The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Listen to this!!! Great vocals and steel.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 8:00 am    

This is a friend of mine, Joel Johnston and his dad Jerry using power tracks, similar to band in a box. The vocal is Joel and Jerry is playing steel. What do you think? Comments please...

http://picosong.com/4c4

Matthew Warman

here and now
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 11:38 am    

Hi Duane- IMHO the overall music , vocals and the steel playing is fine; I think the lyrics are a bit of a cliche, but that's how these type of C&W songs go! thanks for sharing it with us:)

Last edited by Matthew Warman on 17 Feb 2011 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Kelly Hydorn

Spokane
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 12:34 pm    

Smile Smile I like it, the song has all you need for a good "Country" song. Maybe just a tad more steel guitar would be nice. Smile Smile

Will Bartell

Medford, Oregon USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 8:27 pm    

Hey Duane, one of my biggest regrets about the demise of the short-lived Northwest Steel Guitar Association was not getting to see Joel sing again. I think he is a GREAT singer, and I think his dad's steel work on this song is very tasteful, original, and appropriate for the tune. Thanks for posting!

John Hobaugh

Farmington, NM, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 9:04 pm     Song by Joel & Jerry

Duane, That's about the best version of that song I've ever heard. I've always wished I could have been part of a band that that used dynamicks. I think it is so good. Joel & jerry do a fantastic job. John

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 3:36 am    

Joel was here in dallas not long ago, he came out to my gig and sat in, what a great singer!!!! he spent the night with us, and we played more at the house, I've had the honer of knowing Joel for some years now, a nicer guy you'll never meet,and a GREAT singer!!! I always give him a hard time, but only cause I like him Very Happy

Great Job Joel, and Jerry!!!.and thanks Duane for posting this....

Joel Johnston

Mead, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 9:30 am     Thanks to all

Thanks to Duane for posting the tune and thanks to everyone for their nice comments.
Will - Duane and I were talking about trying to put a mini-jam together again if we could gather enough interest from PacNW players, we will have to stay in touch.
Kelly - I will do a remix and BOOST the steel. I agree - it can never be "up front" enough!
John - This has always been one of my favorite J-Rod songs, but I loved Barbara Fairchild's interpretation and kind of followed her style on this version. I agree with Matthew - "Country Cliche" is where it's at!
And to my Big Bro David - Thanks for your hospitality on my last visit. We'll have to do that again soon. I would travel far and wide to play music with you Brutha!
Joel Very Happy