The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What effects do you go through and why?
Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 7:36 am    

I really want to learn from you folks, if you're willing to share. I'm just getting back into playing after a few year layoff, and would like to experiment with some different sounds. I'd like your thoughts!
Thanks in advance!

Ray Leroux

Vulcan Alberta CANADA/Thousand Palms CA.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 8:19 am     FX chain

Hi Doug
My setup has been the same for years and I've had no reason to change it. Here it is.
From the Carter to the Goodrich Steel DriverII, then into a Yamaha SPX900 for the warmth of its reverb, then to vol pedal and from there to my trusty Session 400. Except for a few minor EQ changes for certain rooms this has been my setup.

Joe Jones

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 8:43 am     set up

I USE NV400 WITH A RV3.SET SETTINGS ON RV3 PER YOUR DESIRE.WORKS GREAT FOR ME.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 11:17 am    

I use a lot of different things, but mostly I use a MXR Carbon Copy in front of a Boss RV3. Actually I go from my Emmons into a Nashville 1000 then patch out to the effects and then stereo out back into the Nashville 1000 and a Nashville 400. I also have other processors when I want a different sound. I have a Line 6 Pod Pro, a Lexicon, Beringer, Ibanez, etc. I just wish there was somewhere I could try the stuff before I spend the money. Lots of other stuff I would like to try. I want to add a compressor next.

Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 11:20 am    

I'm curious about what the compressor does with the signal/sound? Keep in mind I'm trying to learn from you guys/gals! Not trying to be nosy.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 11:31 am    

The compressor evens out your output, knocks off the peaks. Leaves you with a nice even and consistant sound level. If you do a search here on the forum you will find where these have been discussed in detail. That way you could hear it from the guys that are already using them. Or I'm sure if you made a new topic asking who is using them you would get a lot of information.

Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 11:35 am    

Thanks Harry. So it's similar to using a compressor on voices to keep them from blowing you away if they really get on it? I thought maybe on the steel it was to add some sustain or something, but it sounds like it's used the same as on mics.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 11:56 am    

compressors can give you a cool spitting sound..sharp attack to the note..but like lots of effects...flanger, chorus, octave, distiortion, etc..they're fun to experiment with and add special effects to certain recordings or performances. but in the long run just using a delay and some feeling and tasteful notes is most satisfactory to me.

Ron Anderson

Keystone Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 12:04 pm    

I use a dyna comp into a Behringer DD400.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 1:15 pm    

Steel, volume pedal, Twin. Sometimes add the old Echoplex.

Dan Blaisdell

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 5:07 pm    

SD-10 E9, to a Hilton, to a Sarno Black Box, to a TC Electronics Nova Delay, to a Nashville 112.

Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 5:48 pm    

What exactly does the black box do? Please elaborate if you don't mind.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 6:53 pm    

I just use a Danelectro- fish and chips, for the dobro sound. And get my echo, or reverb, from my amp.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 1:03 am    

Black Box info Doug.

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sgbb.html

Billy

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 2:31 am    

Guitar through a Hilton pedal then to a Bobro and Boss effects in a chain: FZ5, TR2,OC2,RV5,DD7. I like the bobro sound, but mine has a lot of hiss so I have to cut the highs on the amp when I use it. Probably need an eq in the effects chain to do that easily. I'm also trying to learn to use an e-bow and a Banshee talk box, but I'm sure not ready to use them outside my practice room (I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time) Confused . Other than the delay and the reverb, I use effects only occasionally for a change of pace.

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 4:32 am    

Doug,
From a live sound perspective..... Compression is very seldom used on vocal mics....Limiter, yes. It is set in such a way as to have no effect on the vocal sound, but just to prevent spiking (and level) to go beyond a certain level.
The parameters for Compression is totally different.
I suggest you read up on the differences between Compression and Limiting. They are very handy tools when applied correctly.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 7:36 am     effects......

I use the Loessberg system.....nothing but amp reverb.

