The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio Steel Guitar Players...
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2012 4:38 am    

Had to add one more memory! When I was first exploring steel,after Kenny Davis lit the fire!,He mentioned Lake Jewelry in Franklin Oh. This place was a goldmine! This was Pre-internet,Pre-cell phone. Steel LP's galore! Nice to look back! Don't remember the family band connected with the store, but they sure liked country music! again, Thanks ,Kenny Davis, for pointing me in the right directions!

Mike Keating

Dayton Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2012 10:48 am     Don Drummer

Hi Don. Thank you for your Hot Foot compliment. I got the band to do that tune a few times just to impress the late Calvin Brandenburg - a real good steeler whom I would listen to in the Springfield area. As to the Emmons C6th seminar in Columbus - I remember it like it was yesterday - except for the content of which I remember nothing. Fortunately there's a tape. Unfortunatly someone else has the tape. Hope you're still playing - in a band.

Mitch Reed

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 9:55 am    

Hi, I am from Kent, Ohio. I've been a fingerpicker/ slide player for awhile and got a Carter Starter from a forum member last month. Looking forward to picking it up.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 10:15 am     Welcome to the magical world of steel guitar...

Welcome aboard Mitch... And all who have chimed in since I was on here last. The list just keeps growing. Ohio Strong!

Mitch, look around in here, you may find something of interest. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=594320d13092d8fb

Rockne Riddlebarger

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 5:12 pm    

I'm Rockne Riddlebarger in Cincinnati, OH. I've been playing lap style guitar, acoustic and electric for 40 years. I am currently playing a console D8 in the Andyman Hopkins Band plus other assorted projects and sessions. I play west coast style hot licks steel in Andy's honky tonk band. I own several resonators guitars with a 2001 Jerry Douglas model Dobro being my #1 and I have half a dozen lap steels from the 30's to the early 50's. I teach dobro and steel guitar at Rusty's Music. I also repair instruments with resos and steels as my specialty....

Brandon Bankes

Zanesville, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 8:19 am    

Mike Daly wrote:
Brandon...So you started out on an almost 40 year old Emmons that was your grandfather's? That is really something to be proud of. Keep on...

Yes sir.. thanks a lot for the encouragement. I love your playing, Mike! It means a lot coming from you.

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 6:01 pm     ...Bennie Gabbard?

I bought my first PSG, a Sho Bud Maverick, from Bennie Gabbard in Lebanon, Ohio near Franklin/ Middletown. He had a music store and recording studio. Anybody remember him?

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 11:13 am    

Just unpacked my first pedal steel, purchased from a forum member. Letting it warm up before I tune it, then I figure about ten years learning what the pedals and knees do! I'm in Medina County, Ohio; nice to know there are so many neighbors playing steel. Hope to meet some of you some day.

Jerry Warner

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 4:47 pm     jody ray

Anyone remember Jody ray that played in cleveland in the 1960"s used stright pick and two finger picks, He was a good player.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 7:48 am    

Hi Kevin . You need to come to one of our steel jams we have here in Columbus.It's on the forum . Gary .

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 8:31 am    

Welcome Kevin. Your not too far from 2 steel players. I am in Brunswick, and a fellow is right across the county line in Strongsville. His name is Roger Hagmier. Where do you live? We take tuns playing steel, at a jam, every Wed., from before 6, till 9, in the party room of the Winking Lizzard, on 303 in Brunswick. Feel free to come and join in. Your welcome to play and sing. Our steels, are the only ones that use a amp.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 2:11 pm     Ohio Players

I have been sorting through the list and may have missed the name.

Is Joe Adams still in Washington Courthouse.?

He owned a real nice Franklin steel guitar and I made the mistake many years ago of selling him one of my short key head Emmons D 10's.

I lived east of the Milford Ohio area for 5 years. It was around 16 years ago that my job transferred me to TN and now FL.

Tony Rankin: Quit picking on yourself. I have been to your house and I know you can turn out some good stuff Smile

Ray DeVoe

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 5:37 pm    

Yes Joe is still in Court House . We were at his home a while back . G.P.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2013 3:08 pm    

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I'm in Hinckley. My wife and I have lunch at that restaurant in Brunswick. I'll see if we can't come over some night when you're playing. I can play guitar, bass (elec & upright) and sing lead and harmony, but there's no way I can play steel yet. I'm still working on scales and changes. It's kinda like juggling while riding a bicycle, just harder.

Rick Dillon

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 4:25 am     Ohio

I,m here in southern Oh. in the village of Chesapeake. I havebeen plucken for about 35 years now. I took my pro one shobud took it apart and built me a Lloyd Green model, fabricated a metal neck and end plates, it looks great and plays half way descent. I also made two extra knee lever assemblies bellcranks and square cross shafts. The only problem I,m having now is the chrome plated pop metal fingers are wearing through the chrome and cutting groves in the fingers causing it to stick and hang up. I havebeen thinking seriously about building me a new one from scratch, covering the double cabinet in formica. If any of you guys want to come help I will fix ya a bologna sandwich and a coke?

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 9:40 am    

Kevin Swan wrote:
Just unpacked my first pedal steel, purchased from a forum member. Letting it warm up before I tune it,...

Kevin, by now you've no doubt discovered the irony in that... If not, seach the forum for "cabinet drop" or tuning. Very Happy

Just kidding... I'm sure, being in OH in February, you did the right thing.

BTW: Update since my earlier reply (page 1), I'm back to trying to play this thing! Very Happy

Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 5:59 am    

Bruce Blackburn from Woodstock Ohio, living now in Beaver, Ohio. 2 Sho~Bud Super Pro's and a Deckley 14U. Others I know that haven't been mentioned are Billy Joe Moore in North Lewisburg, Ohio, Todd Brandenburg in Hillsboro, Ohio, Duane Waylen in Chillicothe, Ohio John Call, Chillicothe, Ohio, Rick Saunders, Gallipolis, Ohio. I remember sneaking around to try to steel licks off of Skeeter Wolfe.

Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 6:00 am    

Isn't Jernigan originally from Ohio?

Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 7:49 am    

What about a guy that I met in Columbus years ago. Walt Wilson?

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2013 11:21 pm    

I was waiting for Skeeter. Sometime last century, I had the honor of playing with Skeeter. Skeeter was our next steel player, after Mike Sweeney had left. Skeeter's still playing that old Clark, too.

John Lang

Las Vegas, Nevada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 9:35 am    

I will be re-locating to the Cincinnati area from Detroit sometime in August.

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 9:54 am    

Hey Stephan, Which Skeeter are you referring. It can't be me, Not in Mike Sweeny's league.

Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 4:45 am    

Hi, I live in Logan Ohio. About 45 miles southeast of Columbus.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 4:59 am    

Wow, there sure are a lot of steel players in Ohio, the next state over from where I live in Indiana, near Indy.

Is there a scheduled steel show or get-together where a guy, as a vendor, could set up a booth? I have way too much steel-related gear and renting some tables and booth space at a steel event seems like a good way to sell it.

Thanks.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 6:38 am    

I am from Zanesville, and back in Ohio (Millersport, on Buckeye Lake).

- David Spires