The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio Steel Guitar Players...
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2011 6:06 am    

Hey Mr. Sexton!!!

I ain't from Ohio but i have spent a month up in Columbus one weekend! Laughing

On my youtube page the clip i did with Doug "007" Seven was done in Columbus, OH. Memorial weekend!

We now do it every Memorial day weekend! It's funny you talk about steel pickers up there cause Doug says Columbus is a tough town to try and play real country music! Whoa!

Anyways, it would be cool to have you guys come hang with us when i go up and jam with Doug! He's a killer Tele picker and good people!

I'll be up this coming Memorial Day weekend at Doug's studio! We talked about doing and outside show so i'll let ya know!
Hope ya didn't mind me making a comment man!! Cool
thx.....km

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2011 6:29 am     Mamorial Day

Kenny, I was sorry we missed you last time. Keep us informed with where/when, times ect, we might be able to draw a crowd... For sure if you let me know, I wont miss it. Been hearing good things brother... Very Happy

Bob Haglock

St. Clairsville ,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2011 1:48 am     Ohio Steel Players / St. Clairsville

Hi Dick, saw this page and thought I'd add myself to the list. I've played steel for 35 years . Mostly as a hobby. I've played with several local bands now & then. Have done several local recording projects. Played dobro for "Carroll County Grass" bluegrass band for 7 years. Have had the pleasure to perform at The Capital Music Hall in Wheeling.(WWVA Radio)Love the pedalsteel & dobro. After all these years, I just got my first D-10 and I'm loving the C6th neck. In my free time I also enjoy my classic truck and flying giant scale RC airplanes. Have a great day. Bob.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2011 5:08 am     Welcome...

Hello Bob,
It sounds like you love your music and have lots of experience playing out. Congrats on the D10... I haven't made that jump yet, many reasons I guess. Someday maybe.

I am amazed at how many techie types, pilots and model builder/fliers, play steel. I too flew RC, back before the giants and electrics, loved it. Also shot competitive archery, working/building my own gear. In electronics since the late 50s, all through the Marines, then Lockheed Martin and others, in aviation simulation. That working on stuff, gets in your blood and stays, doesn't it.

Thank you and all for chiming in, this truly is a great family of similar minded folks we have here in Ohio...

Tom Fuller

Manama, Bahrain
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2011 6:01 am    

Dick,
I am just down the street from you (Greenville, OH). Owner of a BMI D-10 and trying to be player of it! Where in Lewisburg are you playing? I would like to hear you sometime.

Tom Fuller
Greenville, OH

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2011 6:26 am     Wow...

Tom, what a pleasant surprise... I'm off Russ Rd. to Radcliff, not far from the Kroger/Wally Mart area.

I play with the "Good Old Boys" Friday nights @ the Midway in Lewisburg(Hwy503&Hwy40) 5 to 8. Email me, I'll give you my number, we can chew the fat.

Amazing, steel players everywhere!

Bob Haglock

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2011 2:06 pm     Common Interest

Hi Dick, Your right on with the common interest of steel players. A large portion of the members in our RC club are musicians. By the way, Semper Fi, 2nd Marine Air Wing, 3rd LAAM Battalion, MCAS Cherry Point , NC. 1972-1974 Bob.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2011 2:37 pm     Common Interest

And this too is amazing...

Semper Fi, 2nd MAW, MACG 28, MACS-6, MCAS Cherry Point 1976-1992. I retired in 92.

Bob, email me...

Skeeter Wolfe

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2011 9:20 am    

Hi guys Skeeter Wolfe Columbus area all of these steel players I need to go see you all and steal me some licks . I'm tired of hearing my self.

Robert C. McKee

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 5:30 pm    

um...ok..what the heck...

Last edited by Robert C. McKee on 11 Apr 2011 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 6:47 pm     Howdy all!

With Skeeter and Robert, we just hit 100 player. Now that would be a gathering of steel pickers.

I still bet there are a few hiding in the bushes.

Anyone going to make the show in Middletown Sunday afternoon. Check it out in Events... I'll be the shortest guy there in my ball cap, say hey.

