has about twice as much acoustic volume as the 8 string, yet still no feedback issues. It is impressive loud, but not loud enough to perform with, but enough volume to practice with, sounds pretty good. (BTW, the 7 string is up on eBay right now.)

Wayne