I prefer the genuine sound of the steel coming through the amp.....and less stuff to carry....just guitar,amp,and seat.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 7:49 am    

Reverb is really the only effect I always use, but in certain instances and depending on the song style, overdrive or chorus.

If I am playing in a band situation on a large stage, I will set up my leslie, and then have the option of playing "Organ" parts.

I have tried leslie simulators but there is nothing like the real thing. The stereo effect just cannot be faked.

Dom

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 7:55 am    

Fessy > Hilton volume pedal > Boss TU-2 tuner > Dunlop Univibe > Fulltone OCD overdrive > MXR Carbon Copy analog delay > Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

I usually only use the delay.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 8:17 am    

Quote:
I use the Loessberg system.....nothing but amp reverb.

Me too Mike...

Brett Robinson

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 9:34 am     Signal Path

Sho~Bud > Goodrich VP > Vibrosonic Custom

Keeping it simple Wink

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 11:14 pm    

PSG > Boss LMB-3 (as matchbox and limiter/enhancer) > VP > AMP (NV-112 dialed "neutral for location" and with almost no reverb).
This simple set-up is based on the notions that most people - including me - want to hear the steel-guitar "as is", and not a cascade of effects.

Set-up is the same for all my PSGs, with only minor differences in settings for LMB-3 and amp-eq. More than enough "timbre" in my Dekleys to play with no reverb, while the others need a "2-3" on the amp-reverb to sound OK.

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 2:53 am     Is this really necessary...oh I think so

Just used this tonight!

(D10 8%5) Emmons PP(TrueTone E9, original Emmons single-coil C6), or Williams (Tonealigner Pickups) or various guitars-->-->

(Pedaltrain pedal board except for VP)
MXR 10-Bamd EQ->- Ernie Ball passive VP-->Boss NS2 Noise Suppresor (loop in OCD and MS10)->-
Fulltone OCD->Ibanez MS10 Metalcharger->Boss CE2 Chorus->>Ibanez Analog Delay>Boss Tremolo>EHX Nano Grail Reverb>Fulltone Fat Boost-->--------Marshall JCM 2000 100Watt DSL->closed-back cabinet 2x12 Celestion Classic Lead 80's.

Doug, most typical country songs I will only be using the delay and/or reverb.

The MXR I'm only using as a buffer for the steel guitar pickups into the volume pedal. The Noise Suppresor is mostly for my house electics Embarassed or single coils on 6-strings, and it helps keep the overdrive quiet.
The OCD is a great pedal that can get a variety of overdrive flavors. The Metal Charger is like a Tubescreamer, except more "over the top." Chorus is for regular guitar more than steel. The Boss Tremolo is OK--it was cheap and Trem is fun (try playing single-string melodies on the low strings, picking back near the bridge). I like the EHX Reverb, but I may try one of those stompboxes with the Lexicons that people are raving about. And then the FatBoost: another great Fulltone product. Can be used as a solo boost (it's got some grit), or when hitting a bunch of harmonics.

So I'm thinking of taking off the MXR EQ and using another pickup-load or buffer, and taking off the chorus. That gives me room for some sort of Leslie simulator and maybe some other toy!

Now granted, most honkytonk gigs I can just bring an old Boss reverb/delay....

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 8:42 am     What effects do you use and why?

I use a '74 Sho-Bud > Boss HV500H Volume Pedal > '95 Fender Super Amp with reverb set between 4&5.Occaisionally I'll use a lil delay. I try to keep it simple.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 12:38 pm    

Guitar - tuner - Volume pedal - from here it splits into 2 lines to a Pod X3 Rack unit which outputs to twin Peavey NV112s.
The pod handles all amp/cab modelling, compression, EQ, delay and reverb. Delay can be set to create a subtle "ping pong" effect between the twin amps.

Why?... I also play Bass, Baritone and regular guitar through this rig and can get the right setup for each instrument at the click of a footswitch.