The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Useable scale patterns
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2011 2:07 pm    

When I bought the Jeff Newman, Buddy Emmons Mike Auldridge, DeWitt Scott and Herby Wallace instructional materials, there were extremely useful scale patterns included in the instruction. I have subsequently bought scale books by mail that included nothing more than fretboard maps. While these are not completely useless, they don't really give too many hints about what patterns are the most useful and/or easiest to negotiate. Anybody know where to get some specific scale pattern suggestions for C6.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2011 2:33 pm    

Newman, Emmons, Aldridge, Scott & Wallace. Did you lose them?

Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2011 5:58 pm    

Still got 'em. The Emmons, Newman and Scott are loaned out. I've pretty much digested them. They all claim to be basic. I'm looking for intermediate to advanced stuff. Although I am going to ask for the Emmons back. I think I can gain alot from revisiting it.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2011 9:13 pm    

The "C6 Scales and Modes" book by Ken Albert and Jimmy Crawford is good if you can find a copy. I think the ISBN# is: 0-937376-01-9.

A book like "Scales for Jazz Improvisation" by Dan Haerle, ISBN#: 0-89898-705-9 will pretty much have the same content without tab.

"Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns" by Nicolas Slonimsky is the book that John Coltrane used to practice with.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2011 5:31 am    

Ed--if I may be so bold--the book that I just recently self-published, Bebop Lap Steel Guitar, is specifically laid out for C6 and has a section on playing scales (Major, Chromatic, Whole Tone and Diminished). It is not meant to be comprehensive, but it introduces a fresh way of playing them that works really well for playing seamless and fluid bebop and swing style lines, exploiting the C6 tuning. The section on scales is only 12 pages or so, but I do not present in all keys--I just present the approach and lay it out for one key. The rest is up to you to do.

Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2011 9:53 am    

I've been meaning to get your book anyway, Mike. I have found a few of the scales I need all by myself. But I find that things go alot quicker if somebody just shows you where the best way to play them on the neck is. I can transpose to the various keys.

And thanks to the rest of you for your comments. I'm well versed in music theory. But particularly when I got the Newman and Emmons scale information, I realized that just knowing the theory doesn't necessarily mean that a novice can find the best way to play it on the neck. Emmons in particular really showed me how to get around the neck in a way I hadn't done before.

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 5:14 am    

As well as the ones already mentioned, Steve Palousek's C6th instructional VHS tape is loaded with good scales and variations of ways to play them. It is a good course. I have spent the last week tabbing out the whole course so that I don't have to keep going back to the video, and because I also like to see it on paper. Steve is a monster player and really has some good ideas. It is available through Emmons Guitar Co. I just talked to Mrs. Lashley today, and it is still available, as well many other Steve Palousek courses. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Mike Wilson on 31 Jan 2011 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 12:53 pm    

This link has been posted before, it's beyond my grasp but it sounds like it's what you're after:

http://www.buddyemmons.com/Pockets.htm

Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 2:03 pm    

That is some excellent stuff, Jonathon. It is included in the Emmons instruction book I already have. I recommend it to anybody who plays C6....if you can find it. The book also includes the minor pockets. The best thing I've found in C6 so far.