The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio Steel Guitar Players...
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 8:07 am    

Since my northern migration to the great state of Ohio a little over two years ago, from the mostly sunny state of North Carolina, I have been amazed by the sheer number of steel players in Ohio. I have coined a phrase, "A Steel Player Behind Every Bush". It is not uncommon to have two or even three steel players in the audience, attending the restaurant gig I am currently playing, in the small town of Lewisburg, OH.

I would like to know who you are and where your located in the state. Maybe even a little history of your steel guitar journey. Also if you know a player that is not currently a forum member. They might be encouraged to become or at least be counted and recognized as an Ohio steeler.

Why? Just curiosity I guess or maybe I'll need a sub at some point or know someone that does.

I'll start with myself:

1. Dick Sexton-Greenville, OH (67yo)-Derby SD-10, About 6 years, more or less.

If you don't want your name up on the forum... Email me, I'll put you on the list or not at your request.

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 12:22 pm    

Tony Rankin, Miamisburg, OH (about 10 miles south of Dayton) and I play with a southern gospel quartet. I have a couple of Zum Hybrids and a Show Pro Lloyd Green model.

Ohio is filled with great steel players, Wayne Hobbs, Phil Perry, Mike Sigler just to name a few. I am likely the worst steel player in Ohio, but I have fun. Hey...somebody has to be the worst!

Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 7:33 pm     Ohio

Eddie Harper (Fairfield, Ohio) about 20 miles North Of Cincy....ShoBud Professional D-10 and an LDG and a Carter D-10. Eddie

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 8:54 pm     Ohio

Brad "PorkChop" Nelson, Greenwich 30 minutes north of Mansfield. Played 20 years ago, left for a 15 year stint in bluegrass playing bass and flattop and singing with various bluegrass bands acrossed Ohio, came back to steel a couple months ago. Waiting on my Sho-Bud to get here!!! I can play some but have alot to learn. I may be in the running for the worst in Ohio LOL.

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 4:19 am    

I'm Rich Gardner, living in Columbus, OH. I am originally from Tiffin, OH. I played in a garage band in and around Tiffin for 34 years. I play a Rickenbacker double 8 steel, mostly. I recently bought a Carter Starter and am having fun trying to coordinate my hands, feet and knees. I am doing all right. I now play for nursing homes and hospitals.

Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 6:04 am    

I live in Fairborn. Ex player I guess. Played six string for about 25 years, then 30 years or so back decided to take up steel. I had an E9 w/three pedals and one knee. Was taking some lessons from a feller in Springfield, Ohio who was also a C6 neck speed demon. Worked a couple of gigs and went back to 6 string. Way more work available at the time. Sometimes wish I had stayed with it. I am currently working on a new seat for steel players, and Dick Sexton will be the first to try it out.

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 6:09 am     Ohio

I just wanted to add another comment. There ARE alot of steelies in Ohio and I want to say what a great bunch of guys they are. I have known alot of them for many years and not once have they ever not been the most helpful of all the musicians I have known.
They answer questions, give advice, teach and just
welcome friendship with an open door. Some of the best Ohio steelies I know thanks for your friendship and support. Ronnie, Paul, Lloyd,Jr(passed), Mike,George,Rick,Larry just to name a few in my area.

Your Bud Brad

Steve Kritz

Shadyside, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 12:43 pm    

I'm Steve Kritz, I live in Shadyside, Ohio. I've been playing about 15 years. Mullen HWP and an S-10 Emmons La Grande, both through a Fender Steel King. I'll second the idea that Ohio steel players are some of nicest guys in the world. God bless you all.

Last edited by Steve Kritz on 20 Feb 2011 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 6:08 pm     '' Happy ''

Very Happy Hey Mr. Sexton . It looks like you have found a few steel players around Ohio that i didn't know about ! Now the challenge is to get them come to the Steel jam ! Everyone is welcome as you know . It won't be long until March 12 th . Hope to see you at the jam . G.P.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 6:32 pm     Ohio Steelers...

Thank you, everyone that has posted so far. As I thought many many players. "One behind every bush!"

Gary my dear friend, I'll sure try to make the next jam. Of course, as always, try is the operative. For you who have posted and those that are following the thread and may not know, Gary Preston is the president of the Ohio Steel Guitar Association (OSGA) that puts on a jam about every month through the summer. He faithfully posts the location and dates of each jam in the "Announcement" section of the forum, if you might be interested in attending. A live backup band, good eats and great steel playing fellowship.

We know that some of you, maybe most, are very seasoned players, and working musicians don't always have time to come out to these events. Just a fact of life, but please know your welcome.

Again, thanks for raising your hand and letting us know your there. The time it takes to study and learn this marvelous instrument, in some ways make us all kin. And I personally like knowing I have family close by...

