The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio Steel Guitar Players...
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2011 4:12 pm    

Still at it on an irregular basis. Gary Lambillotte, Medina, Ohio.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 5:27 am     ohio steel player

Dick;Im from southern Ohio,I'm right on the river.I still play with various artists around the state,and do some bluegrass stuff with Blackwater Run.You wont recognize that amp I got from you.It is now covered in tweed and looks so cool.Dave Morrison

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 7:12 am     That Little LTD 400 and The List Update!

Hi Dave, great to hear from you. I'll just bet that little bugger looks spankin new. I have to admit, I miss her just a little, but glad to know she has a new lease on life. That LTD has a history. Email me, I'll fill you in.

Ohio Steelers...

Again I'm amazed how many players are in Ohio. These lists are not all inclusive but, on the active(Forum Posted) list, there are 24 names.

On the second list, players who that first list may know or knew, there are 45 names.

There are other I have heard or seen, at least two that I can think of, and not everyone that attends the OSGA jams are on the lists. If you know one let me know. If not here, by email. Thanks, great job and great bunch of players.

Jim Vogan

Ohio City, Ohio 45874
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 12:36 pm    

David Morris, you got me thinking! I think Buddy Van still plays around the area. Ron Dearth had a lot of students around the area. The first time I seen Bob Hempker, he was playing with Big Mike at the Bandstand. Bob Caskey played a single push pull and was a very good singer! Bob also liked to drink a little! I put new strings on my steel about four months ago. Need to tune up one of these days!

Jim Vogan

Ohio City, Ohio 45874
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 12:37 pm    

David Morris, you got me thinking! I think Buddy Van still plays around the area. Ron Dearth had a lot of students around the area. The first time I seen Bob Hempker, he was playing with Big Mike at the Bandstand. Bob Caskey played a single push pull and was a very good singer! Bob also liked to drink a little! I put new strings on my steel about four months ago. Need to tune up one of these days!

David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 7:44 pm    

I didn't see it mentioned(forgive me if this is a repeat)but Jimmy Crawford was from Ohio,Obetz I think.

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 9:12 pm    

From Zanesville area (White Cottage) transplanted to Southern California first in 1959 then USAF and returned to So Cal in 1965 and stayed.

Stephen Karney

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2011 11:45 am    

24 year old steel picker from Wakeman, OH. That's not too far from Norwalk, if you know where that is. I live in Akron now, but I go back to Wakeman to play with my band Rodney and the Regulars.

Last edited by Stephen Karney on 27 Sep 2011 3:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 9:35 am     Ohio Steelers...

Again, amazed how many players there are in Ohio. These lists are not all inclusive but, on the active(Forum Posted) list, there are 26 names.

On the second list, players who that first list may know or knew, there are 51 names.

Thank you for standing up and raising a hand...

I do know of a couple more...

P Perry

Lebanon, OH, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 7:02 pm     From Ohio

Born and raised in Lebanon, OH smack dab between Dayton and Cincinnati. Play a JCH d-10

Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 5:14 am    

Dick,

I live in Defiance, Ohio. Still playing at it, though the 6 string has taken priority in my group once again. Haven't included the steel in a show in quite a while.

For steel I play a D-10 Carter, Nashville 400 or LA 400, also like my Fender HR Deville for steel or guitar. For guitar I mostly use a Peavey Classic 30 for smaller venues, or the Deville for larger ones, with G&L ASAT, Epi Dot, Strat, etc.

Gene Rettig, my steel guitar idol, still lives around here too, in Stryker, Ohio. Last time I talked to him, he was talking about picking up a S-12 to play with. He was a terrific player, monster on the C6 neck, but when the music changed, he just walked away.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 6:34 am     A few more added...

Mr. Perry, I caught your set at Chubby's show this year(my first), thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

Tom, your a neighbor of mine, sort of. I'm on Hwy 127, about 18 miles north of I-70, in Greenville. Thank you for mentioning Gene Rettig.

Lists now, 29 and 52. That is a lot of "Buck Eye" steel talent. Others?