Bob Haglock

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 7:45 am     Howdy

Hi Dick, Semper-Fi. Thought I'd give you a shout. I just started practicing with a Southern Country/Rock band. Going to be their steel player on their larger shows. Having a blast. Hope all is well over there in your part of Ohio. Things are good here on the eastern end. Take care, Bob.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 7:53 am     Hey Bob

Congrats on the steeling position... Bet you have a blast. I just talked to one of my buds in Havelock, said everything is still churning and burning there at MCAS Cherry Point. Both he and I retired out of there. Lots of changes, but still going strong.
Semper Fi,
Dick Sexton

Brandon Bankes

Zanesville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 9:10 am    

Brandon Bankes here, 25 year old player from Zanesville, Ohio.

My grandmother passed a '74 Emmons onto me after my grandfather's death (it was his guitar) and I've never looked back. Been playing solid for about 4 years now.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 2:57 pm    

HEY DICK , DAVE MORRISON HERE.IM STILL PICKING DOWN HERE IN SOUTHERN OHIO.LOVE THAT AMP YOU SOLD ME.ITS ABOUT ALL I USE THESE DAYS.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 6:58 pm     He guys...

Very Happy

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2012 5:31 pm    

Well, last but least; Wink I am David Zornes from Middletown, Ohio; between Dayton and Cincinnati. I worked the road for the Grand Old Opry stars and quite a few from the Hee Haw circuit-that was back in the seventies and eighties. I now pastor a church here in Middletown, and though I still do recording sessions, my main focus these days is God, family and the church. I own two steels-an Emmons Lashley LeGrande, and a ShoBud Super Pro. My amps of choice- a Fender Steel King, and a Webb. A great moment for me, back in the day, was when Steel Guitarist magazine did a promo with me for the Dekley steel guitar company. My church plays some contemporary but a whole lot of Country Gospel-I am in my element! God bless you.

Stephen Weddle

Brown County, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 10:20 am     Helle Mr. Sexton

I see this thread was started over 1 year ago, but will add myself to the list.
I live about 80 miles south of Columbus, or about 40 miles due east of Cincinnati.
I played in the late 70's and 80's, but closed my case up in 1986 for just over 20 years. Just in the last 3 years getting back into the groove, and playing with a band. Been up to the Columbus jam, and listened to those guys play once. Enjoyed it much. Lost a lot of licks in that time I was not playing, and trying to get them all back now LOL. Practice, Practice, Practice, I know that is what I need, and I am doing that. I am having a lot of fun, and that is the main part of playing.
Stephen Weddle

GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 8:53 pm    

Me too Somerset Ohio Very Happy

Mike Keating

Dayton Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 11:41 am    

Mike Keating - Dayton OH - (new member). I started in '73 and copied licks off records. Used to drive to Ironton and Portsmouth to hear (and record) the late and great Jerry Taylor doing bar gigs. Even took a date (whom I later married) to hear Jerry. Recently been inspired and helped by Jerry's friend Tim Sergent (Deirks Bentley band). Am now playing with the markdepoyshow.com and the elderlybrothers.com ...
Would like to say hi to Jim Whitaker (hamilton area) John Borchard, Greg Jones and Jeff DeLaval (athens ohio)

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 1:31 pm     Hello gentlemen!

This thread hasn't been to the top in a while and the ones here are forum members, quite a large number of steelers. Makes you wonder how many are not on the forum or don't have computers. I'm pretty sure there must be many. Thank you for adding your names to the group. I stand by my original premise, "A steel player behind every bush". With this many, the steel guitar knowledge base and experiance in Ohio appears to be huge. As I'm sure it is.

With that much knowledge and experiance, could there be a book about Ohio Steel Players waiting to be written. Maybe one has...

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 11:27 pm    

Brandon...So you started out on an almost 40 year old Emmons that was your grandfather's? That is really something to be proud of. Keep on...

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 4:22 pm     ohio steel players

not sure if this thread is closed, But I'm from Defiance Ohio. I've lived in Nashville for 25+ yrs. Kenny Davis ,from Lima got me hooked on steel when we did a show. I played bass and was amazed at the sounds he got out of that old Sho-Bud. Anyhow ,He has been a hero of mine ever since. I've played steel off and on ever since. Ohio is rich in musical talent .

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 6:05 pm     Hello Joe...

No not closed yet... Yes, lots of steels here in Ohio.

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 11:30 pm     Mike Keating

So finally I hear from Mike Keating of Dayton, Ohio. Folks this guy can play Weldon's "Hot Foot" like it was his tune. I'm originally from Dayton, moved to WV in '73. Mike I remember you from the Dayton/ Yellow Springs band. Last I saw you was in Columbus at a Emmons seminar. Great to hear you are still playing. Don Drummer.