Not Amplified
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 54

Author Topic:  Fundamentals Practice Query
Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 10:53 am    

As a novice, I am trying to get more into the fundamentals while practicing. When teaching myself guitar nearly 30 years ago, all of my practice was without amplification while noodling was (over) amplified.

For the steel, do you find it better to practice fundamentals (scales, groupings and the like) with the steel amplified (plugged into an amp with the power on [defined for clarity]) or not amplified (powered off)? I am sure practicing volume swells will be come part of the regimine, but just straight picking fundamentals is my area of concern for this question.

Thanks in advance!

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 10:09 pm    

I voted amplified, though its usually in headphones at night, sometimes playing along with random music from the radio or YouTube.
I also practice acoustically though not as much.
Occasionally during the daytime when I can turn it up, I practice thru an amp for the real world experience. Razz

Clete

Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 6:06 am    

Clete Ritta wrote:
I voted amplified, though its usually in headphones at night, sometimes playing along with random music from the radio or YouTube.
I also practice acoustically though not as much.
Occasionally during the daytime when I can turn it up, I practice thru an amp for the real world experience. :P

Clete

Thanks for the vote and insight...

And thanks to everyone else as well for the votes!

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 7:52 am    

I have for a year or two, made it a habit to play without amplification. Hours a day!
I thought, or so was my self-guinea pig theory, that, not only would I get by noodeling without having my neighbors keep the National Guard on speed dial, but that it would improve my TOUCH.
Right on #1 but sadly at least in part on #2!

We are playing an ELECTRIC instrument. As Maurice Anderson argued in tone related threads, the amplifier is somewhat of an integral part of the "instrument".
The tone and therefor the touch to get it, is dependent of the "whole".
When I got back to amplification, I had to drastically adjust my "touch" to the new dynamics of the "whole rig".

i now prefer NOT using "stage" amps in a home or practice room. I moved to a small FX unit (Pandora's box) into a pair of amplified monitor speakers. Much tighter sound and ability to sound "good" a LOW volume... and for a fraction of the price.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 8:04 am    

The old adage "with power you need control" could not be more relevent then when applied to pedal steel. I can get by with technique on the dobro or acoustic slide that would be and are glaring missteps on the steel. Good idea to practice without the volume pedal to conseal any flaws. I just set the volume and go through my warm ups and then try to make some pretty sounds come out of the amplifier.

Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 7:43 pm    

Thanks again to everyone who has voted or provided insight.

Cheers!

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 7:38 am    

I find that I fiddled too much with the guitar tuning without an amp.
I think the sound needs some "air". Either amp speakers or headphones. Keep it at a volume that will make everyone happy. (how else would you practice piano?)
Just a tiny bit of reverb seems to help. An RV3 does a good job. Too much begins to cover up for poor technique.

I found myself digging in too hard at times, and over picking, trying to hear everything with no amp.

An inexpensive active studio speaker may do a credible job for practice.

Just one man's idea.

RR

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 11:34 am    

I selected "not amplified" but sometimes I use the Pod with headphones. I just don't like to annoy everyone within earshot when I'm working on repetitive exercises.

Jason Hull

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 5:49 pm    

Both!