Joe Moriva

GROVE CITYOhio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 7:31 am     steel players in Ohio

Joe moriva,Im still a newbie, been playing for close to two years now,I live in grove city and would love to get some lessons if any one close is available, also back to steel players in Ohio, lets not forget Grove citys own Leland Darst,

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 8:05 am    

Hey Tim, I was born and raised in the south end of Columbus, and now live in Grove City, which is basically around the Southwest corner of Columbus. Very Happy

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 1:44 pm    

Mr Sexton i missed you at the jam . I hope you can make the next one . We have lots of steel players from Ohio at the jam .

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 1:51 pm     Jam...

Hey Gary... Just getting over a bug, maybe next time.

Bet you guys had a good one.

Total of 83 players on the list now, a few no longer with us, but most are. Still haven't got them all, though.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 3:11 pm    

I'm from Columbus...I kind of hack at the Steel Guitar,yet it's my favorite instrument to play.My wife says it's all Larry Cole's fault because he got me interested in playing this crazy expensive habit ! Laughing Laughing

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 5:51 pm    

I live in San Antonio, Tx now but my strong steel guitar roots go back to Columbus, Oh where I was born and raised. My dad Daun Edgington played non-pedal in the 50's-60's and my mom taught steel and guitar in the 40's.

David Ziegler, your correct, Jimmy Crawford was born in Obetz. My dad was playng steel with Gene & Garland Crawford (Jimmy's dad and uncle when I was born in 1946).

Another player I haven't seen mentioned was Tom Kiley originally from Hilliard (worked for Roy Drusky) and his brother-in-law Dennis Robinson. Jr Mercer from the Dayton area was another hot picker.

Terry Watts

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2011 4:21 pm     Ohio Steel Players

I am currently living in the Akron area. I started out on a Sho-bud, then a Marlin, and from there I went to Kline and continue to play on the Kline. Freddie Little is a good friend of mine and is currently playing in the Akron area. He is one of my favorite steel players. Plays so smooth. He is still as good as he ever was.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2011 6:03 pm    

Just saw this thread, so I figured I'd chime in. Living in Delaware, OH, now, most all of my playing over the past, nearly, 40 years, has been with stage shows and bands that did all original music.

I came to a few of the OSGA jams, but I have a hard time with some of the country classics, since I never took time to learn them. Embarassed I do love hearing all the other players and socializing with the wonderful people, though. They are all so kind and fun-loving. And the music is just the best.

I'm just going to have to make the time to come by again. I miss the camaraderie of fellow steelers. And of course, seeing all the great gear they are using. (I'm a hopeless gear-head ) Laughing

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 4:55 pm     Ohio Steel Player.

I Was Born in Xenia in 1953 , Raised In Fairborn On a Farm , Went In The USAF In 1972 Till 1978, Now Living In San Antonio Texas , Play a D-10 Emmons Push Pull And A 2010 Emmons L2 ,Sarno Preamp In a Furlong Cabinet. Played For 10 Years in the 74 Till 84 and Quit For 20 years and Raised My Family, Started Back 2004 and Playing 5 Nights This week. I Miss Ohio all except the Cold Weather. Hall Of Fame Player Denny Mathis Gave me Lessons When I Started. Randy G. Very Happy

Last edited by Randy Gilliam on 18 Jan 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Leland Darst

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 8:40 pm    

Joe , thankyou for mentioning my name, its nice to know im still thought of. I'll give you lessons if you want. Let's not forget another good friend of mine here in Ohio too , John Call has been with PPL for years and years.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 5:36 am     Ohio Steelers...

Total of 93 so far. Thank you all!

Teddy Ray Bullard II

Pocatello, Idaho
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2011 2:10 am    

My name is teddy ray.

I live in circleville, ohio and I am the greenest of the green hacks.
Very Happy

Made my living singing southern gospel(Bass), formerly with the Stamps Quartet(JD Sumner and the Stamps)

and dozens of other SGM groups. I was born and raised in Southeastern NC, so still learning the Ohio ways.

anyway, I still wanna sing bass and play steel.

if you can teach me anything about steel, please holler. I wanted to study with Mike Siglar, but the schedule didn't work out as it was daytime.

teddy ray

740 497 4473

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2011 5:09 am     Ohio Steelers...

94 and counting...

Sure appreciate you all chiming in.

Teddy Ray, seems like your just a stones throw from Columbus and a hot bed of top notch players... Good place to settle.

I myself moved here from Eastern North Carolina, the Morehead City/Havelock/Cherry Point Area... Welcome to Ohio!

Email me when you get the time...