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 4:16 pm    

Don't forget Chubby Howard just outside of Dayton, I think Fairborn.Oh.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 4:18 pm     Jam

Mr. Sexton well spoken my friend . I will be looking forward to seeing you at the jam . Who knows Kenny may have another amp for you to work on ! Laughing

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 5:13 am    

Hey guys, I'm up here in the far northeast corner of the state. 50 miles east of Cleveland near the PA border. Been gigging since I was in high school (I'm 51 yo now). I acquired a Kline U12 about a year ago and am toying with that now. I hear there's a fella down in southern Ohio that works on Klines. Anyone have his number? Maybe I'll make it down to Columbus for one of the get-togethers this year...

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 5:53 am    

Hi all you steelies. I'm in Brunswick, nickname given to Brunswick by the surrounding area is Brunstucky. About 25 miles SW of Cleveland. Most of my playing now is at home, but do haul my LDG to the Brunswick rec center, and starting in March, back to the nature center, for the Wed. night jam. I'm not a fancy player, but play straight up good real country, and bluegrass music. Still support the AFM 492, in Moundsville W Va. I know there are more steel players in Ohio. Lets hear from you.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 9:52 am    

Dick,

I'm in West Chester, about 40 miles south of Lewisburg. The question is, where'd you find a restaurant in Lewisburg? Very Happy

Put me in the "Owner" categor, not to be confused with "Player".

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 3:31 pm    

I think Sonny Curtis is also in Ohio, a great player.
Sonny played for George and Tammy.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 3:59 pm     Thank you all for the response..

Ron,
Your absolutely right, if my sister-in-law hadn't told me there was a restaurant there, I'd still be looking. Actually there are two. Both with the same name. Hahaha. How's that for small town progress.

Owners and players, we'd like to know you... On a good day, I think I'm a player. On all those other days, I know I'm just an owner.

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 9:10 am    

I'm from Ohio............... Sad
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 10:33 am     My bud...

Greg, you made my list early on. Cool

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 10:43 am    

ooooops! Embarassed
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Rudy Hawk

Carrollton,Ohio,USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 7:15 pm    

Reside in Carrollton OH. Play and sing at area churches, festivals and jams.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2011 8:07 am    

I am originally from Athens, Ohio. Spent several years on the road, 2 years in Williamsburg, Va. and 12 years at Renfro Valley, Ky. Now moved back to Middleport so I guess that makes me officially a Buckeye!! LOL Play Mullen and ZB Custom guitars through Fender or Evans rigs. Spent many a night at the old Carousel Lounge in Columbus, Ohio listening to Mike Sigler, the late Deacon Morris, and the late Ray Pemberton.

Greg

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2011 9:40 am    

Jerry Brightman lives in eastern Ohio. I'm not sure but Chuck Rich did live in Ohio but I'm not sure where he is now. Jerry & Chuck are monster players.

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2011 10:49 am    

I grew up in Ashland, KY...just across the river from Ironton, OH. There were bascially only 2 steel players around to listen to and learn from that I could find back then. I played lead guitar in a little band in Ashland and the steel players name was Buddy Gearheart. He was so smooth and had great touch. I would just stand there and stare over his shoulder wishing I could play one of those things. Buddy was from up around the Portsmouth area.

The other guy that was in the area was Jerry Taylor. Jerry was from up around Dayton I believe. These two guys had totally different styles, but each were great at what they did. Jerry was more into the single note, speed picking stuff. He was the guy that said..."you need to put that guitar down and get you a steel". So I did and so far it has worked out really well. I always joked with him that he was to blame for me being in Nashville, but he knew it was just an underhanded way of saying thank you.

Both of these guys are dead and gone now and I miss them both tremendously. I still stay in touch with both of their wives and I even bought Jerry's Zumsteel off of his wife a while back. It probably still has drool on it from when I would look over his shoulder while watching him play. Jerry played on the General Jackson Showboat with the Shotgun Red show for 13 years. He died of a massive heart attack while working on the boat. He was only 53 years old.

I think Dave Morrison lives in Ohio if I'm not mistaking. Gary Adams is a steel player from Ohio. Ken Holycross used to live up around Cincy. Dale Wagner played in the OH area for years. I think Gary Boggs was from around Akron if I'm correct. Sorry if I've repeated names. Johnny Paycheck played steel. The list goes on and on.

Thanks for letting me take a little trip down memory lane.

God Bless,

Tim

p.s
We have some shows in Ohio on the books already (Dierks Bentley). One in Columbus and one in Akron I think so far. Holler at me if you can make it out to one of these shows.

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2011 10:56 am    

I may make it to the Akron show. Dierks is one of my favorites among the "new" country artists. I like the fact that he delves in to the blugrass world (and does it well)!